2017 GMC Terrain with blown engine 51,000 miles

Of course it's tough to know the full story on the vehicle, but the OP stated she got dealer documented oil changes done every 3000 miles or less.

Could it be possible it burned THAT much oil that it still smoked the engine with that oil change regimen?
My 2017 terrain motor just blew. Oil change in September 2023 by November oil light was be back on. Checked it in January and it was a low. I added a quart and it was back to normal range. A couple of weeks later I had the oil changed. Then I downloaded the mygmc app and after 3 weeks it said the oil life was at 49%. A week lol later it blew. Sounded like all the internal parts of the engine fell apart when I tried to turn it over.
Nothing but clanking.

These are junk vehicles in general. In nothern PA, OH, and NY these can just hardly last 7 years before the chassis rot out completely. I was considering buying one until I found out the oil passage for the timing chain tensioner was too small, and the fix from GM was a software flash to reprogram the oil life monitor to alert customers to change the oil sooner. How about drill the passage bigger and solve the problem instead?

Reactions: D60
These are junk vehicles in general. In nothern PA, OH, and NY these can just hardly last 7 years before the chassis rot out completely. I was considering buying one until I found out the oil passage for the timing chain tensioner was too small, and the fix from GM was a software flash to reprogram the oil life monitor to alert customers to change the oil sooner. How about drill the passage bigger and solve the problem instead?
I see a lot of older Terrain/Equinox running around the Buffalo NY area still, but that's probably just luck of the draw given the number of them that were pumped out over the years. Given the numbers and the fact they can be had cheap by today's standards, they tend not to get maintained well. Your average BITOGer would make one last longer than the standard consumer.

Hopefully the latest gen 1.5T is better than that 2.4.

Back