Milkshake Oil - Extreme short trips

That could certainly be from short tripping, but I would pressure test the cooling system to rule out a head gasket. It's easy enough to do.
Lots of good discussion, thanks gang! When I pulled the radiator cap, the engine was warm but not hot. It was holding some pressure I had to bleed off before removing the cap, so that's a positive sign. I don't have the pressure testing equipment but I'll look into that. I kind of doubt anyone put anything in the oil by mistake since I had a hard time just getting the oil filler cap off; it was extremely tight, like it hadn't been off in over a year!

As for why not walk, she's like me, getting older so she drives but she's had problems flattening her battery due to the extremely short drives. My son has recently replaced her battery and had to charge it a couple of times this winter. We checked the charging voltage and it's fine so it's simply the: start, drive 1/4 mile, shutoff: start, drive 1/4 mile, shut off: all the while running the lights and defroster!

I'll have to take a look at the PCV valve and make sure that isn't plugged up...

Ooooofffff. Oil was probably unstable, Suggest: https://www.lucasoil.com/product/heavy-duty-oil-stabilizer/ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

- My guess would be something added to engine oil like windshield washer fluid
- Seriously were talking about a 25 year old Engine, chances of a mechanical problem have to be high
- Maybe double check PCV system? I did some rescue work on a family members clapped-out 20 year old Saturn once, doing real weird stuff... PCV system was probably 95% clogged, several other issues, so unknown if it was a causal or symptom
- Change O&F again and get a test done, at least just for research and learning
- Someone daily driving a 20yr+ Corolla is probably not in the best financial position, but at least their work is only 1/4 away, Suggest start working on alternate transportation plans

(Good Luck and good on you for trying to help someone out)

As for why not walk, she's like me, getting older...

All the MORE reason to be walking. Seriously, it's 500 yards, even at a slow pace that's a 7-8 minute walk (or a 2-3 minute bicycle ride) but will have untold benefits on physical and mental health and fitness, not to mention the saving on fuel and maintenance (and medical bills!). Do it regularly and it will get quicker and easier.

I can easily see that such a brutal short trip like that could cause the issues mentioned - both water and fuel dilution. The oil will never be getting warm enough for the additives to work correctly either. The saving grace is that it's only going 500 yards so there's barely any time for serious wear to take place. The tires and brakes must last a long time though!

The used oil out of any of my three vehicles would be perfect for that poor car. Then dump every three months. For free.

Perhaps permanently install a trickle charger in the car and run an extension cable into the drivers seat?

400 yards. Mobility scooter or golf cart?

change oil to fresh 5w-30 and filter,monitor very close,and possibly send in a uoa after driven four about 1-2k to see whats going on

Every time in 50 years of car abuse (Ok since 16yo) milkshake = water/condensate.

Even in aircooled VW's!! (OK wasn't milkshake but was choco froth on the cap)
Yep. Normally short trip condensation appears under the oil fill cap. Nothing like what the OP has shown.

Lots of good discussion, thanks gang! When I pulled the radiator cap, the engine was warm but not hot. It was holding some pressure I had to bleed off before removing the cap, so that's a positive sign. I don't have the pressure testing equipment but I'll look into that. I kind of doubt anyone put anything in the oil by mistake since I had a hard time just getting the oil filler cap off; it was extremely tight, like it hadn't been off in over a year!

As for why not walk, she's like me, getting older so she drives but she's had problems flattening her battery due to the extremely short drives. My son has recently replaced her battery and had to charge it a couple of times this winter. We checked the charging voltage and it's fine so it's simply the: start, drive 1/4 mile, shutoff: start, drive 1/4 mile, shut off: all the while running the lights and defroster!

I'll have to take a look at the PCV valve and make sure that isn't plugged up...
Definitely change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage with the short tripping. Taking the vehicle out for 30 min once a week would be highly beneficial. Keep us updated if you find it is a head gasket. If it’s not consuming coolant I doubt you have a leak.

I would get that oil analyzed just to see if there's something major going on with the head gaskets, as many have already said. But if you plan on doing another oil analysis done, I would be inclined to do two very short back to back changes to get as much of the milkshake out of the engine, before getting tested again. There's about 0.5-1qt left in the engine during a change. I wouldn't want that residual milkshake to skew the results of a second test.

I would switch to a synhetic oil and shorten the oil change interval to 1/2 of what she does now. Or make some longer trips on the vehicle so it warms up to evaporate the condensation. If it still is milky then you make have an antifreeze leak!

Like other have said, way too much moisture whipped into that oil for it to be just condensation.
With the price of cars, if it’s in decent shape, get HG replaced and motor on. It’s a Corolla, so it likely hasn’t done terminal damage, yet.

Like other have said, way too much moisture whipped into that oil for it to be just condensation.
With the price of cars, if it’s in decent shape, get HG replaced and motor on. It’s a Corolla, so it likely hasn’t done terminal damage, yet.
I disagree. It doesn't take much water to make an oil look milky. The short trip describe in the OP is extreme, the very worst operating conditions for the engine and perfect for accumulation of combustion water and condensation.

The combustion vapor kits seem questionable at best. The problem seems to be that a positive probably means something, but a negative doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

So go ahead and test but if you get a negative it doesn't mean you don't have a HG problem.

Plus given the symptoms in this case of a high oil level there's seemingly little reason to think there's a direct path to the combustion chamber (er palace?) -- nothing seems to be burning off.

Update: We did another oil and filter change after 40 miles on the first change and this is what came out. Looks a lot better now I think. I'm debating if it's worth it to do an oil analysis on this oil... The antifreeze is still right to the top so I remain convinced this was just short trip moisture building up in the oil.

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

Back