09 BMW 328i for son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 1 lady owner 09 BMW 328i with 101,000 for my son at the auction. $4900 his money. Graded 4.1 out of a perfect 5.
Looks like the BMW dealer tried to retail/wholesale it before they brought it to us as it has some stickers on the windows.

Paint perfect. Interior perfect. Maintenance records on car fax show she was upsold every time she hit the shop.. Multiple cabin air filters brake, power steering radiator flushes. Plugs, valve cover gaskets tranny flush, intake manifold gasket ....just everything. Needs nothing under the hood.

The bad. Ding on hood. 4 inch long Ft window crack 4 inches off the hood out of line of sight low. Run flats replaces with non runflats and looks like BMW dealer raided the trunk.
Need jack, lug wrench ect

Does anyone know of any donut spares that are interchangeable to go on a 2009 328i --- 205 55 16
Going to a junk yard and would like more options if there are any.

Thanks

When you say "everything" and you are speaking of a BMW of that vintage, did they replace the plastic cooling system components? Who gives a hoot about cabin air filters and VC gaskets on a car like that.

I ask because if the cooling system still has those original components, that's probably why they auctioned it. They should probably be replaced soon, I'm sure a BMW expert will be in this thread pretty soon to discuss that topic.

The E90 cooling systems are far less problematic than the generation of cars before it. There really is no need to wholesale replace everything every 100k miles as before.

If there is no receipt for replacement of the electric water pump and thermostat, that would be next on my list of things to do. I've personally seen multiple N52 engine cars with these pumps fail before 100k miles, and there was little warning. When they fail, typically, the car shuts down to prevent catastrophic overheating, and that's it. When it cools down, you may be able to drive it a mile or so, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. It will likely happen at a rather inopportune time, not in your driveway or across the street from a good shop.

Originally Posted by drtyler
The E90 cooling systems are far less problematic than the generation of cars before it. There really is no need to wholesale replace everything every 100k miles as before.

If there is no receipt for replacement of the electric water pump and thermostat, that would be next on my list of things to do. I've personally seen multiple N52 engine cars with these pumps fail before 100k miles, and there was little warning. When they fail, typically, the car shuts down to prevent catastrophic overheating, and that's it. When it cools down, you may be able to drive it a mile or so, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. It will likely happen at a rather inopportune time, not in your driveway or across the street from a good shop.

Thanks,
That's the only thing I don't see being done. Maybe it has. I'll check next week.

Looking on Rock Auto now. Any favorites (middle number is core charge)

DORMAN 599960 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Reman. Info
Part image
>
$198.79 $100.00 $298.79
Add to Cart
Standard Replacement collapse
HELLA 702851200 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Pierburg Info
328i Base Model; Includes required mounting screws
$264.99 $0.00 $264.99
Add to Cart
GATES 41526E {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} (Electric) Info
Part image
>
$299.79 $0.00 $299.79
Add to Cart
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS E19001 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} TechSmart Info One of our most popular parts
Part image
>
$299.79 $0.00 $299.79
Add to Cart
BECK/ARNLEY 1312486 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the USA. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Engine Code N52; With Bolt Kit
Part image
>
$340.79 $0.00 $340.79
Add to Cart
AIRTEX AW6680 Includes Gasket Info One of our most popular parts
(Only 3 Remaining)
Part image
$535.79

Last edited:
None of those, except perhaps Hella if it is a relabeled Pierburg.

Pierburg or OE BMW for the water pump; wahler or Mahle/Behr for the thermostat. Check FCPEuro.com. They will also have the proper BMW coolant as well.

Originally Posted by clarkflower

Thanks,
That's the only thing I don't see being done. Maybe it has. I'll check next week.

Looking on Rock Auto now. Any favorites

DORMAN 599960 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Reman. Info
Part image
>
$198.79 $100.00 $298.79
Add to Cart
Standard Replacement collapse
HELLA 702851200 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Pierburg Info
328i Base Model; Includes required mounting screws
$264.99 $0.00 $264.99
Add to Cart
GATES 41526E {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} (Electric) Info
Part image
>
$299.79 $0.00 $299.79
Add to Cart
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS E19001 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} TechSmart Info One of our most popular parts
Part image
>
$299.79 $0.00 $299.79
Add to Cart
BECK/ARNLEY 1312486 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the USA. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Engine Code N52; With Bolt Kit
Part image
>
$340.79 $0.00 $340.79
Add to Cart
AIRTEX AW6680 Includes Gasket Info One of our most popular parts
(Only 3 Remaining)
Part image
$535.79

Last edited:
Great car! My wife has a 2010 328i X Drive and it's been a great car for us so far! We got it in July 2014 with 50k on it, now has 112k on it and it's been pretty reliable for us. We did have to change the intake gaskets and a water pump, and most recently we had to get new wheels because the OEMs were badly bent but we found some brand new replicas for only $500 CDN for the set! I just love the straight six engine in this car too, it's super smooth.

IMG_5743.JPG

We were lucky when the water pump failed on ours, as it was in the cooler months. The first sign of a problem was that the fans were running at high speed all the time. That lasted a couple of days and then my wife got the message that it was overheating and it shut down, but she was only about a half mile from our house when that happened, so she let it cool for 5 minutes and then was able to drive it home. We called our mechanic and the next morning we started the roughly 20 mile journey to his shop. We were able to get about halfway there before it shut down (it was about 35-40F outside) so we parked it in a mall parking lot for about 5 hours and let it fully cool down and then drove it the rest of the way to his shop. IIRC the repair didn't cost us too much, maybe around $500 CDN. (our mechanic is awesome!)

E46 cooling system is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than e90. I would agree at some point you will have to do a preventative thermostat and water pump ( they are right beside each other). Other than that, oil , brakes and tires. Vcg will eventually go. Get rid of the run flats, they make it ride like crap.

Looks great (except for the snow)

I might just do it now as I have people here who will do it for 450. Some moron (the guy who did the old work) tried to quote me 1000!
450 for the pump and 120 for the thermostat
VCG done. Run flats gone and should have a spare tonight.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
Run flats replaces with non runflats and looks like BMW dealer raided the trunk.
Need jack, lug wrench ect
Does anyone know of any donut spares that are interchangeable to go on a 2009 328i --- 205 55 16
Going to a junk yard and would like more options if there are any.

If the car came with runflat tires, it didn't come from the factory with a spare tire, jack, or tools.
Get him a tire repair kit with inflator for minor punctures, like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Safety-7-Minute-Repair/dp/B001DZFZPG
and buy him Roadside Assistance with towing coverage for major tire damage and breakdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back