Quick Lube Strikes Again!

Oil changes are such an important maintenance items to do for your car.Its unfortunate, but seems these things happen way too often at Quick Lube places.Happy he found you and got the problem solved at a very reasonable price.

I don't understand why the oil pressure would be low for this condition described.
The filter is mangled; sure. But how does that stop oil from flowing? Are there some mechanical interference issues inside? Because I can't understand how some wavy pleats stop oil from flowing in a PD fed system.
I was wondering the same thing.

So after spending too much time on YT it looks like it can mash/damage/fold/spindle/mutilate the bypass valve integrated into the cap on the later design.

If I'm understanding correctly-- and that is dubious given my adolescent paint chip consumption-- the engine is not actually without pressure but the sending unit is looking at the infamous filter housing.

Here's something from Amsoil:

And related from my favorite we-dress-like-an-F1-pit-crew-so-we-must-be-awesome. Guys. Check it out guys. Ok guys. Ok Ok. Guys:

How do you get a replacement orange cap? It appears that you can buy a black cap from a 2015 model Wrangler but how do you go about getting the original Dorman orange cap that was broken initially?
I could not find the orange cap available seperately, atleast thru my regular parts provider.

I don't understand why the oil pressure would be low for this condition described.
The filter is mangled; sure. But how does that stop oil from flowing? Are there some mechanical interference issues inside? Because I can't understand how some wavy pleats stop oil from flowing in a PD fed system.
Judging by this cutaway, the wrong filter probably blocks either the oil supply or return ports.

IMG_3130.jpeg

I could not find the orange cap available seperately, atleast thru my regular parts provider.
Talk to your boys at Dorman ;)

Also the Amsoil guy seems to reco the Dorman replacement cap near the end of the vid. Me, I'm not sure I trust Dorman to build a bypass valve. It has a moving part so that's probably asking a lot from them ;)

Will never understand why anyone at anytime would ever buy a product from this company. Your choice as to which company I mean.

Talk to your boys at Dorman ;)

Also the Amsoil guy seems to reco the Dorman replacement cap near the end of the vid. Me, I'm not sure I trust Dorman to build a bypass valve. It has a moving part so that's probably asking a lot from them ;)
I did send an email this afternoon.

Reactions: D60
Will never understand why anyone at anytime would ever buy a product from this company. Your choice as to which company I mean.
I would actually chance the Dorman Al housing, as much as I badmouth them. I don't think it can be any worse than the OEM plastic -- although it may not be better.

I would say an even better bet than avoiding Dorman is avoiding Quick Lube places.

Will never understand why anyone at anytime would ever buy a product from this company. Your choice as to which company I m
Agree with your statement but in this case their part was "an improved design" over stock but then their execution of the product to market caused a whole situation of confusion when it comes to servicing the filter portion on pre'13 model years....so guess to your point I can see why we may be better off not using it :D

These quick lube places must be eating engines left and right. I was working on a newer 330i with the B48 motor, the filter has to be installed into the housing first, not the cap…….then screw the cap on. I can see a lot of crushed/broken filters happening with this.

I'm surprised VIOC is balking at such a small claim payout. They're lucky they're not on the hook for an engine. Although they try to minimize them, claims are a cost of lube centers doing business. The amount of bad will they'll get isn't worth the less than $100 repair tab.
Maybe there's bulletproof language in the fine print on the work order the customer signs. Something that addresses non-OEM components.

I'm surprised VIOC is balking at such a small claim payout. They're lucky they're not on the hook for an engine. Although they try to minimize them, claims are a cost of lube centers doing business. The amount of bad will they'll get isn't worth the less than $100 repair tab.
Maybe there's bulletproof language in the fine print on the work order the customer signs. Something that addresses non-OEM components.
Seriously. I’d be pushing this through their corporate and possibly small claims just for the fact that they put my engine at risk.

These quick lube places must be eating engines left and right. I was working on a newer 330i with the B48 motor, the filter has to be installed into the housing first, not the cap…….then screw the cap on. I can see a lot of crushed/broken filters happening with this.
I just found this on a 10R80 filter -- you really need to install the filter seal first, then put the filter into that.

I tried it the wrong way and was not pleased with how it seated, but with a combination of muscle and impatience you could convince yourself it's "ok".

I doubt shops are putting their top people on spill 'n fills so I have to wonder how many lube techs are doing it incorrectly everyday. And many more to come as many of these transmissions are just beginning to hit mileages where people consider servicing them.

I, too, did it wrong but had the luxury of time to research and correct my mistake. If you're in a busy shop with a parking lot full of cars and a boss asking why you're so slow it's a different story.

When we used VIOC the only thing they were good at was yelling about people standing inside their stupid “yellow lines” making sure they didn’t screw up anything! Although, when they yanked the oil filter nipple out of my company 4.6 E-250 (caused by their knucklehead techs overtightening the filter) they had no problem with me helping fix it with my Loctite & pipe wrench! Those boneheads would NEVER touch ANYTHING of mine!!

Back