2012 Hyundai Accent Blown Engine, under 100K miles, on 3K Jiffy Lube conventional changes.

You think so Google Hyundia engine problems you will get pages worth of site. I really like the looks of their cars but I'm not going into denial that they have engine issues. If they didn't tell me why are they replacing engines if its not their fault or engineering problem?

Again... I agree with you: there was a specific family of engines which were affected by bearing failure. Yes, it was wide spread. Yes, it was costly for Hyundai. That issue was handled, and handled quite well by the OE

I manage a small retail garage, and we get a LOT of Hyundai/Kia vehicles with both the 2.4, and the 1.6, that come in low on oil.
You tell the owners, and they just kinda shrug; they often really don’t care. Todays absolutely disposable vehicle.

Same here. I also get a ton of post-0W20 K24 and J35 Hondas, along with ANY Subaru post-2005. Low tension rings combined with super low viscosity oils which are expected to serve longer and longer OCI's.... it's the natural outcome.

"Oil hungry" engines have been around FOREVER. The Mitsubishi 6G, the Toyota 1zz, the Chrysler 2.7, 3.7, 4.7. Many many Ford Modular motors. The list is endless.

Last edited:
You think so Google Hyundia engine problems you will get pages worth of site. I really like the looks of their cars but I'm not going into denial that they have engine issues. If they didn't tell me why are they replacing engines if its not their fault or engineering problem?
That article just mentions the well known issues with the Theta II, and the Nu defective piston rings. I can’t defend Hyundai for those problems and I’m disappointed the Theta problems have lasted so long, but the Gamma 1.6L doesn’t really suffer from any timing issues. Lack of maintenance related issues, sure, but if you maintain it, it’s been a pretty good engine.

Last edited:
That article just mentions the well known issues with the Theta II problems and the Nu defective piston rings. I can’t defend Hyundai for those problems and I’m disappointed the Theta problems have lasted so long, but the Gamma 1.6L doesn’t really suffer from any timing issues. Lack of maintenance related issues, sure, but if you maintain it, it’s been a pretty good engine.
I'll probably have 500k+ on mine before I retire it. Almost 200k now and it sounds turbine smooth, burns no oil, and is missing no horses.

Back