0W30 vs 5W30 oil (vs fuel consumption?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I drive an Volvo V40 2.0 - 5-cylinder diesel! When I put my license plate on oil-sites it says 0W30 C2 or C3. But my garage where I bought from putted 5W30, I have a little bit of oil consumption.

Should I stay with 5W30? And if yes, which one? I have and dpf ofc. what smokes a bit. So what is than better? The C2 or C3?

Any difference is going to be infinitesimally small. So much so that any measured differences without the use professional lab equipment and conditions are going to be just statistical noise.

Oke, thank you! And with cold starts, is ofc. 0W30 a bit faster in winter conditions. Is there any other things I can check on? Any specs?

A 0W-30 will usually have higher NOACK volatility than a 5W-30, which can lead to increased oil consumption, though it's not all about grade so you'll have to find the specs to be sure.

The 0W-30 will also usually be thinner in the high-shear conditions at the piston rings, which can also lead to increased oil consumption. By some accounts thinner oil can actually reduce oil consumption in some engines if it allows the oil control rings to work better.

You could try a different oil and see if your consumption decreases. A 5W-30 is probably be the better choice if you don't drive in extreme cold weather.

A 0W-30 will usually have higher NOACK volatility than a 5W-30, which can lead to increased oil consumption, though it's not all about grade so you'll have to find the specs to be sure.

The 0W-30 will also usually be thinner in the high-shear conditions at the piston rings, which can also lead to increased oil consumption. By some accounts thinner oil can actually reduce oil consumption in some engines if it allows the oil control rings to work better.

You could try a different oil and see if your consumption decreases. A 5W-30 is probably be the better choice if you don't drive in extreme cold weather.
Thank you! I really appreciate your reply back! The Volvo with 5W30 consumes a bit of oil. And I life in the Netherlands winters is almost never below -0 maybe 2 a 3 times a year it does.

Because I have a diesel and I drive sometimes small trips I was thinking about the 0W oil.

"Big" is subjective but there's a difference otherwise there would be no reason to test for it. My wild guess is that the difference is around 1 percent. Note some 30 grade oils can be both C3 and C2. Example M1 ESP 5w30

Thanks but... Is it really that big of a difference? In fuel consumption?
You would struggle to measure it against the noise of traffic and behavioral influence. It’s only significant for OEMs trying to avoid penalties.

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply back! The Volvo with 5W30 consumes a bit of oil. And I life in the Netherlands winters is almost never below -0 maybe 2 a 3 times a year it does.

Because I have a diesel and I drive sometimes small trips I was thinking about the 0W oil.

With those temps, you could even use a 10w30 if oil consumption is a big issue for you. The winter rating is not an issue here. If you are regularly getting down to -30C or so, then you want to think about 0w vs 5w.

0w is only going to show it’s differences at extreme cold temps (not “cold start”). Are you running an oil rated for diesels - C2 or C3 labeled on bottle? Personally I would use a C3 (and do) for the greater HTHS.

but wait ,this is the 3d topic you create man.. 😂

but wait ,this is the 3d topic you create man.. 😂
Sometimes you wonder if people ever do anything with the advice they get or if they just continue to post.

"Big" is subjective but there's a difference otherwise there would be no reason to test for it. My wild guess is that the difference is around 1 percent. Note some 30 grade oils can be both C3 and C2. Example M1 ESP 5w30
I swear by M1 Extended performance. As said, some have the "c" diesel rating. I used the european 0w40 in my MB sprinter for years. I dont know your year however check your application recommendation on the M1 web site. Check boot after the turbo. if its oily it may be a bad turbo seal. I run 5w30 M1 extended performance in a old subaru and reduced my oil consumption down 2/3for whatever the reason. Good luck

Sometimes you wonder if people ever do anything with the advice they get or if they just continue to post.

sometimes people are just looking for the one bonehead out there who would do it exactly like they would which is that confirmation bias
Eddy was talking about. :)

Me, being a real man, I very rarely suffer the public humiliation of asking for advice or directions and give anybody a chance to tell me how wrong I am. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back