It pays to buy your Rolex(s) from the same place plus othr stuff for my wife when she was living......

I have always liked watches but my small collection comprised of watches that retailed under $500. Last year I told myself that since I wasn't getting any younger and had the disposable income to buy something as frivolous as a luxury mechanical watch that I was going to treat myself. I had always wanted a Rolex Daytona or an Omega Speedmaster. Once I looked at the prices on Daytonas and saw how the limited supply of Rolex's was causing a scalper's market I decided to buy the Speedmaster. It still cost more than the first new car I ever bought.

Sure, a $29 Casio is more rugged and accurate. But it isn't about that. On more than one occasion I have had a prefect stranger ask if my watch was a Speedmaster. It's kind of like being in an exclusive club when you own a luxury watch. People either get it or they don't.

I still would like a Rolex someday but I agree the "Pepsi" model is ugly. I have no use for a GMT type. I think the current trend from luxury watchmakers to offer colored dials like green, red, blue or the most hideous, the "Tiffany" light blue is something that may go away and be seen as dated by collectors in the future. But a stainless Submariner will never go out of style.

Very true but consider the value of some models outperforms s&p 500/ gold/ you name it etc.
No offense intended, but that's kind of a circular argument. Essentially it's "people should think they're valuable because people think they're valuable."

What you're describing is a speculative asset bubble, like tulip mania, where the price becomes disconnected from intrinsic value. It's rational to exploit that bubble if you can, and thumbs-up for you that you did, but during the bubble, the price is not a good guide to the intrinsic value of the goods. It's not "they cost this because they're worth it" so much as "they cost this because they cost this."

Just sticking with my 10 watch collection. The Omega Seamaster 300M I bought used is 14 y.o. was $1900. Beautiful watch that probably will not appreciate or depreciate much. Have always worn a watch and feel naked without one. My second favorite is my Invicta 1953 all black 3 hander. Yes, it is a simple Submariner homage but I think it looks good. Keeps great time +/- 2 sec a day.
20220417_101631.jpg

Last edited:
Once I looked at the prices on Daytonas and saw how the limited supply of Rolex's was causing a scalper's market

You mean like the OP, who is extremely excited about the prospect of obtaining a Pepsi GMT Master, then immediately pivots to questioning if he should sell it for profit?

If people bought watches they actually wanted to own and not watches that are simply available that could be resold, the Rolex market and ADs themselves would be in much better shape.

This year's FH report on the industry showed overall retail sales of all Swiss watches in 2021 at 21% higher than pre-pandemic 2019. Rolex leads the way with 3x the sales volume of the next nearest competitors, Cartier and Omega. Rolex is producing more watches than anyone in the industry.

As much as people want to blame Rolex for their inability to obtain a piece, they're absolutely churning out watches.

I heard a very interesting prediction recently: In the next 5 years, Rolex will begin offering direct-to-consumer online sales through a partner (the individual making the prediction mentioned Hodinkee as a partner) with more transparency than ADs. This being a warning shot at ADs to straighten up and stop the known "back-door" dealings with grey-market resellers.

No offense intended, but that's kind of a circular argument. Essentially it's "people should think they're valuable because people think they're valuable."

What you're describing is a speculative asset bubble, like tulip mania, where the price becomes disconnected from intrinsic value. It's rational to exploit that bubble if you can, and thumbs-up for you that you did, but during the bubble, the price is not a good guide to the intrinsic value of the goods. It's not "they cost this because they're worth it" so much as "they cost this because they cost this."
sure....just lke real estate its worth only what you can manipulate the worth of xxxxxx.
right now in this inflation economy housing and rent has gone insane.....as we all know sooner ot later it will crash.
back during the last real estate run up in 2005-2008...I made millions in condo's in north Scottsdale....
Sooner ot later the Rolex craze will return to normal.....but until tht happens i will milk it for all its worth.
Im retired...... if i can make a extra 75k-100k plus a year buying and selling them...its kinda fun....gives us old baby boomers something to do.
IMHO buyinng stocks and MFs are just as risky if you dont know what your doing as with anyting in life.....timing is the key of course and buy low sell high.

This! The clock on my microwave keeps better time than a $100,000 Rolex! Like that old saying, “If I have to explain it..you still wouldn’t understand” ! (y)
Or a Harley Davidson.....over priced ....yes
are their better bikes for less sure.....
but H-D has made millions and millons off it.....
Its starting to bite them in the ass now but they had a huge run for decades

Or a Harley Davidson.....over priced ....yes
are their better bikes for less sure.....
but H-D has made millions and millons off it.....
Its starting to bite them in the ass now but they had a huge run for decades

It's not just Harley. Although they've been hit harder than most motorcycle manufacturers. Motorcycling is dying off in general among the young crowd.

It's much the same with auto racing. (NASCAR, NHRA, and Indy Car), as well as hot rodding. Car shows today consist of mostly older guys keeping it alive. Along with all the lowrider crap.

The millennial crowd doesn't have the interest in rolling stock for the most part. Most are into gaming, or some other type of computer fare. Not much physical activity of any type. It's one of the reasons obesity and diabetes is off the charts with today's younger crowd, when compared to 50 years ago.

It's not just Harley. Although they've been hit harder than most motorcycle manufacturers. Motorcycling is dying off in general among the young crowd.

It's much the same with auto racing. (NASCAR, NHRA, and Indy Car), as well as hot rodding. Car shows today consist of mostly older guys keeping it alive. Along with all the lowrider crap.

The millennial crowd doesn't have the interest in rolling stock for the most part. Most are into gaming, or some other type of computer fare. Not much physical activity of any type. It's one of the reasons obesity and diabetes is off the charts with today's younger crowd, when compared to 50 years ago.

Pretty much.

My dads generation (boomers) spent more time outside and were healthier as a cosequence and it went downhill from there.

My generation (X) split its time between indoor an outdoor.

Millennials really started losing the appetite for motor driven sports.

Gen"z" seem to do as little as possible outside.

View attachment 96662
I agree 100%… harkens back to a time when a Rolex was a tool watch, not a fashion statement… but it must have drilled through lug holes.

They were a tool watch, for sure, but they were also an accomplishment, goal, or reward in every case.

It used to say something about the wearer, that you were interesting or accomplished in some way.

The fashion statement part although great for the brand, diminishes its uniqueness in my opinion.

Although still a fantastic piece - now it just says you have some money.

If you can afford Rolex watches, GodBlessYou and congrats to you for getting another one.
I like Rolex’s but not the ones that most people do. I like the Explorer and the Cellini. I am not a fan of the Oyster case DJ w/fluted bezel however, I do like it w/non fluted bezel.

My GF who is a retired nurse laughs and says the only exercise the "M's" get is pressing the keys on a cell phone.....
Besides phones and xbox crap i dont see much the "M's" are interested in....and of course saying how easy i had it and how hard they did etc. My wife's grandson who is 32 does nothing on his days off except play computer games.....once he asked me how come you boomers dont like them? I told him i would rather read a book anyday...at the time i was 60 i think ......i told him to me thats has to be the biggest waste of time and money on the planet. Oh and yeah you are correct he is a good 40+ pounds overweight.....from drinking all that boutique beer drinking with his backwards baseball cap wearing buds.

Back