JLR 2.0 Ingenium engine oil grade

So the wife is looking at getting a 2016 2.0 diesel Ingenium evoque and looking online these can suffer with fuel dilution issues effecting both balancer shaft bearing wear and timing chain wear (lengthening). This is caused by poor engine software and DPF placement (under the centre of the car as opposed to directly onto the back of the turbo)

It looks like JLR spec a 0w30 to a C2 spec so what I’m wondering is if anyone has a recommendation for a oil that will stay in grade better or say be less likely to drop below a 0w30. So is it worth looking at a 0w40 or a 5w40 diesel oil?

Car will come with a 3rd party warranty and any repair work would come through where I work so not concerned about oil testing.

Thanks

I can get 502/505 5w40 from work ( vag grey bottle should be Shell oil), any opinions on this or recommendations for another oil available in the UK?

It’s not in the Afton Specification Handbook so it’s not readily available. It appears to be a mid-SAPS specification with fuel economy considerations based on ACEA C2. In that case any ACEA C3 oil would work if you’re not worried about a very small economy hit. Castrol sells a C3 oil here in the US at a very reasonable price. ACEA C3 has a higher HT/HS requirement if you’re worried about the oil staying in grade as compared to C2’s lower limit.

I couldn’t give two hoots about fuel economy. I would much rather a decent oil for long engine life. I’m not overly concerned about oil ash build up in the DPF either.

HT/HS with a resulting higher MOFT is what protects engines in the long run. ACEA C3 seems like a good fit, generally that is the basis for and is combined with a manufacturer approval such as VW 504 00, BMW Longlife-04 or an equivalent Mercedes-Benz approval. Those are demanding approvals.

At the moment I’m not concerned about the saps content and the possible DPF blocking but then I wouldn’t want deposit build up in the engine that’s a possibility with a higher saps oil.

If the 504/507 will stand up better than the C2 JLR oil in regards to fuel dilution and staying in grade then I guess there’s no need to go up to a 40 weight oil?

Does anyone know the specification requirements for STJLR.03.5007?
0W-30, ACEA C2-type plus a long list of additional, JLR-specified lab tests and 5 additional engine tests covering deposits, wear and fuel economy.

Does anyone know the specification requirements for STJLR.03.5007?
I own a Jaguar XF 2.0T Engenium (Petrol). I do a short OCI every 5K miles. I can use any top tier brand full synthetic oil without the STJLR approval on short OCI. If you follow the extended JLR recommended OCI, your car's timing chain will surely fail before 80K miles. I would suggest doing a short OCI like I do and you don't need to use the STJLR approved oil.

I wouldn’t use any ofJLR’s oil‘s or specs for any of their engines. Too much focus on fuel economy and emissions rather than engine life.

I think JLR has the longest extended OIC of 16K miles beating BMW's 15K miles OIC. MB, Audi & Volvo requires 10K miles for their cars.

In the UK they run them to 21,000 miles on an oil change beating VAG’s 19,000 miles. All to lower the cost of ownership for the lease companies

So the wife is looking at getting a 2016 2.0 diesel Ingenium evoque and looking online these can suffer with fuel dilution issues effecting both balancer shaft bearing wear and timing chain wear (lengthening). This is caused by poor engine software and DPF placement (under the centre of the car as opposed to directly onto the back of the turbo)

It looks like JLR spec a 0w30 to a C2 spec so what I’m wondering is if anyone has a recommendation for a oil that will stay in grade better or say be less likely to drop below a 0w30. So is it worth looking at a 0w40 or a 5w40 diesel oil?

Car will come with a 3rd party warranty and any repair work would come through where I work so not concerned about oil testing.

Thanks

The most important thing to do with an JLR diesel is to ignore the overly long service intervals.

I always did an interim oil change in my XJL with the 3.0d and never had any issues with the bottom end.

The only person who I know stuck to the 16k mile interval spun a bearing at just below 100k miles.

Back