Rav4 RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JMJNet
I agree 400K is amazing.
My friend RAV4 have close to 200k, the transmission gave up.
Here, there are shop that sells JDM Engine and Tranny, so she spent around $1300 for a rebuild JDM tranny including installation.
Not cheap but not another car payment.

No, she did not change the tranny fluid religiously, just once or twice.

I actually called a couple transmission places before the junkyard. After I told them it wouldn't even shift in neutral they quoted me $3200 to $4800.

Originally Posted by Donald
So why did you let the maint go on the transmission go? You could not have known it would go to 400K with little maint on the transmission.

I bowled with a guy that owns a transmission shop and asked him about servicing the tranny after I read about everyone on here preaching it. He said with over 100k miles on it, it was too late to drain and fill and it would be best to just let it be. And I wanted to see how long it would last on its lifetime fill. My wife never got a car past 100k miles so once it hit 100k miles, she felt like she was gambling with house money. Didn't think it would last this many miles. We see few of this model on the road with AWD.

Last edited:
My goal 200k that will be good enough.But who knows,on time maintainnance..

19 Civic hatchback sport 7K miles

It's time to move on the next; you did amazing job on the old one; 400 is more than enough in my book;
all the best with the new on, I really like the looks of the 2020 RAV4 model

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I can't help compare this thread to the BMW thread that is going on at the same time...
Sheesh.

Which one of the brands is more reliable? Just kidding.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You got a good long life out of that Toyota. The new one will serve you well.

I agree ^^^^^^

Ya done good Leo...

Thanks for all the congratulations. I've been going out every Sunday to lift the hood on the old girl and check on things. Going to miss that. At least for a few weeks.

Should have never put the Lucas in the trans.
lol.gif

Sorry,couldn't help myself .
21.gif

'I bowled with a guy that owns a transmission shop and asked him about servicing the tranny after I read about everyone on here preaching it. He said with over 100k miles on it, it was too late to drain and fill and it would be best to just let it be. And I wanted to see how long it would last on its lifetime fill. My wife never got a car past 100k miles so once it hit 100k miles, she felt like she was gambling with house money. Didn't think it would last this many miles. We see few of this model on the road with AWD.'

bowling goof should have kept that ATF advice in his pocket, couple hundred bucks in refreshes that Rav could be sold for running money today.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Thanks for all the congratulations. I've been going out every Sunday to lift the hood on the old girl and check on things. Going to miss that. At least for a few weeks.

Thank you for all the updates along the way. I'll miss hearing them. But good job getting it that far. After a little bit of time I'm sure you won't it that much compared to the new one.

Grampi on here has an 04 Corolla with over 400k miles I think. He has done regular drain and fills on the trans with ST atf from Walmart. But I remember him stating recently that the engine uses a quart every 800 miles. Although I think he uses Rural King oil in it. He bought it used with a little over 100k if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by grampi
Rural King oil is cheaper than ST anyway. ST conventional is like $2.67 a qt, the RK oil is $1.99. I use the cheapest stuff I can find in my Corolla. The wife's Sienna gets M1 full syn, and so will the Vette...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Grampi on here has an 04 Corolla with over 400k miles I think. He has done regular drain and fills on the trans with ST atf from Walmart. But I remember him stating recently that the engine uses a quart every 800 miles. Although I think he uses Rural King oil in it. He bought it used with a little over 100k if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by grampi
Rural King oil is cheaper than ST anyway. ST conventional is like $2.67 a qt, the RK oil is $1.99. I use the cheapest stuff I can find in my Corolla. The wife's Sienna gets M1 full syn, and so will the Vette...

After 400k, might it be burning oil no matter what? It's a Corolla and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back