Rav4 RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it finally happened. The wife's 2004 Rav4 finally died. 150 miles short of 400,000 miles. Wife tried to back out of parking spot at her office at lunch and there was a loud BANG. She thought she hit something. It wouldn't go back. Just revved in reverse. Would still go forward. She called me and I arrived thinking we could push it out of the spot and drive it home if forward still worked. Nope. The tranny grenaded and it wouldn't go into neutral. D1 and D2 wouldn't work either. Decided it was time to put her to pasture. The tranny was slipping bad a couple months ago and I added Lucas anti slip which worked for a few months. Those that have followed me know the tranny wasn't serviced properly. I changed out 1 quart of fluid 3 times over its life.

The junkyard people are like vultures. Called one guy and he offered $350 and said he'd come the next day for it. Another offered me $400 and said he'd be there in 20 minutes (and he was). The first guy called back and offered me more money. Had a bidding war going on a car that doesn't move.

So, it went to the junkyard with almost all factory original parts. Only parts replaced due to malfunction were , starter (2x), fuel pump, 2 brake calipers, A/C radiator fan, 1 sway bar coupling, 1 sun visor, 1 O2 sensor. 1 coil, 1 radiator cap. Radiator, hoses, and thermometer were changed as PM.

Still had the original exhaust, water pump, struts, shocks... It was a really good car. Might still be running if I would have serviced the transmission fluid.

We bought a new Rav4 the same day the old one died. Wanted to get a Hybrid Limited but they are not discounting those much. A non-hybrid XLE Premium well optioned and in the colors my wife wanted, red with black interior was a lot less money. Like $8000 less. I plan to change the ATF in the new Rav4 and hope that will get over 400,000 miles. Fram Ultra filters. Takes 0w16 oil.

The new Rav4 has a lot of technology in it. But it doesn't have homelink or even a nice place to stash the GDO. It has start/stop. My wife was adamantly against it. Saying people would beep at her to get moving and she feared getting rear ended. After half a day driving with start stop she decided it was no big deal. It's a smart system. It only does start/stop when the battery is fully charged it will keep the engine running when the battery starts to drain below a certain level.

Leo99:
I remember reading your 'lack of A/T maintenance' over the years. It's great that you got 400K out of it.
I wonder how long it would have run had you did a D&R every 30 or 40K?. We'll never know....

Nothing wrong with 400k miles and ~15 years of service. I'd say you got money's worth out the RAV. Enjoy your new RAV.

$8000 a pretty steep premium for the Hybrid, can't blame you for passing.

400K? Wow, well done. I woulda kissed that car when they towed her off.
Maybe you shoulda leased it and turned it back in at 36K or 3 years?

Wow! I could only dream of getting 400k out of a car. Even if I do perfect maintenance, probability says with the area I live the vehicle will be killed by bad drivers or rust.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Takes 0w16 oil.

I know a bloke who would put 20w-50 in it and say he's protecting it real good. Because 0w is too thin for a hot motor, just like 5w is too thin for my Subaru.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by peejaycruiser
Originally Posted by Leo99
Takes 0w16 oil.

I know a bloke who would put 20w-50 in it and say he's protecting it real good. Because 0w is too thin for a hot motor, just like 5w is too thin for my Subaru.
crazy2.gif

The factory 0W16 in it is really thin. It looks watery on the dipstick.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Wow! I could only dream of getting 400k out of a car. Even if I do perfect maintenance, probability says with the area I live the vehicle will be killed by bad drivers or rust.

Truth.

That's amazing! Halfway there on the '10 Sienna and this is inspiring. Still a long way to go on the '12 Camry (340k more).
I'm sure the new Rav4 will serve you well as well! To many happy miles.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I'd love to get 100K miles of daily driver duty out of something before it turns to rust!

Move farther from work. Once you start driving 100+ miles per day it becomes very easy to do.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Fantastic. What grade of oil did you mostly run?

For the first 230k miles, it went to the local quick lube place. I assume they put in the labeled on the oil cap 5w30.

After 230k miles the RMS started to seep so I switched to HM oil. The cost at the quick lube place went from $24 to $55. I started to change the oil myself then with 5w30 HM. Oil consumption started to get bad about 300k miles (about 1 qt per 750 miles) so I switched to 10w40 HM.

At 270k miles I noticed the transfer case had a leak. The local tranny shop wanted over $1000 to repair/replace it. For the past 130k miles I've been topping off the transfer case with fluid around every oil change. The leak has gotten worse the past few months going from about 1 to 3 ounces of fluid to 8 ounces. The transfer case only holds 16 ounces so losing half the fluid in 5000 miles is bad.

Thankfully, it died at my wife's work. She was in a safe place. The weather was clear.

I agree 400K is amazing.
My friend RAV4 have close to 200k, the transmission gave up.
Here, there are shop that sells JDM Engine and Tranny, so she spent around $1300 for a rebuild JDM tranny including installation.
Not cheap but not another car payment.

No, she did not change the tranny fluid religiously, just once or twice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back