This is what happens if you just go to Jiffy Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is what your engine will look like if you just go to Jiffy lube every 5k miles for 100k/8 years:

This is 99k miles of Jiffy lube standard changes every 5k, then a 6k run with PP 10w-30. 105k total. We took off the rocker cover today to try to deal with unusual oil use/PCV valve nonsense on this car. The tiny debris visible fell in from the intake manifold; my dad was working with me and he's impatient and took off the cover once loosened before I cleaned above it. Hx is that my mom was "issued" this car new in 2007 as a company car. She drove it mostly long highway miles for 3 years/60k miles as regional manager for a large Fortune 500 company. When they replaced in 2010/2011 with a Toyota Rav4 (horrible car to be honest, and I'm a Toyota fan), my parents bought the car from PHH as they thought it was worth the depreciated value. They continued 3k to 5k OCI's at the same Jiffy Lube from 2010 to 2015 from 60k to 99k, though it was the short-tripped excessively since then vs. the previous highway miles.

I am a fan of synthetic but this is hard to argue with. It had no real maintenance other than oil change a few years so last spring I did the brake, AT, and oil (PP 10w-30) and this is one year/5,700 miles later after 8 straight years of Jiffy Lube. The PP came out black as sin so it did some great cleaning. The oil in it is M1 with less than 500 miles. So clearly they are cleaning, but not enough to account entirely for this condition.

And if anyone can figure out what the cra(p)tastic Chevy dealer did to butcher the PCV/evap system the thread is here:

Cra(p)tastic Chevrolet dealer service

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You can't complain about the cleanliness of that engine.

Nope, you cannot.

To be clear, it has 5,800 miles of synthetic and I did toss in 1/2 pint of ATF before the oil change for 50 miles to clean. But all that could have done is help a bit, not account for this.

I am a fan of synthetic but I also believe in evidence and honesty so I was dang impressed when we opened this up today.

I know nothing about Jiffy Lube as a company so cannot comment about "scam." this is just an interesting example since it's a (probably) rare example of a car that had a consistent OCI at the same place for that many miles/that many years (99k/8 years). I know it just got their "basic" service and bulk 5w-30; what it was I do not know. I didn't make a note but the filter I took off last spring was just some white-can mass jobber filter, and all it ever saw until recently.

Those engines are not hard on oil but most JL complaints are not about the oil but the under trained/paid people doing the work.

Looks sweet. Just goes to show what regular oil changes with almost any oil can do. I would also guess that you kept it topped off between OCIs. This kind of info doesn't play well with the oil obsessed who love to micro analyze UOAs, but whatever floats your boat is what makes freedom of choice great.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Those engines are not hard on oil but most JL complaints are not about the oil but the under trained/paid people doing the work.

The odd thing is most JL locations never seem busy so it's not like the techs are rushing the job. It seems like flat out incompetence, especially in the case of the guy who took his Audi in and they ended up doing all sorts of damage to it.

One of the purposes of a PCV valve is to prevent backfire pressure from getting into the engine. Backfires are VERY rare now, so a orifice is used in many engines. An orifice needs cleaned as the gunks up. A well designed PCV can adapt a little to some sludge and some increased blow by. So I see the orifice as cost cutting, and lower quality.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You can't complain about the cleanliness of that engine.

Nope, you cannot.

To be clear, it has 5,800 miles of synthetic and I did toss in 1/2 pint of ATF before the oil change for 50 miles to clean. But all that could have done is help a bit, not account for this.

I am a fan of synthetic but I also believe in evidence and honesty so I was dang impressed when we opened this up today.

I know nothing about Jiffy Lube as a company so cannot comment about "scam." this is just an interesting example since it's a (probably) rare example of a car that had a consistent OCI at the same place for that many miles/that many years (99k/8 years). I know it just got their "basic" service and bulk 5w-30; what it was I do not know. I didn't make a note but the filter I took off last spring was just some white-can mass jobber filter, and all it ever saw until recently.

Like I said no complaints about the cleanliness of that engine. Then add as others said, stay away from Jiffy Lube. You might not be so lucky next time.
wink.gif

I love reading the positive quick lube threads here. Eight strait years with no stripped plugs, loose filters or under/over filing, looks like you found a good one, I'd have no problem going back.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
One of the purposes of a PCV valve is to prevent backfire pressure from getting into the engine. Backfires are VERY rare now, so a orifice is used in many engines. An orifice needs cleaned as the gunks up. A well designed PCV can adapt a little to some sludge and some increased blow by. So I see the orifice as cost cutting, and lower quality.

I own a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker with the 440HP (TnT), 120-some thousand miles on it and still running like a top with the factory original PCV valve.

JL uses bulk PYB for their low end changes, more proof that PYB is one of the best cleaning oils out there, as long as it isn't pushed too far. I like 5K OCIs on the company vehicles as well.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
JL uses bulk PYB for their low end changes, more proof that PYB is one of the best cleaning oils out there, as long as it isn't pushed too far. I like 5K OCIs on the company vehicles as well.

FormulaShell around here.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Jiffy Lube are proven scammers

Some locations definitely have been proven so! But I see that THIS JiffyLube did its job correctly.

Your actions are the reason. Grease monkey George could do the same. Surprised Jiffy lube hasn't stripped out your drain plug yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back