Jiffy Lube experience

What was the point of them telling you that ? They don't do engine repairs or replacements.
Liability release. If you pull right back in and say “ever since you changed the oil, my engine started knocking”

My assumption(from a guy who was not there nor has ever looked at the car so not worth much)was that this was either a miscommunication or mistake on the part of the guy pulling the dipstick. Maybe it was really clean oil still and he thought it empty. Maybe the car in the bay next to yours had no oil on the stick. I don’t see how it would be to their advantage to lie about something of that nature.

I've said it before but I was shocked the first time in my local Grease Monkey watching them do the same thing.

I had never used a quick lube of any kind but stopped in because my county said they take waste oil and waste coolant.

They were trying to upsell EVERYTHING to this soccer mom with the complete deer-in-headlights stare coupled with a a kill-me-now look as her screaming kids, well, screamed. They're trying to show her samples of what were allegedly her transmission and t-case fluids and show how they were dirty.

I found the whole thing unethical because she had no idea what she was looking at AND the samples I saw were good for many, many, many more miles.

Note to self: Grease Monkey only good for accepting old fluids. And I hate to bash them because this is a community service

They have a fixed rate for ALL cars so that covers all costs of different filters as well as different amounts of labor necessary. My Infiniti and my wife's Fusion aren't getting changed in 10 minutes unless the person is actually racing to do it. Those of course offset the Honda-style cabin air filters that can truly be done in 5 minutes.
Yeah, my wife's 06 Forester needed half the dash removed to get the cabin air filter. It was the dumbest design ever compared to Honda, Toyota, and the new Subaru (which is 5 minutes).

Would you like the extended warranty with that electronic device/appliance?
Would you like an appetizer or adult beverage with your meal?
Would you be interested in a store line of credit?
Would you like a car wash with your fuel purchase?
You want up size that combo meal for $x?
Would you like extra butter on your popcorn?
Need any fuel treatment today? It’s on sale - BOGO.
Would you like the road hazard protection with your tire purchase?

Upselling is everywhere, not just JL. Just say no. It’s not the end of the world.

Last edited:
To be fair, did he say it was Hyundai's recommendation, or theirs? I'm sure they would highly recommend changing it every 5K so they can make more money so your engine has optimal protection.

That isn't Hyundai's recommendation.

I received an invoice from a Valvoline IOC somewhere on the west coast that was misdirected to my email address. It was for a ‘20 Elantra: $92 for the synth oil change , $20 for the COMPLETE FUEL TREATMENT minus $10 coupon: $110 OTD.

I’d say you got a deal at the JL!

I received an invoice from a Valvoline IOC somewhere on the west coast that was misdirected to my email address. It was for a ‘20 Elantra: $92 for the synth oil change , $20 for the COMPLETE FUEL TREATMENT minus $10 coupon: $110 OTD.

I’d say you got a deal at the JL!
Plus the fun I had with the Bozo greeter.
I'm going to leave a review on Yelp,it will be a fun one. :p

Does anyone know what oil filter Jiffy Lube uses?
I would assume the cheapest they can source that meets the minimum specs.

I left a review on Yelp about trying to sell me an air filter for a car with 17K miles on it.
And also the recommendation that it should be changed every 5K to 6K miles.
The owner does respond to some of the reviews so we will see.

Around here it's the white filters with blue print. Very minimalistic markings....I can't remember the brand and I just emptied my old filters at O'Reilly tonight!

They remind of when grocery stores had a generics aisle and everything was in white packages with minimal black font.

I think this may be determined by the type of oil they feature. A bar buddy and his brother opened a Zippy Lube in town that featured Pennzoil, it was around $22 for up to five quarts, oil filter and top off all fluids. The Pennzoil was bulk and the oil filter was a Pennzoil. At that time they did carry other brands of quarts but the oil filters they used were all Pennzoil. Fast forward a few years and they switched to Valvoline which was a lot different, you could only get Valvoline bulk, no quarts and the oil filters were all Valvoline.

Last edited:
Back