2012 Hyundai Accent Blown Engine, under 100K miles, on 3K Jiffy Lube conventional changes.

The Valvoline Instant Oil Change shop I took my work vehicle to yesterday (21 Bronco Sport) billed the company $105 for an oil change with Synthetic Maxlife 5w20. I don't care because I'm not putting the bill but that being said they did inform me that, according to them, I was receiving the fleet vehicle discount 🤣
How many quarts does it hold?

The Valvoline Instant Oil Change shop I took my work vehicle to yesterday (21 Bronco Sport) billed the company $105 for an oil change with Synthetic Maxlife 5w20. I don't care because I'm not putting the bill but that being said they did inform me that, according to them, I was receiving the fleet vehicle discount 🤣
Valvoline charges what they do because they're super fast and all they do is oil changes and minor maintenance, in and out in 5 minutes vs an hour or two at a full service shop.

Don’t Hyundai engines have a interval that says to change the pcv every 40K or so. My buddy has a 2006 and in the book it mentions it.

Don’t Hyundai engines have a interval that says to change the pcv every 40K or so. My buddy has a 2006 and in the book it mentions it.
Mine doesn't but it's recommended you remove and inspect them regularly. If you change your oil frequently it won't get clogged. I replaced mine at 120k even though it was good because it's a cheap $8 part and takes 15 seconds to do.

Valvoline charges what they do because they're super fast and all they do is oil changes and minor maintenance, in and out in 5 minutes vs an hour or two at a full service shop.
Lots of coupons out there, I still get a $25 oil change there 8 out of 10 times.

Attachments

• vioc.jpg
    vioc.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 35
The 1.6 Gamma II is a pretty solidly designed engine as long as you frequently use injector cleaner, don't use 5w20, keep oil changes to 5k or even 3k, and use premium gas instead of regular. 191k on mine and I beat the absolute piss out of it daily.

I couldn't agree more. My father currently drives a 2018 Accent Limited, and came from a 2014 GLS that he special ordered with the 6-speed manual.

It always got 5w30 full syn with a upper-level filter every 5k. Dad didn't care about "extended drains", just get it done.

I loved thrashing that thing around. The transmission... while no Honda Civic, clicked along very nicely through the gears. The Gamma liked to rev, although not very high, but it didn't need to. For a 1.6 it's meaty in the upper-mid range revs. I barely put $1k in that car from new until he sold at 110k miles, and that includes all fluids, brakes, and a clutch job.

Hyundai/KIA USA simply has manufacturing problems in their engines. Tons of metal debris delivered to the new cars and waiting for the engine to explode. No matter what you do with it, it will explode, overheat, burn, or grenade itself. I ams really sorry with Hyundai owners, but the reality is really scary and we just need to suck it up.
Just hope Hyundai fix it by putting new engines in all year range when they have metal contaminations in their factory.

The big reason I never bought a Hyundai to many %$#)@/ engine repairs!

A guy I worked with had a 2013 Hyundai Sonata blow the engine and transmission, right around 100,000 miles (just a few months apart).

The engine was replaced under some sort of extended warranty. The transmission was an expensive repair and was not covered. He maintained the car, too.

He said he thinks it was because it was a turbo 4 cylinder, if I recall correctly.

Oddly, after that experience, he ran out and bought a Kia Telluride and paid like a $10,000 dealer markup, too. I guess he loves the Korean brands. My understanding is that the Telluride is basically the old Kia Sedona minivan platform underneath, and it is styled to look like an SUV.

So this one is interesting. My friend's family has a Hyundai Accent with fairly low miles, under 100K, that the father always took to Jiffy Lube for oil changes every 3K miles on the dot. Son mostly drove it, didn't warm it up ever, etc, or likely check oil. But the father was always on the dot with 3K oil changes at Jiffy Lube. I noticed about 2-3 years back at least the car developed a tick and then a knocking noise at startup, of which both the father and son ignored. I suggested perhaps switching to synthetic and seeing if it went away, and checking the timing chain, but I was ignored. To me the knock sounded like a timing chain slap or similar. I didn't notice any big drops/puddles on the ground at their place so it likely wasn't leaking oil, though.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago the son was driving it around in limp mode at 25mph and the mother finally took it in, and blown engine. So the timing chain didn't snap, as it still drove, but admittedly I don't know the actual failure point that occurred. Thankfully Hyundai is replacing the engine under warranty and did ask Jiffy Lube to fax over the oil change history.

This was one of the first Hyundai GDI engines, and I've heard of failures but this is a bit odd to me. Under 100K miles, oil changed often, etc. My father has the 2.4 in his Kia Sportage and it's had 180K miles and sounds great, but we've been mostly good with synthetic oil changes every 5K or so. No picture, but when the valve cover was pulled his mechanic said it looked brand new inside, timing chain still had a lot of tension and wasn't stretched, too. He also has a habit of warming up his cars in the morning, too, for about 2-3 minutes before driving away.

Maybe a bit controversial, but what do you guys think? I'll try to update if they can get me a specific thing like a rod being thrown in cylinder X, or bent valves, etc. But it's a surprising failure and makes me extremely unconfident in bulk conventional oil now, especially in a modern GDI car.

chains are problematic in the 1.6 GDI.

What was going on with the oil pressure gauge or warning light while she was driving around with no oil in the engine???
I cracked the plastic oil filter cover on my 2019 RX 350 and didn't realize it until I filled the car with oil and turned it on and after about 15 seconds the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all sorts of warnings and beeps that would've been impossible to miss.

I recently bought a KIA with the NA 2.0 but only considered it because they reverted back to multiply port fuel injection. I'm thinking of running 0W-40 at OCIs of 5K.

chains are problematic in the 1.6 GDI.

Where have you seen evidence of this? I've yet to see or hear of any 1.6 GDI that's had timing chain issues.

The big reason I never bought a Hyundai to many %$#)@/ engine repairs!

Again, what evidence do you have? I service everything from Fiat's to Volvo's to Ford's to classic MG's and even Amphicar's. Other than the rod bearing issue, Hyundai/Kia actually tend to be one of the most bulletproof and inexpensive vehicles to maintain in my experience.

I base that assertion both on my professional experience with Korean brands along with maintaining several Korean vehicles within my family and inner circle. I've recommended their vehicles to prospective buyers, several of which purchased. I have yet to hear a complaint, years later.

Where have you seen evidence of this? I've yet to see or hear of any 1.6 GDI that's had timing chain issues.

Again, what evidence do you have? I service everything from Fiat's to Volvo's to Ford's to classic MG's and even Amphicar's. Other than the rod bearing issue, Hyundai/Kia actually tend to be one of the most bulletproof and inexpensive vehicles to maintain in my experience.

I base that assertion both on my professional experience with Korean brands along with maintaining several Korean vehicles within my family and inner circle. I've recommended their vehicles to prospective buyers, several of which purchased. I have yet to hear a complaint, years later.
The thousands of engines Hyundai has replaced under warranty.
Plus you don't sign into agreements if there isn't a problem.

The thousands of engines Hyundai has replaced under warranty.
Plus you don't sign into agreements if there isn't a problem.

As I referred to in my reply: yes, there were rod bearing issues in a large number of the Theta II engines. You stated that the 1.6 GDI, which is a Gamma engine, suffers from timing chain issues, that's the issue I asked you to provide a source for. Other than some intake valve coking and a bad batch of spark plugs in the early 2018 engines, the Gamma has never been subject of major fault.

As I referred to in my reply: yes, there were rod bearing issues in a large number of the Theta II engines. You stated that the 1.6 GDI, which is a Gamma engine, suffers from timing chain issues, that's the issue I asked you to provide a source for. Other than some intake valve coking and a bad batch of spark plugs in the early 2018 engines, the Gamma has never been subject of major fault.
So timing chain issues are not real issues and are cheap to fix? Its a major fault in my mind!

That “article” looks like it was written by an automated bot or by someone that has no idea what they’re talking about.
You think so Google Hyundia engine problems you will get pages worth of site. I really like the looks of their cars but I'm not going into denial that they have engine issues. If they didn't tell me why are they replacing engines if its not their fault or engineering problem?

Back