Bought a 2005 Toyota Corolla

It is unarguably the most boring, soul crushing car ever made.

Not a bad thing if that is what one desires.
But also a good reliable platform for mods. People lower them for twisty roads, slam them for car shows, lift them for rally bashing down the trails, or stay stock and commute until the odometer stops at 299,999 miles (on 2003-2008 models), then replace the odometer and do it all over again, and again. And this boring drivetrain just takes it all without complaining giving back great miles per gallon if stock. or smiles per gallon if modified. Don't forget about its utilitarian siblings: Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.

My ex and I test-drove a 5MT (or maybe a 6mt?) vibe a decade back or so. THAT car was cool. I was a big fan of it but she didn’t care for it. It was well-sorted, very comfortable, and the stick was absolutely workable for work and play. It didn’t feel like a penalty box at all; it felt like a car you wanted to own and drive. I was sad she didn’t go for it. She bought a Ford Escape hybrid instead, also a very good car, only to later trade it for a Corolla. Should a just gotten the vibe….

My ex and I test-drove a 5MT (or maybe a 6mt?) vibe a decade back or so. THAT car was cool. I was a big fan of it but she didn’t care for it. It was well-sorted, very comfortable, and the stick was absolutely workable for work and play. It didn’t feel like a penalty box at all; it felt like a car you wanted to own and drive. I was sad she didn’t go for it. She bought a Ford Escape hybrid instead, also a very good car, only to later trade it for a Corolla. Should a just gotten the vibe….
The 5MT has a 1ZZ engine. Stroker, so all power is in mid-range RPM, and runs out of steam up top. But due to stroker configuration it has all the power, all 123 ponies, in the perfect range for a daily driver.

The 6MT has a 2ZZ engine. "Square" engine design makes it a high revver. But once it revs up to 8400RPM, all 173 horsies are putting in work. This one sure did give some turbocharged VWs and Civic Si of that era a run for their money, despite both of those having more power on paper. No wonder Lotus used this engine in the Elise and Exige. Toyota stuck it in the MR2 as well.

But also a good reliable platform for mods. People lower them for twisty roads, slam them for car shows, lift them for rally bashing down the trails, or stay stock and commute until the odometer stops at 299,999 miles (on 2003-2008 models), then replace the odometer and do it all over again, and again. And this boring drivetrain just takes it all without complaining giving back great miles per gallon if stock. or smiles per gallon if modified. Don't forget about its utilitarian siblings: Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.
And a Prius is a basically a Corolla underneath as well. The sway bars for that generation of Corolla here(2003-2008) is a direct swap on a 2004-2009 Prius - no need to spend money on Tanabe or TOMS from Japan. The 2nd gen Scion xB is also Corolla based, unlike the Yaris-based 1st gen model.

You can even lift a Corolla/Prius as well.

And a Prius is a basically a Corolla underneath as well. The sway bars for that generation of Corolla here(2003-2008) is a direct swap on a 2004-2009 Prius - no need to spend money on Tanabe or TOMS from Japan. The 2nd gen Scion xB is also Corolla based, unlike the Yaris-based 1st gen model.

You can even lift a Corolla/Prius as well.
I had a 2009 Scion xB. Love the room, power was good, but between the generations I'd take the 1st gen any day, as long as it's a 5MT. Always liked the look of the 1st gen, and the better fuel efficiency is a huge bonus. I can live without the extra power. Heck, I commuted on a 49CC scoot for 7-8 months, so for me MPG>WHP all day long. Overall the 1.5L 1NZ-FE in xB1 is a much more reliable and efficient unit than the 2.4L 2AZ-FE in xB2. To me the 1st gen is like a legal chance to own a Kei car with a big block lol. Considering JDM kei cars only had 0.6L of displacement. We'll call it Kei+.

Last edited:
this is true and
this is true
A matter of perspective and priorities.
92fe4b1e6d5def1d19ad799c1d55f4d9.png

i've never seen owner of Corolla file for bankruptcy; on the other hand, many people got bankrupt in many ways because of a Mercedes and alike
How do you even know what car a person who files for bankruptcy drives? And how many people do you know that have filed for bankruptcy?

Back