Long trip: driving has changed

If you want to get anywhere when driving I5 and I15 in California, you join the convoy in the left hand lane. The right lane is really only for trucks and the insane who dart into it at 110mph and then force their way back into the left lane convoy after passing a car or two.

If you want to get anywhere when driving I5 and I15 in California, you join the convoy in the left hand lane. The right lane is really only for trucks and the insane who dart into it at 110mph and then force their way back into the left lane convoy after passing a car or two.
The open stretches between Sacramento and the grapevine are scary as hell on a holiday weekend. I somehow drove through a massive pileup in progress and came out completely unscathed back on the early 2000’s the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I drove the rest of the way behind the semis in the right lane.

6.) The Weaver: A person who switches lanes aggressively back and forth to get one car ahead; sometimes in stop-and-go traffic.

What would you call somebody who turns into an entrance that has very visible no-turn signs? I've noticed an increase of these folks - even got lucky enough to see a cop behind me pull over somebody in front of me for turning into a no-turn entrance.

... even got lucky enough to see a cop behind me pull over somebody in front of me for turning into a no-turn entrance.
The most righteous traffic stop I ever saw was about 30 years ago driving on Hwy 80 in California. Some clueless van driver was going 55 in the left lane when the flow of traffic was 65-70. This was back before the national 55 limit was repealed so everyone was speeding as usual. Lots of left-lane cars coming up on him, he doesn't yield, they go around him on the right. Then a CHP pulls up behind this van and turns on his blue/red emergency roof lights. No reaction. So the CHP turns on his siren, still no reaction! Then finally, the van starts to pull over -- not to the breakdown lane on his left, but crossing 4 lanes of freeway to his right, cutting people off in the process.

I can only imagine what the conversation and ticket was like. But kudos to that cop for ignoring the speeding flow of traffic, the passing on the right, and focusing on the root cause problem.

All of the safety systems are dumbing down drivers. They have come to rely on them to the point where they have simply forgotten their basic driving skills. Everyone now brakes later

Really don't think the percentage of cars on the road with a suite of safety systems supports saying things like "everyone now brakes later" etc. In my 2 XC trips I can't say late model drivers were worse than older car drivers. People look at cell phones in all kinds cars.

I'm getting to the point I hate driving on the freeway. One, it's getting too crowded. All those cars so close to each other. All piloted by different people with different abilities and temperaments. All going 60 - 80 mph, some even faster like it's some kind of game. Two, what happened to the CHP? I guess they turned it all over to anarchy. :/
Often as I get passed while in the right lane by some person who is going so fast it makes me feel like I am in reverse.... I wonder "where the hell are Police now!?" There is no reason (except emergency) for someone to be doing 90 to 100mph and putting others in danger like that. Most of those are likely the "road rage people" stories that we see with the bad endings.

Or, on certain interstates that's have a minum speed limit, someone going below that obstructing traffic. Best to maintain speed in my opinion, not way faster than traffic, but also not way slower either.

Or, on certain interstates that's have a minum speed limit, someone going below that obstructing traffic. Best to maintain speed in my opinion, not way faster than traffic, but also not way slower either.
I have to laugh cause it seems people eventually (me now) reach an age when / where we are never in a hurry anymore and are most likely to get run over for going too slow. Oh and probably with a blinker on in the middle of the interstate with no exits in sight.

I have to laugh cause it seems people eventually (me now) reach an age when / where we are never in a hurry anymore and are most likely to get run over for going too slow. Oh and probably with a blinker on in the middle of the interstate with no exits in sight.

And if you're driving that Chevelle a seat belt is hanging out the door :7) Know what you mean, speed limit or a couple over is fine.

I don’t get it, this sounds like same as it ever was.

Far fewer miles driven under COVID - fatalities went up substantially. Same behavior, fewer cars (higher average speeds).

Been there done that. :LOL:

I spent a couple of days doing some multi state driving. It’s been a while, and it was nice to roll a bit.

Getting bored with the radio and podcasts, I decided to watch the post lockdown driving styles people have.

Left lane hogs seem to have different types:

1. The zoomer, who is going much faster than anyone else. These people I can tolerate.

2. The drifter: they move over for those who want to pass, stay in the right lane, but then stay in the left when the end up there later.

3. The holder: they do the speed limit, or less, and just don’t care who is behind them. I noticed 18 wheelers starting to become this person. Even when the right lane is completely empty

4. The polite holder: moves over, but shoots right back into the left lane after being passed.
What I see, is typically there is about a 50/50 split between people who drive in the right lane and use the left for passing, and people who drive in the left and use the right for passing. Light traffic or heavy, it doesn't seem to matter. If not 50/50, it is pretty close. There's no longer any point to being aggravated by it because the old rule about keeping right except to pass appears to be DOA in 2020s America.

You can see the breakdown of societal politeness on the road. I have logged lots of miles towing trailers and driving lots of long trucks and I can say that the whole "left lane" issue is the result of people just being jerks. Everyone merging is under the impression that traffic will move over, they get to the last 50ft of a 1/2 mile on ramp before they think about matching speed and finding a slot to merge into. Then they get pissed if you cant move to the left. I have had quite a few people that ran onto the shoulder due to their own stupidity. The only way I move left is if the lane is clear and I am not jumping in front of someone who is closing. Thats the way we were taught and it was backed up by people I knew that drove truck for many years. Even when I move over people rarely give you time to get back to the right, theres always some dip in a Honda trying to pass you on the right....... Its anarchy for the most part.

You can see the breakdown of societal politeness on the road. I have logged lots of miles towing trailers and driving lots of long trucks and I can say that the whole "left lane" issue is the result of people just being jerks. Everyone merging is under the impression that traffic will move over, they get to the last 50ft of a 1/2 mile on ramp before they think about matching speed and finding a slot to merge into. Then they get pissed if you cant move to the left. I have had quite a few people that ran onto the shoulder due to their own stupidity. The only way I move left is if the lane is clear and I am not jumping in front of someone who is closing. Thats the way we were taught and it was backed up by people I knew that drove truck for many years. Even when I move over people rarely give you time to get back to the right, theres always some dip in a Honda trying to pass you on the right....... Its anarchy for the most part.
The on ramp thing is very true! I get on an interstate every morning, and most people do 35mph until the last 100 feet or so, when they can’t possible sped match, leading a train of 6 cars onto a crowded lane.

Long interstate trips are nothing like they were when I was a new driver. When I was 16 (1986), my parents and I drove from WY to FL for vacation. There were literally hours of interstate driving where I could set the cruise and rarely have to adjust it or kick it off. This is an impossibility now.

I see people merge onto highways and head straight for the left lane, and there we are, piled up behind the moron going 60 in a 70. The center and right lanes are sometimes faster on highways in and around Dallas, because people just HAVE to be in the left lane, regardless of their intentions. Cops are still present, but they rarely enforce the left lane laws here. They're too busy looking for speeders and window tint violators.

I had a pretty long drive bringing the Mustang home from Colorado. Just another eye-opener as to the lack of skills, or courtesy, of today's licensed drivers. I was able to use the cruise control once as I got very close to home, as it was 10PM.

Things get worse as you head to east Texas. All those oldsters on the 4-lane highways (175) camp on the left in their old farm trucks and 2000's Impalas, not taking a hint from the hundreds of cars that whip around them on the right, and move back left just as their rear bumper clears him / her. When I'm crawling along, 30 cars back from the idiot at the front of the line, I find myself wishing the Mustang came standard with a rocket launcher. I wonder if anyone has produced a video game with this theme....

If there's one thing they could probably remove from new cars as a cost-saver, it would be cruise control. Who can use it anymore? I guess some folks like the adaptive cruise, but in Texas, if you leave a gap, the dummies are just going to go around you and fill it.

I'm glad I spend most of my long trips in the RV. Typically set the cruise 67 in the right lane, center lane in the cites, and it avoids most issues. The rare person going slower in the right lane or Weiner driver I bump it up to 70-75 depending on what's coming and pass. But I have seen all the above in normal drives around Kansas City and trips to down to Nevada, it's rare I get to use the cruise in any area anymore. I'm also glad I ride the bike to work to avoid 670 traffic daily! On the bike at least twice a week I have to yell at people to go at lights since their on their phones, thinking of air horn.

Back