Toyota RAV4 30K service cost?

A friend's daughter asked me to service her 2021 RAV4 hybrid; apparently the dealer quoted about $1,000. I did not see the quote but I have the 30K work sheet.
Oil change service, engine and cabin air filters and tire rotation. The rest is inspection.

By the way, it seems 0w16 oil options are pretty limited. I Amazon'ed M1 and filters for $65 including the governor's tax.

I thought $1K was a little steep, to say the least. I told her she must be mistaken.
Is that what the going rates for a 30K service are nowadays?

1694702130825.png

Stealer's gonna steal. You're right, the "inspection" is just a quick glance with a light on it. Takes them a minute or less to gloss over everything to see any wetness and it's been revealed that the rest doesn't even get done since typically nothing happens and if something happens it magically happened after the inspection. Some people actually think they do everything.

If it's $1000... then the service plan out to 50k I paid for when I bought the car (in lieu of an extended warranty) was definitely worth it.

At the dealership were I bought my car, an oil change with filter was about $80, and offers 3 oil changes/tire rotation packages for something like $129.99

While technically according to the owner's manual, the Toyota EFI fuel additive is not necessary, since it's for areas with extremely poor quality fuel (and it lists them, but can't recall from my head), and CA's reformulated gas doesn't qualify for the EFI tank additive. So that's another thing for overcharging.

Cabin filters and engine air filters are overpriced, especially if they put in a carbon activated filter (as the MSRP was around $50).

They are not going to open the rear differential oil fill plug to check level, but the dealership will still charge an hour of labor for that.

The hybrid battery cooling filter, literally takes less than 5 minutes to do, but count on the dealership charging an hour for that.

The going rate will vary, as labor charges vary from area to area. It's the amount of hours they intend to charge that matters, it would would realistically take them 2 hours to do (and that's a technician multi-tasking other jobs on busy days), but they are going to charge at least double.

That is insane. My wife is have a synthetic OC, multipoint inspection, Tire rotation and all fluid topoff for $109.00 this Friday at her selling Subaru Dealer - no coupons.

I would call them and ask if they slipped a digit. Then call the Attorney Generals office.

Use Toyota parts deal to acquire the parts and take them to an independent shop. I can tell you that on my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid, the air filter is two clips (2 seconds) and swap out. Oil change is the easiest one ever. I wouldnt pay $300 to have that work done in my opinion.

You would need to see what their "inspection" found, but generically unless something is broken its pretty much an oil change.

At 30K my dealer wanted $200 for 2 air filters and an alignment. I passed - the filters were new, changed by me. No tire wear / no toe and go needed.

I would do the oil, wipers, air and cabin filter and maybe the serpentine belt. Ours is ICE and has 35K on it. I will do a spill and fill of the trans shortly, but I don't think the hybrid needs anything for the trans?

You would need to see what their "inspection" found, but generically unless something is broken its pretty much an oil change.

At 30K my dealer wanted $200 for 2 air filters and an alignment. I passed - the filters were new, changed by me. No tire wear / no toe and go needed.

I would do the oil, wipers, air and cabin filter and maybe the serpentine belt. Ours is ICE and has 35K on it. I will do a spill and fill of the trans shortly, but I don't think the hybrid needs anything for the trans?
Hybrid has a drain and refill for the transmission (power split device)

The dealer is adding all sorts of “optional services” that they “recommend” but Toyota does not.

Good on you for provided only the recommended services for her.

And at a substantial savings.

The dealer is adding all sorts of “optional services” that they “recommend” but Toyota does not.

It's actually in line with the warranty/maintenance manual.

1694706238783.jpg

T

And you think $1,000 is a fair price for those inspections?

My Mercedes Dealer does all those inspections, changes the oil and filter, using 10 quarts of genuine Mercedes Mobil 1, and charges about $250.
Maybe over in the Bay Area, labor rates for even Toyota dealerships are insanely expensive....and it's going to be even higher for a premium brand like mercedes.

which is why I said in my first response, labor rates vary from area to area.... it's the hours they are charging that matters more.

$1k is a lot, is any of the items to be inspected really buried under shields or other components to be taken off? Is it 3-4hrs worth?
Probably not.
The one thing dealer service may buy is them going to bat for you on a warranty issue, or something big just after warranty, but still $1k is too much for even that if you estimate the odds...

I enjoy this stuff, Astro. And I get to learn. The SO tools feel good in my hand. Times are tough for everyone. The $1,000 is a punch in the kisser, especially for young families.

At the end of the day, it's a dang oil change.

Last edited:
Back