Jiffy Lube experience

I took the wife's '18 Elantra GT in for an oil change.
A semi-syn change was $63 with a $29 coupon off.
So the regular price is like $90? that's nuts,the dealer gets $70 and uses a Hyundai filter.
I told the greeter to not bother checking the air filter because the car only has 17K miles on it.
He informed me that the recommendation was to change the air filter at 5K or 6K miles!
I told him that air filters were good for 30K or so and he said no that's the new recommendation.
I ended with just leave it alone.
I'm done with Jiffy Lube.

Jiffy lube same as valvoline quick lube center and all the rest they are designed with the upsell In mind. Coupons get the consumer in the door. If you're not into your own oil changes go to your local dealer ask to buy an oil change booklet at least the dealer techs are held responsible for any wrong doings. And you may get discounted oil changes buying the booklet.

To be fair, did he say it was Hyundai's recommendation, or theirs? I'm sure they would highly recommend changing it every 5K so they can make more money so your engine has optimal protection.
He did not mention Hyundai when he said that.

I've said it before but I was shocked the first time in my local Grease Monkey watching them do the same thing.

I had never used a quick lube of any kind but stopped in because my county said they take waste oil and waste coolant.

They were trying to upsell EVERYTHING to this soccer mom with the complete deer-in-headlights stare coupled with a a kill-me-now look as her screaming kids, well, screamed. They're trying to show her samples of what were allegedly her transmission and t-case fluids and show how they were dirty.

I found the whole thing unethical because she had no idea what she was looking at AND the samples I saw were good for many, many, many more miles.

Note to self: Grease Monkey only good for accepting old fluids. And I hate to bash them because this is a community service

I've read that as an air filter traps and accumulates particles, it gradually filters slightly better yet flows worse. If true, there's no reason to replace the filter early. Change it on condition, not on calendar. You can also remove it, knock out the debris it's accumulated and reinstall it.

Oh yeah, and friends don't let friends go to Jiffy Lube!

I can understand a cabin air filter replacement at 5-10K miles depending on the operating conditions, but the same interval for an engine air filter seems excessive.
First oil change at the dealer years ago in a different Elantra they wanted to change the cabin air filter for $90 and the wife called me and I said no way.
I bought a cabin air filter for about $15 and it took all of 10 minutes to change maybe less.
Wife drives about 4500 miles a year.
I change it every June now,a year works out pretty good.

the cabin air filter for $90 and the wife called me and I said no way.
I bought a cabin air filter for about $15 and it took all of 10 minutes to change maybe less.
They have a fixed rate for ALL cars so that covers all costs of different filters as well as different amounts of labor necessary. My Infiniti and my wife's Fusion aren't getting changed in 10 minutes unless the person is actually racing to do it. Those of course offset the Honda-style cabin air filters that can truly be done in 5 minutes.

They have a fixed rate for ALL cars so that covers all costs of different filters as well as different amounts of labor necessary. My Infiniti and my wife's Fusion aren't getting changed in 10 minutes unless the person is actually racing to do it. Those of course offset the Honda-style cabin air filters that can truly be done in 5 minutes.
This was at the Hyundai dealer.
I think all Hyundai vehicles have the filter behind the glove box,10 minutes max to change it.
I don't mind the dealer making money but not on that service for me,let the soccer moms pay it so they don't break a nail trying to do it themselves.LOL.

I don't mind the dealer making money but not on that service for me,let the soccer moms pay it so they don't break a nail trying to do it themselves.LOL.
Exactly. My thinking is generally that if I (or someone else) can't do it, pay someone to do it and what they charge is what you'll pay. "We" have no say in their rate besides not using their service.

This type of shop like JL, Firestone, Valvoline, etc. will always upsell.
The air and cabin filter are easy target because as mentioned in all post, took no more than 10 minutes to change and they can charge 1 hour of labor each plus the upcharge of the filters. I don't think they combine the hours either.
Easy money for unassuming, un-educated about cars, customers.
Will not work for Bitog-er, though.

Moral of the story is if you are not DIY and go to this type of shop, just learn to say "NO" without arguing with them.

Not sure why the surprise.

Years ago after surgery in the nether region I had to take my car...........the place said the sump was empty..........sure.....it lost all the oil in less than a full mile from our abode at the time. Sure.

I service 3 TSXs.
Our 2006 that we bought in Dec 2006 as a left over. Didn't get taken too badly as the 2007's were on the lot. M1 5w30 at 5K OCI. 205K and I never check the oil. Engine is clean as a whistle. We love this car.

Sister's 2007, 130K, bought new and serviced at dealer and quickie lubes using Semi-Syn based on maintenance minder. Goes through almost 1 quart per service now. At 80K I gave it to a friend who flat out loves it.

Friend's 2007, dealer serviced, 150K. Goes through about .5 qt between services.

For friends and family that aren't wrenches, I enjoy taking care of regular services. It saves them money for sure and the products I use are top notch.

Heck, anyone can use a MityVac. Even me. By the way, M1 ain't cheap, but I believe the detergent pack or whatever is really good, even though I only have annecdotal evidence. Just my 2 cents...

PXL_20211121_165841106.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why the surprise.

Years ago after surgery in the nether region I had to take my car...........the place said the sump was empty..........sure.....it lost all the oil in less than a full mile from our abode at the time. Sure.
I hope you had fun with them. I would have immediately responded - yeah but it is 90w145 so I get maximum protection from only 1 quart.

Back