Jiffy Lube experience

I've said it before but I was shocked the first time in my local Grease Monkey watching them do the same thing.

I had never used a quick lube of any kind but stopped in because my county said they take waste oil and waste coolant.

They were trying to upsell EVERYTHING to this soccer mom with the complete deer-in-headlights stare coupled with a a kill-me-now look as her screaming kids, well, screamed. They're trying to show her samples of what were allegedly her transmission and t-case fluids and show how they were dirty.

I found the whole thing unethical because she had no idea what she was looking at AND the samples I saw were good for many, many, many more miles.

Note to self: Grease Monkey only good for accepting old fluids. And I hate to bash them because this is a community service
Me being me I'd step in and let her know what's up with that sort of thing. Of course businesses need to make money, but not in an upselling way regardless of what the situation is and I'll call them out on it.

I think this may be determined by the type of oil they feature. A bar buddy and his brother opened a Zippy Lube in town that featured Pennzoil, it was around $22 for up to five quarts, oil filter and top off all fluids. The Pennzoil was bulk and the oil filter was a Pennzoil. At that time they did carry other brands of quarts but the oil filters they used were all Pennzoil. Fast forward a few years and they switched to Valvoline which was a lot different, you could only get Valvoline bulk, no quarts and the oil filters were all Valvoline.
No, it's whatever they want to buy.
When I was a Pennzoil rep for a franchisee who owned seven stores, he used Jiffy Lube branded filters, he used Pennzoil branded filters he bought from me, and he used a couple different brands of jobber brand filters. When he found what he perceived to be a better deal, he switched.
This applies to Jiffy Lube only. I can't tell you what any other fast oil change brand or store does.

I left a bad review on line and the owner of Jiffy Lube responded with this

Response from the owner 4 hours ago
Bruce, We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory! Our top priority is to provide the highest quality of service for our customers and their vehicle. We will use this feedback to better our service in the future!

Sounds like a politicians normal response.

I left a bad review on line and the owner of Jiffy Lube responded with this

Response from the owner 4 hours ago
Bruce, We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory! Our top priority is to provide the highest quality of service for our customers and their vehicle. We will use this feedback to better our service in the future!

Sounds like a politicians normal response.
Eh well at least he didn't blame it on Putin.....

If it was a regular customer who had a bad experience, the JL franchisee I worked with would give them a coupon to comp their next service.

Does anyone know what oil filter Jiffy Lube uses?
I would assume the cheapest they can source that meets the minimum specs.
No clue on JL, but the Splish ‘n Splash where our Pilot was last serviced before we bought it used a Mighty TecSelect filter.
1655952108902.jpeg

I had a good experience there today. '16 Escape turbo 70k miles. Now settle down bitogers, before you go trashing them, it's cold and I didn't want to roll around in the wind. Pennzoil 5/30 semi syn cost was $100.25 , way more than if I changed it myself and they probably used a a everyday filter. That filter is Ok til next time I'm sure and I'll use the proper Motorcraft filter.
For what they are they did a good job and saved me the hassle.
They don't drain the oil, they suck out with vacuum pump. Not sure how I feel about that, they leave 1/2 qt in the pan. Guess it will be fine until next time.

BTW They don't touch the drain plug anymore. So hopefully no worries about that issue.

I would use again in pinch.

It depends on the local mgmt. I had a company car with a gas and service card. Used my local Jiffy Lube. They always did a good job. They would mention air filter and wiper blades as an upsell...no thanks. It was a Dodge V6 and oil cap said 5-20. I always had them use 5-30 and they did without much grief. If I forgot to tell them and got 5-20, the engine sounded like a sewing machine that needed lube. At about 30k one of the valve rocker assemblies went bad. Car was at the dealer for a long time because Chrysler didn't want to cover it under warranty and was fighting with the lease Co. It was a secure feeling having a record of 3-4k OC's on record.

I had a good experience there today. '16 Escape turbo 70k miles. Now settle down bitogers, before you go trashing them, it's cold and I didn't want to roll around in the wind. Pennzoil 5/30 semi syn cost was $100.25 , way more than if I changed it myself and they probably used a a everyday filter. That filter is Ok til next time I'm sure and I'll use the proper Motorcraft filter.
For what they are they did a good job and saved me the hassle.
They don't drain the oil, they suck out with vacuum pump. Not sure how I feel about that, they leave 1/2 qt in the pan. Guess it will be fine until next time.

BTW They don't touch the drain plug anymore. So hopefully no worries about that issue.

I would use again in pinch.
OH MY GAW! You are so lame! JUST KIDDING, glad it went well. If I didn't have a heated shop I'd do the same!

Don't see how one can change air filter off miles. I usually do mine every 500hrs. Check at 250 though, some stuff it's near plugged by that point.

Don't see how one can change air filter off miles. I usually do mine every 500hrs. Check at 250 though, some stuff it's near plugged by that point.
Probably because on many vehicles including nearly all cars, there is no other measurement to go by besides miles.

Probably because on many vehicles including nearly all cars, there is no other measurement to go by besides miles.
Filter life, in my limited experience, is mostly dependent on environment. Some can need changed yearly while others can go multiple years before it needs changed.

With the cabin filter in my G35 or my wife's last car, with the work required to remove them, it was getting changed when it came out, so I had to base it on "time". There were certainly a time or two where I got one or the other out and thought "this really doesn't need replaced". On the Civic, it is super easy to remove/check, so it is changed based on condition.

Plus hours is more relevant for service vehicles. The average driver and commuter could approximate hours based on miles with relative accuracy ...unless you're employing a non-linear formula I guess. As I understand it my Kubota meter allegedly spins a bit slower at low RPM and a bit faster at high RPM

Filter life, in my limited experience, is mostly dependent on environment. Some can need changed yearly while others can go multiple years before it needs changed.

With the cabin filter in my G35 or my wife's last car, with the work required to remove them, it was getting changed when it came out, so I had to base it on "time". There were certainly a time or two where I got one or the other out and thought "this really doesn't need replaced". On the Civic, it is super easy to remove/check, so it is changed based on condition.
I just did a Tundra and that was easy as opening the glove box and sliding out a tray.......which actually is how easy heater cores SHOULD be -- and used to be way back ;)

Argghh I've gotta go yell at some clouds now....

I have a coupon from my Nissan dealer . Synthetic oil change and Nissan filter for $29.99 . I can't do it myself for that price . I know it will be a lot of attempts to upsell me but I have no problem telling them NO .

I just did a Tundra and that was easy as opening the glove box and sliding out a tray.......which actually is how easy heater cores SHOULD be -- and used to be way back ;)

Argghh I've gotta go yell at some clouds now....
As you probably already know, Hondas are almost this way. Takes more time to get everything OUT of the glove box (unless you just let it dump on the floorboard 🤣).

• Love
Reactions: D60
I read a few years ago that the business model for JiffyLube was about $75 per customer. So upsell the customer a few things.

In NY they are not a licensed auto repair shop. Just a licensed auto inspection shop. So they could not do many things like a brake job. May differ in other states.

It's probably over $100 now.

Well auto mechanics need to start somewhere, minds well be changing oil.

And they guy changing oil at a dealership is. fresher also. Not a mechanic with 20 years of experience.

And while I might not go to JiffyLube as long as I can drag myself under my vehicles, a car is much better off with a JiffyLube oil change than no oil change.

Just make sure they screw the 710 cap on tight!!

Back