Jiffy Lube experience

I have a coupon from my Nissan dealer . Synthetic oil change and Nissan filter for $29.99 . I can't do it myself for that price . I know it will be a lot of attempts to upsell me but I have no problem telling them NO .
My PSD pickup is 14 QTs of oil at $25/gallon and $10 to $20 for a filter. No $29.99 special for me.

I read a few years ago that the business model for JiffyLube was about $75 per customer. So upsell the customer a few things.

In NY they are not a licensed auto repair shop. Just a licensed auto inspection shop. So they could not do many things like a brake job. May differ in other states.

It's probably over $100 now.

Well auto mechanics need to start somewhere, minds well be changing oil.

And they guy changing oil at a dealership is. fresher also. Not a mechanic with 20 years of experience.

And while I might not go to JiffyLube as long as I can drag myself under my vehicles, a car is much better off with a JiffyLube oil change than no oil change.

Just make sure they screw the 710 cap on tight!!
The new Jiffy Lube near me in upstate NY calls itself "multicare" which offers brakes, tires, alignment and batteries.

In NY they are not a licensed auto repair shop.
How does NY define a "repair" shop ? I wouldn't call an oil change a repair anymore than adding washer fluid or adding air to tires. So if NY calls an oil change a repair, those (2) other examples would be as well.

How does NY define a "repair" shop ? I wouldn't call an oil change a repair anymore than adding washer fluid or adding air to tires. So if NY calls an oil change a repair, those (2) other examples would be as well.
NY regulates repair shops and inspection shops (and more). I know for the inspection shops they don't get the stickers unless they are a licensed/registered. They also need to connect up their computer to DMV to read the OBDII. I might guess you can replace any non safety part without being a licensed repair shop but when you get into safety items like brakes then you need to have the state license. It's a big sign nailed to the front of the building.

What kind of NY State official signs are posted? NY Repair or NY Inspection.

Not sure I would want JiffyLube to do brakes or alignment.
That's a good question. I'll look the next time I go past. For many years I was in several Jiffy Lubes a week. It's been since 2016 since I have been in one.

Very often the managers and assistants were ASE certified.

That's a good question. I'll look the next time I go past. For many years I was in several Jiffy Lubes a week. It's been since 2016 since I have been in one.

Very often the managers and assistants were ASE certified.
The name JiffyLube implies in and out quickly. Its relatively easy to stock a bunch of air and oil filters, bulbs and wiper blades and of course fluids. But stocking brake pads, rotors, calipers, shocks gets a lot more difficult. Not sure you want to go to JiffyLube for a brake job and have to wait while the NAPA delivery guy delivers the needed parts. It's no longer "Jiffy". I like to be involved in the selection of some parts. Don't want to end up with any that RockAuto would list in the "budget" section. That's why I often supply my own parts.

$63.00??? Come again???? What happened to $16.99 oil changes? Can't remember the last time I paid someone to change oil.

$63.00??? Come again???? What happened to $16.99 oil changes? Can't remember the last time I paid someone to change oil.
That's actually maybe just middle of the road to low end these days. Last I called my local Grease Monkey was around $80 for their "best" option with full synthetic-- for a Rogue, ie not a huge crankcase

I still wonder about API SP and marketing terms like "full synthetic" these days? I think there's a lot the general motoring public doesn't know about advancements in oil in the past ~25 years.

Walmart still does their Pit Crew oil changes (usually SuperTech) for $24.88, per their website. Synthetic is about +$20. 5 qts.
I was gonna say WM is still the cheapest, but like everything else you'll likely eventually "pay" for that low price.

They cross threaded a drain plug in an aluminum pan for one client.

Then last week left a filler cap off, resulting in the underside of the hood covered in oil. Miraculously the filler cap was still found on the engine after driving across town.

My last client who went there left because the line was so long.

Had a co-worker who worked there a brief time and they yelled at him for returning the torque wrenches (not split beam) to zero each night.

I was gonna say WM is still the cheapest, but like everything else you'll likely eventually "pay" for that low price.

They cross threaded a drain plug in an aluminum pan for one client.

Then last week left a filler cap off, resulting in the underside of the hood covered in oil. Miraculously the filler cap was still found on the engine after driving across town.

My last client who went there left because the line was so long.

Had a co-worker who worked there a brief time and they yelled at him for returning the torque wrenches (not split beam) to zero each night.
How about after each use or each car.

My friend has a fleet of Savana vans, which religiously go to the J team every 3500 miles. Last year one if them had the oil light flickering and the valve train clacking. I dropped the pan and there was an inch of sludge on the bottom, and the pick-up screen was plugged up. It has 189,000 miles. I don’t need oil change receipts to tell if an engine has been maintained.
With a 6 inch high stack of oil receipts from the J team, there’s no way that engine should have been sludged. One could speculate why, but the bottom line is it shouldn‘t have happened.
He’s now using the dealer and supplying his own oil.

My friend has a fleet of Savana vans, which religiously go to the J team every 3500 miles. Last year one if them had the oil light flickering and the valve train clacking. I dropped the pan and there was an inch of sludge on the bottom, and the pick-up screen was plugged up. It has 189,000 miles. I don’t need oil change receipts to tell if an engine has been maintained.
With a 6 inch high stack of oil receipts from the J team, there’s no way that engine should have been sludged. One could speculate why, but the bottom line is it shouldn‘t have happened.
He’s now using the dealer and supplying his own oil.
Maybe they didn't really change it? Sometimes engine design can be at fault too.

I took the wife's '18 Elantra GT in for an oil change.
A semi-syn change was $63 with a $29 coupon off.
So, the regular price is like $90? that's nuts, the dealer gets $70 and uses a Hyundai filter.
I told the greeter to not bother checking the air filter because the car only has 17K miles on it.
He informed me that the recommendation was to change the air filter at 5K or 6K miles!
I told him that air filters were good for 30K or so and he said no that's the new recommendation.
I ended with just leave it alone.

I'm done with Jiffy Lube.
And then they monkey with the air box, and then don't put it back together properly!

Just an FIY, before planning on having any of the places mentioned in this thread, do a google search on how many engines and transmissions that they have ruined, left the drain plug loose etc. We got a car from some relatives a few years ago that only had Jiffy do the maintenance, the air filter was upside down and only one latch was latched because it would not close all the way, engine dusted? A bit maybe.

The name JiffyLube implies in and out quickly. Its relatively easy to stock a bunch of air and oil filters, bulbs and wiper blades and of course fluids. But stocking brake pads, rotors, calipers, shocks gets a lot more difficult. Not sure you want to go to JiffyLube for a brake job and have to wait while the NAPA delivery guy delivers the needed parts. It's no longer "Jiffy". I like to be involved in the selection of some parts. Don't want to end up with any that RockAuto would list in the "budget" section. That's why I often supply my own parts.
The name Jiffy Lube dates back fifty years, and is a established, well known brand. Their business model today has changed considerably from that in their early days. The fast lube segment of the market had stagnated and shrunk in mature markets, so developing new revenue streams is essential to growth or even survival.
Clearly they're not for you. I don't use them either. When I had company cars, I was required to have service performed at recommended intervals at licensed facilities. So if the owner were there to see it, I'd have the service done at Jiffy Lube during sales calls. In my own cars, I've paid for exactly one oil change and one brake job since getting my first car in 1976.
Many of my garage customers would refuse to work on customer's cars if they insist on supplying their own parts. Those who would charge around a 50% increase in the labor rate and provide no warranty. However most would agree to honor parts quality requests with the understanding that using premium parts will result in a higher repair bill.

Back