JLR 2.0 Ingenium engine oil grade

At the moment I’m not concerned about the saps content and the possible DPF blocking but then I wouldn’t want deposit build up in the engine that’s a possibility with a higher saps oil.

If the 504/507 will stand up better than the C2 JLR oil in regards to fuel dilution and staying in grade then I guess there’s no need to go up to a 40 weight oil?

If you aren't concerned about DPF issues then you haven't owned a JLR diesel for long.

If you aren't concerned about DPF issues then you haven't owned a JLR diesel for long.
I was a LR master technician before leaving to work for Audi. The DPF issues they have can be easily solved by having an awareness of what your car is doing. I’m not concerned about ash mass build up as your engine needs to be burning oil for this to happen.

Oil changed today using some of this from my stock pile (oil from previous A4 2.0 TDI owned for 3 years 80,000 miles)

Attachments

• 09A530B2-E1F7-4A86-A2A9-C0A835D8224F.jpeg
    09A530B2-E1F7-4A86-A2A9-C0A835D8224F.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 60
  • B50FD110-AA4A-4D77-AB45-433EC1FBD170.jpeg
    B50FD110-AA4A-4D77-AB45-433EC1FBD170.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 9B592443-7D95-4B74-9736-5469AE5E3D9D.jpeg
    9B592443-7D95-4B74-9736-5469AE5E3D9D.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 60
Oil changed today using some of this from my stock pile (oil from previous A4 2.0 TDI owned for 3 years 80,000 miles)
That'll work alright. On diesel Ingeniums there are reports of timing chain breakdowns, could be the result of extended OCI by JLR. Be on the watch. Mine is a gas/petrol, no bad reports on both sides Jaguar & LL forums. Seems solid and dependable engine.

So just to update this, car has now had the balance shafts and bearings replaced! Became noisy a few weeks ago. No issues claiming off the warranty so all is good.

Now to see how long the timing chain lasts!

I'm a member of a Jaguar forum & there is an owner with a 2.0 Inginium Diesel. had a problem with timing chain @ 70K. ) Can't remember if it's km or mi. (Maybe the result of that 16K miles extended OCI). I think JLR fixed the timing chain issue on Diesel right after 2018 models I believe. So far, the petrol 2.0 Ingeniums remained to be solid. I do frequent Land Rover forums a well.

Last edited:
So the wife is looking at getting a 2016 2.0 diesel Ingenium evoque and looking online these can suffer with fuel dilution issues effecting both balancer shaft bearing wear and timing chain wear (lengthening). This is caused by poor engine software and DPF placement (under the centre of the car as opposed to directly onto the back of the turbo)

It looks like JLR spec a 0w30 to a C2 spec so what I’m wondering is if anyone has a recommendation for a oil that will stay in grade better or say be less likely to drop below a 0w30. So is it worth looking at a 0w40 or a 5w40 diesel oil?

Car will come with a 3rd party warranty and any repair work would come through where I work so not concerned about oil testing.

Thanks
I would have personally advised going for the older 2.2 diesel.

Its a bit rough and ready but is robust.

The Ingenium engine was designed around the oil specs from JLR.

Unlike the 3.0V6 diesel which was a development of the older 2.7 and which was specced for different oils, I ran mine on 5w40 that met the requirements for the DPF, I think it was the oil specs Citroen or Peugeot specified in certain climates.

Fuel dilution of the oil isn't a JLR thing, its a DPF thing, they all do it, there is no way to avoid it

Biggest issue with the Ingenium is unfortunately camchain problems, a small pin fails which allows one of the sprocket on the cam to spin.

Job is around £1500/2000.

Most do it as preventative maintenance

I'm a member of a Jaguar forum & there is an owner with a 2.0 Inginium Diesel. had a problem with timing chain @ 70K. ) Can't remember if it's km or mi. (Maybe the result of that 16K miles extended OCI). I think JLR fixed the timing chain issue on Diesel right after 2018 models I believe. So far, the petrol 2.0 Ingeniums remained to be solid. I do frequent Land Rover forums a well.
Usual issue is the small pin that locates the sprocket on the end of the cam breaks.

Not a lubricant problem, a design problem.

Even when it breaks the engine isn't usually a right of and is good to go after a new camchain kit.

I was a LR master technician before leaving to work for Audi. The DPF issues they have can be easily solved by having an awareness of what your car is doing. I’m not concerned about ash mass build up as your engine needs to be burning oil for this to happen.
Ash build up happens in all DPFs.

I am surprised you don't know that.

Ash build up happens in all DPFs.

I am surprised you don't know that.
Hi bigjl,

The oil dilution is definitely a Land Rover ”thing” as the evoque has a poorly placed DPF in the pre 19my, all cars before the new floor pan was release suffer with fuel dilution like no other diesel. These cars are in a near constant regen mode. You simply cannot compare this to any other brands diesel engine.

As for the pin breaking not being covered by the warranty, this would be covered under anyones definition of sudden mechanical failure, for a warranty company to try and deny this as a wear item would be a breach of contract as the pin is not a scheduled service item. If a manu wants a part of the engines timing system to be a wear item then it would be a scheduled service part.

The ash mass of a DPF is a non issue, never have I seen a DPF require replacement due to ASH mass overload.

Last edited:
Hi bigjl,

The oil dilution is definitely a Land Rover ”thing” as the evoque has a poorly placed DPF in the pre 19my, all cars before the new floor pan was release suffer with fuel dilution like no other diesel. These cars are in a near constant regen mode. You simply cannot compare this to any other brands diesel engine.

As for the pin breaking not being covered by the warranty, this would be covered under anyones definition of sudden mechanical failure, for a warranty company to try and deny this as a wear item would be a breach of contract as the pin is not a scheduled service item. If a manu wants a part of the engines timing system to be a wear item then it would be a scheduled service part.

The ash mass of a DPF is a non issue, never have I seen a DPF require replacement due to ASH mass overload.
I cannot see any issues in using a 5w30 ACEA C3 in this engine.I have used Castrol Edge 5w30 LL in engines that call up a C2 or C3 with zero issues.

The actual wear is the rollers. They wear and that makes the roller to roller distance increase.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I was referring to. This is what makes the overall chain length longer, that’s why it’s called lengthening 🙂

I ran my VW PD diesel on Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck/Delvac 1. I had NONE of the common PD engine issues. Everyone else I knew suffered with these engines while insisting on the VAG required specs.

Fiat/alfa also spec 21k oci for their diesels. But the dpf is close coupled, and they have a timing belt.

However some ghave experienced the actuator for the variable oil pump sticking, from what I can see it's the ones sticking to the oci that get that. I did more frequent oil changes, but less frequent filter changes and never had an issue.

I ran my VW PD diesel on Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck/Delvac 1. I had NONE of the common PD engine issues. Everyone else I knew suffered with these engines while insisting on the VAG required specs.
The evoque currently has castrol 504/507 in the sump, and is running quieter than ever after the balance shafts with bearings were replaced.

I’m happy to hear suggestions on the next oil when it needs changing next year, remember I’m in the UK so I need to be able to buy it locally.

I also have a Discovery with the 3.0 TDV6 that specs the same oil as the evoque, that I’m using VAG bottled 502/505 Shell helix ultra, these are known for wearing out con rod big end bearings and crankshaft bearings.

Do you think the Mobil 1 TDT is a better oil?

Last edited:
Back