Long trip: driving has changed

The rental Corolla I had was a decent car with lots of bells and whistles. Lane holding is cool, but a constant fight, as the car and I disagree on proper lane placement ( it hugs the right side of the lane, whereas I center the car) You can keep adaptive cruise control, as I found it to be very frustrating and over sensitive.
Truer words were never spoken!

I visited Arlington, TX 4 times from late last year thru July of this year. I found the drivers to be very polite, let me in, etc. Now the fast lanes were really speeding all the time, so I didn't like that. But overall I was pleasently surprised. Better than Silicon Valley for sure.

If I'm tailgating you on the freeway, it's a *hint* for you to move over to a slower lane 👋

If I am doing 80 in a 65 zone which probably means that I am moving with the flow of traffic here in California and you are tailgating me it means that you are a hazard to the others on the road and you need to rethink your d-bag driving behavior.

But I'll probably still move over and let you be the bait for a ticket, or let you be a danger to someone else.

I visited Arlington, TX 4 times from late last year thru July of this year. I found the drivers to be very polite, let me in, etc. Now the fast lanes were really speeding all the time, so I didn't like that. But overall I was pleasently surprised. Better than Silicon Valley for sure.
Did you have California plates? They might have thought you were Elon Musk. You might not have gotten the same courtesy with plates from a northern or rust belt state.

Did you have California plates? They might have thought you were Elon Musk. You might not have gotten the same courtesy with plates from a northern or rust belt state.
I was driving my niece's Odyssey which is registered there. But you are right, everyone was very courteous. In the stores, whereever. Nice, polite people. Even when I told them I was a crazy Californian.

As many of you know-I have pulled (continue to pull) a travel trailer all around the country. I stay in the two right hand lanes at 65 mph (gas mpg gets even worse pulling 5,000 pounds if you exceed that speed) and let the idiots do what ever they do on the rest of the highway. I have even seen many towers pass me and then several miles ahead have a blow out on their trailer. ST tires just are not tough enough for higher sustained speeds. I have never had a blow out.......

As many of you know-I have pulled (continue to pull) a travel trailer all around the country. I stay in the two right hand lanes at 65 mph (gas mpg gets even worse pulling 5,000 pounds if you exceed that speed) and let the idiots do what ever they do on the rest of the highway. I have even seen many towers pass me and then several miles ahead have a blow out on their trailer. ST tires just are not tough enough for higher sustained speeds. I have never had a blow out.......
Most semi-truck tires from China have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph. Some Western states allow 80 mph on rural interstates. Oops...

Most semi-truck tires from China have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph. Some Western states allow 80 mph on rural interstates. Oops...

Most trucks owned by large companies have governors due to insurance reasons. Trucks limited to what ever speeds are less to insure verses one's that can go much faster.

Last edited:

The study doesn't mean the systems are inherently dangerous. But it suggests that the auto industry has to do a better job of educating drivers about the limitations of such systems, which are incapable of making sophisticated decisions on the road, which self-driving cars promise to do, Horrey said.

Don't blame the tool, blame the operator. Driving aids is not the problem, people are.

Yup, they drive like maniacs but the type of driving and traffic here forces you to keep your eyes glued to the road and react very fast.

I don't necessarily agree that CA and NV drivers are good, but I guess they are good at avoiding accidents. But yeah otherwise this map is pretty close to my experiences lol. It's even more impressive when you consider that the states that are safest are largely the most densely populated states, and the ones with higher fatality rates tend toward more rural. Especially this one, at least the Wyoming ones are hopefully mostly people hitting deer or running themselves off the road and not hurting other people.

ikqKA9f.png

For the tailgaters we need a bumper sticker or rear window cling that says " The Closer You Get, The Slower I Go"
OR
"I know my Rear End is cute, but it Looks Even Better 50 Feet Back"

I don't necessarily agree that CA and NV drivers are good, but I guess they are good at avoiding accidents. But yeah otherwise this map is pretty close to my experiences lol. It's even more impressive when you consider that the states that are safest are largely the most densely populated states, and the ones with higher fatality rates tend toward more rural. Especially this one, at least the Wyoming ones are hopefully mostly people hitting deer or running themselves off the road and not hurting other people.

ikqKA9f.png
People tend to drive "passively" in more rural areas because the open roads and lack of heavy traffic offers a false sense of security.

If I am doing 80 in a 65 zone which probably means that I am moving with the flow of traffic here in California and

But I'll probably still move over and let you be the bait for a ticket, or let you be a danger to someone else.

If I am doing 80 in a 65 zone which probably means that I am moving with the flow of traffic here in California and you are tailgating me it means that you are a hazard to the others on the road and you need to rethink your d-bag driving behavior.

Think about it: what's more hazardous, a d-bag wanting to go faster then the flow of a traffic that already exceeds the speed limit by 15 mph OR someone blocking that d-bag causing him to tailgate, overtake

There is a reason why police doesn't always engage in pursuit of a speeder, depending on his speed and contextual environment.

When I have free time and encounter a left lane hogger (even if he does 10 over), I like to overtake him (safely, with a turn signal) and then set my cruise at speed limit in front of him. Boy do they "love" the taste of their own medicine! 😂

A lot of left lane driving out here is because the right lane is so rough and torn up. I did 2 big road trips this summer, Az to Baltimore then 2 months later Baltimore to Az, both wth rental box vans pulling a car. You see some crazy and stupid stuff and all you can do is be aware and get away from the craziness. Worst for us numerous times was trying to leave a safety gap in traffic and having someone jump in the hole and put the brakes on.
Totally agree about the pavement issue in the right lane vs the left.

As for the gap cutters, they're the reason I installed a set of Hella Supertones. Seems like the worst offenders around here are gardeners pulling trailers. I've had slam on the brakes to avoid being clipped a couple of times in the past few years.

Agreed, but I'll still take Massholes over CA or southern drivers any day of the week
I live in southern New Hampshire and commute to mass everyday, and there is a difference between Mass drivers and New Hampshire drivers. Whenever someone cuts me off I’ll look at the plate and yup! Mass plates. But I’m from Massachusetts, so I suppose I’m part of the problem. 🤣🤣

But you’re right, as bad as Mass drivers are, most of them can drive...unlike some states ive been where the person behind the wheel is clueless/dangerous, while driving “safer”. Yet, I’d rather drive in any city other than Boston. I hate it. The traffic, the roundabouts, the detours, the intersections, the pedestrians, the construction. Honestly, I think I’d rather drive in NY city...at least the streets are in a grid.

Back