Jiffy Lube leaves the tranny a gallon low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube check my tire pressure, never mind touch any of the fluids in my vehicle.

I terminated our service contract with a company long ago for airing down the tires in our trucks to 35 psi. No big deal, though. Only 45-55 psi short of where they should have been.

I don't trust some flunky to do the job correctly. If I were to have a quick lube do something, I would surely check the levels when I got out of there.A flush on an old car like that is asking for trouble. I would insist on a pan drop/ filter replace only. I wouldn't doubt that tranny problems would have later resulted from that flush job.

A master Honda tech said it's better to err on the side of slight underfill than overfill - but automatic transmissions are sensitive to fluid fill, since fluid expands when it's hot. The cold fluid check is there to make sure there is enough fluid to safely drive the car - the hot check matters the most - I follow the 10-15 mile drive to get the ATF up to operating temp/run through the gears/check fluid in HOT range and top off as needed rule.

This is probably why all new ATs are "sealed", there is seldom a need to add fluid unless the tranny is leaking.

Originally Posted By: nthach

This is probably why all new ATs are "sealed", there is seldom a need to add fluid unless the tranny is leaking.

Well I may be more cynical, but I think the reason for it is that to generate more revenue for a service department. Same reason that my Toyota says its a lifetime fill when every UOA shows the ATF is shot around 30 to 40k.

The only thing I let jiffy lube do is inspect my vehicle. The only reason I let them do it, is they don't sell brakes and ball joints.

My experience is though, that they tell me I need new wipers for my vehicle to pass. Funny, because I replaced them on the way there.

I usually talk to the inspector real quick and ask for no [censored], just a sticker. And that annoying tech guy doesnt come over and try to sell me snake oil and a colon flush.

I do feel horrible for some of the house wifes, and husbands, that I see getting analy penetrated in their "secret discussion area" where they give you the bad news.
I saw some lady walk out crying because her car was going to die if she didn't flush every fluid in it.

I HATE THAT PLACE.

But it does serve a purpose, for some.

jiffy lube isnt qualified to change oil in my lawn mower much less a car.
so these stories do not surprise me.
i have seen the carnage too many times.
1 was a neighbor with complete brake failure.idiot at jiffylube added oil to the master cylinder.said "its all just oil"
wrong answer idiot!
$2000 later a whole new system was installed.lines,abs pump,ect.
everything that the oil touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back