Extreme not maintained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SonofJoe
We don't get the Kia Forte here in the UK. The closest equivalent is the Kia Ceed. I had a quick look on AutoTrader at how much a 2011 Ceed with 172,000 miles on the clock would be worth. The answer appears to be about £1,200 ($US 1,560). Given that the absolute cheapest Kia Ceed you can buy new is £14,600, I don't think I was that far off the mark with my 'next to worthless' comment.

Nor do I think my 'old tech' comment was without merit. The only examples of 2011 high mileage Ceeds I could find were diesels. Back in 2011 these were hugely popular. Today in 2018, most folks wouldn't a touch a diesel with a ten foot barge pole!

Oh and regarding the comparison with seven year cell phones & computers, I still have my first T-Mobile smart phone from 2008 & whilst I haven't checked, it probably still works! I bet I could still make calls on it (if I put a SIM in it) & I'm sure the calculator & calendar work just as they did ten years ago. I also still have a 2007 HP laptop which runs MS Office, sends emails & plays Far Cry quite happily. Yet both the phone & laptop, despite their apparent functionality, both lurk in cupboards gathering dust. There's a lesson there...

I don't entirely disagree with you, but you're retconning your old tech comment. You originally mentioned out of date technology, but now the argument is underpinned by a powertrain that was legislated into disfavor. Not the same thing.

I definitely choose to buy depreciated, older-tech cars due to their relative simplicity and their cheapness. I also specifically buy the best-maintained example of the best-made vehicle I can find. It has worked out very, very well for me for over ten years.

It's not everyday you learn a new word! I thought it was a typo when I first saw it but apparently 'to retcon' is a valid English verb.

Having said that, I'm not sure my posts should be being judged for their literary consistency. This is BITOG after all, not an entry for The Booker Prize.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Here's the way I see it. We own a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L with 228k miles. We also have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L with 237k miles. They both get us from A to B just the same as a new vehicle. I don't care for bluetooth, USB ports, touch screens, or any other fancy crap. I just see all of that mess as a distraction from driving. My radio stays off 90% of the time. Combined, they aren't worth $5,000. I don't care though because we have no car payments, insurance on them is dirt cheap, and we plan to drive/maintain them as long as possible. Both can seat the family comfortably, the Nissan gets 32-33 mpg highway, the Tahoe gets right around 20 mpg highway, and both run smooth and quiet. Mission accomplished.

If one of them does break down, we'll just drive the other one in the mean time, and take a small fraction of the $50,000 we saved by not making 2 car payments for the last 6 years to fix it.

You saved more than $50k … that's just a moderately equipped Tahoe these days …

It's not everyday you learn a new word! I thought it was a typo when I first saw it but apparently 'to retcon' is a valid English verb.

Having said that, I'm not sure my posts should be being judged for their literary consistency. This is BITOG after all, not an entry for The Booker Prize.

Retcon is short for retroactive continuity. It's one of my favorite words toward my wife when she starts bringing up stuff from the past.

Originally Posted by 4WD

You saved more than $50k … that's just a moderately equipped Tahoe these days …

That's not including the money saved on insurance and taxes.

This just popped up on one of the motoring websites I look at...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...s-doubles-since-introduction-of-new-test

It's not directly relevant to this thread but it does highlight how older cars (notionally both petrol & diesel but mainly diesel) are seeing their useful lives curtailed by a new (and IMO wholly justified) assessment of their impact on the environment.

I'm sure it would be different in Europe, where most aspects of vehicle ownership are more expensive, but in the US, the accelerating push towards current technology in vehicles, the general attitude toward vehicle ownership (commoditization and lack of maintenance practices), planned obsolescence practiced by automakers, and relative ease of credit versus lack of personal liquidity all combine to remove nearly all vehicles from the road well before they are used up. If we want to go down a rabbit hole, it's too bad someone can't easily compare the environmental impact of new vehicle production plus end-of-life disposal versus the impact of using a, say, 20 year old OBD2 vehicle of average size, fuel economy and emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back