2012 Hyundai Accent Blown Engine, under 100K miles, on 3K Jiffy Lube conventional changes.

My sons 2014 KIA Rio has the same engine I believe. 1.6L GDI. Going on 130K. Religiously changed the oil every 5K with a quality filter and mostly full synthetic (got a blend once in a while depending on what was on sale.) Right after 100,000 miles, started burning oil. Changed the PCV with another OEM, no difference. I think these engines are tough on oil and 3,750 OCI was more appropriate for the long haul. It doesn't burn a lot, so I just keep an eye on it and keep it topped off. Use 5W-30 High Mileage (any brand) in it now. Car runs great other than that.

So this one is interesting. My friend's family has a Hyundai Accent with fairly low miles, under 100K, that the father always took to Jiffy Lube for oil changes every 3K miles on the dot. Son mostly drove it, didn't warm it up ever, etc, or likely check oil. But the father was always on the dot with 3K oil changes at Jiffy Lube. I noticed about 2-3 years back at least the car developed a tick and then a knocking noise at startup, of which both the father and son ignored. I suggested perhaps switching to synthetic and seeing if it went away, and checking the timing chain, but I was ignored. To me the knock sounded like a timing chain slap or similar. I didn't notice any big drops/puddles on the ground at their place so it likely wasn't leaking oil, though.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago the son was driving it around in limp mode at 25mph and the mother finally took it in, and blown engine. So the timing chain didn't snap, as it still drove, but admittedly I don't know the actual failure point that occurred. Thankfully Hyundai is replacing the engine under warranty and did ask Jiffy Lube to fax over the oil change history.

This was one of the first Hyundai GDI engines, and I've heard of failures but this is a bit odd to me. Under 100K miles, oil changed often, etc. My father has the 2.4 in his Kia Sportage and it's had 180K miles and sounds great, but we've been mostly good with synthetic oil changes every 5K or so. No picture, but when the valve cover was pulled his mechanic said it looked brand new inside, timing chain still had a lot of tension and wasn't stretched, too. He also has a habit of warming up his cars in the morning, too, for about 2-3 minutes before driving away.

Maybe a bit controversial, but what do you guys think? I'll try to update if they can get me a specific thing like a rod being thrown in cylinder X, or bent valves, etc. But it's a surprising failure and makes me extremely unconfident in bulk conventional oil now, especially in a modern GDI car.
Jiffy lube oil is garbage, for about 3 oil changes i had them change oil and filter in 2002 Buick Century, yuck switched to VIOC and what happened was magic, no oil loss between changes car ran better and I was putting on quite alot of miles.

My bought new 2016 Kia Soul. 2.0 GDI engine. Oil change every 5000 miles. (7500 OCI recommended normal service ) When the engine got to about 40k miles and it was time for an oil change I started to notice low oil levels. There were no leaks detected. It concerned me enough that I took it the dealership with excessive oil consumption concerns. After their 1000 mile test of my engine Kia declared the engine sound with no oiling issues detected. Fast forward to about 70k miles on the clock while on my to work I heard some horrid sound emanating from my engine bay drowning out the absurdly loud rock music I was listening to. You can probably guess what happened next. I found myself on the side of the expressway with a gaping hole in the engine block while a pool of motor oil collecting under the car. The reason I tell this story is I don't think the quality of the motor oil is the problem these engines. It had to be shoddy engineering, design or poor manufacturing practices. There are just too many stories of Hyundai / Kia engines suffering catastrophic failures. I guess to Kia's credit they fully warrantied the engine. Two weeks after getting the car back I traded it in for a Honda Accord. Never again....

Jiffy lube oil is garbage, for about 3 oil changes i had them change oil and filter in 2002 Buick Century, yuck switched to VIOC and what happened was magic, no oil loss between changes car ran better and I was putting on quite alot of miles.
So the oil they used did not carry an appropriate API license or they were fraudulent in saying it did? What brand do they use and by what blender or manufacturer?

And the oil made the car run better?

Jiffy Lube franchisees may sell any oil they choose. I knew one who had prominent Pennzoil signage all over his buildings while dispensing Mobil Super. It was very deceptive.
So exactly what garbage oil was in your engine?

Sounds like Hyundai put out a garbage engine design.

Probably not the owner's fault.
The 1.6 Gamma II is a pretty solidly designed engine as long as you frequently use injector cleaner, don't use 5w20, keep oil changes to 5k or even 3k, and use premium gas instead of regular. 191k on mine and I beat the absolute piss out of it daily.

I have noticed that my engine has serious issues with fuel dilution and carbon soot buildup in the crankcase, this seems to be a common theme with this engine. I drive over 95% at highway speeds and no matter what every time I drain the oil it smells like an open jerry can. My normal OCI is 3000-4000 miles.

I presume to think that Jiffy Lube probably used 5w20 because that is the standard Hyundai recommendation. That being said Hyundai allows for the usage of an Xw30 and I have always found that the engine operates better using such oil compared to a Xw20. Better to mitigate the fuel dilution issue as well.
You can go even thicker, all the way up to 15w-50. If you look up the engine clearances and oil operating temperature in the service manual and look up a suitable grade based on that on driven oils website it will tell you to use a 40 or 50. The right hand drive manual for UK and Australia allows up to 20w-50.

My advice to anyone with a Hyundai/Kia GDI is to use the thickest oil possible based on their starting temperatures, you will get a long life out of them if you do, and they won't sound like a clothes dryer filled with marbles.

You can go even thicker, all the way up to 15w-50. If you look up the engine clearances and oil operating temperature in the service manual and look up a suitable grade based on that on driven oils website it will tell you to use a 40 or 50. The right hand drive manual for UK and Australia allows up to 20w-50.

My advice to anyone with a Hyundai/Kia GDI is to use the thickest oil possible based on their starting temperatures, you will get a long life out of them if you do, and they won't sound like a clothes dryer filled with marbles.

I used Mobil 1 0w40 FS one time in this engine and it did not run particularly well. No point in running super thick oil just because. Xw-30 grade oils work just fine, my choice right now is Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 which is a dual rated HDEO.

I used Mobil 1 0w40 FS one time in this engine and it did not run particularly well. No point in running super thick oil just because. Xw-30 grade oils work just fine, my choice right now is Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 which is a dual rated HDEO.
Odd. Was it sluggish or what? I've never seen any real performance or fuel economy differences no matter what oil I used. Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and Chevron Delo 10w30 have extremely similar KV100 and HTHS.

Before I started reading this site I just ran whatever 5w20 Firestone put in and just wondered why my engine was so loud once it got to operating temperature, now I get asked by passengers if it's a hybrid because it runs so quietly.

Sounds like a combo problem to me.I like not to trust Jiffy Lube,some pretty new techs servicing my vehicle with maybe sketchy filters with the wrong weight oil.I always check my oil soon after change,to assure the level is correct on the stick.It could be started to using oil and not adding between changes.More than one driver,who is responsible for that?I'm also a believer in oil analysis, if my driving habits prove oil dilution,I shorten the frequency of the change.And lastly these engines are susceptible to failure.

Sounds like a combo problem to me.I like not to trust Jiffy Lube,some pretty new techs servicing my vehicle with maybe sketchy filters with the wrong weight oil.I always check my oil soon after change,to assure the level is correct on the stick.It could be started to using oil and not adding between changes.More than one driver,who is responsible for that?I'm also a believer in oil analysis, if my driving habits prove oil dilution,I shorten the frequency of the change.And lastly these engines are susceptible to failure.
You take your vehicle to Jiffy Lube?

You take your vehicle to Jiffy Lube?
Years ago I did,it was a cold Wi.winter day.I had them do what I normally do in my driveway.I had a Camry and used mineral oil and was anal about 3,000 mile changes.So,long story,they put in oil,changed filter.They then told and wanted to upcharge me to Syn.They sad they had a new tech and he made a mistake,I get that,but the lead man was busy and didn't catch that is unacceptable. I went home,the filter,plug was overtight,I changed,no confidence in them,and it was the last time.

So much hate for Jiffy Lube, yet they service millions of cars per year with no problem.

Oil is not the problem here, probably a lack of opening the hood once in a while and check the oil.

This is a lost art with today's generation.

I have owned several hyundais, they all use a little bit of oil. I keep a quart of supertech on hand, and just top it up a little bit between changes, and its always at full.

So much hate for Jiffy Lube, yet they service millions of cars per year with no problem.

Oil is not the problem here, probably a lack of opening the hood once in a while and check the oil.

This is a lost art with today's generation.

I have owned several hyundais, they all use a little bit of oil. I keep a quart of supertech on hand, and just top it up a little bit between changes, and its always at full.
I didn't say I hated Jiffy Lube,I just answered the previous question.I totally agree,people should open the hood and check all the fluids and add as needed.You should also get in a habit of looking under the car for puddles.When you park,walk around,look for low tires,feel them for heat.Smell for anti freeze,you just can't blame the car.

Years ago I did,it was a cold Wi.winter day.I had them do what I normally do in my driveway.I had a Camry and used mineral oil and was anal about 3,000 mile changes.So,long story,they put in oil,changed filter.They then told and wanted to upcharge me to Syn.They sad they had a new tech and he made a mistake,I get that,but the lead man was busy and didn't catch that is unacceptable. I went home,the filter,plug was overtight,I changed,no confidence in them,and it was the last time.
I've accidentally put synthetic in a vehicle that said conventional on the sheet, didn't say anything to anyone and the customer got synthetic at the conventional price. Price difference is so small it doesn't matter, shops that charge $100 for a synthetic oil change are making serious money on that.

I've accidentally put synthetic in a vehicle that said conventional on the sheet, didn't say anything to anyone and the customer got synthetic at the conventional price. Price difference is so small it doesn't matter, shops that charge $100 for a synthetic oil change are making serious money on that.

The Valvoline Instant Oil Change shop I took my work vehicle to yesterday (21 Bronco Sport) billed the company $105 for an oil change with Synthetic Maxlife 5w20. I don't care because I'm not putting the bill but that being said they did inform me that, according to them, I was receiving the fleet vehicle discount 🤣

Back