It pays to buy your Rolex(s) from the same place plus othr stuff for my wife when she was living......

I went to my local Rolex AD to put on an extra link on my TT DJ and the owner asked me how many watches ive bought from him.....3 Rolex and 1 Tudor.....my reply.
He told me they are suppose to get 3 GMT's in the comming months and was wanting to know did I still want one
Hell yes ....only been on the list almost a year....so maybe in the next few months i will get a new GMT pepsi....or the TT.....im not picky....but prefer the Pepsi. I hope he calls in the next few months.....im so excited ....get a new GMT for 11k with taxes.....not 25k plus.
Im tempted to sell it....if i get 15k profit for doing zip is hard to pass on.

The Rolex AD Greatest Hits album:

1. "You're a loyal customer"
2. "You've bought from us in the past"
3. "We want to continue our business"
4. "We're getting more watches in"
5. "Backlogs are freeing up"
6. "Watches are moving"
7. "More GMTs are showing up every month"
8. "I'll call you when"

Actually they have a mechanical, self-winding aka automatic movement that is oiled at the factory and will need reoiled eventually. I'm guessing you knew that.
You guessed right. I know how automatic watches are constructed.

That said, I wear quartz watches, because I like accuracy.

I have never cared much for Rolex. The Rolex pepsi is ugly. The Submariner in Oystersteel with NO date, a black face and white baton indexes is the only one I care for.
45EB06CC-11F8-4D1D-806E-E52E55ABE456.jpeg

I agree 100%… harkens back to a time when a Rolex was a tool watch, not a fashion statement… but it must have drilled through lug holes.

One doesn’t buy a Rolex for it’s accurate time keeping….(y)
I know that too.

To me, timekeeping is the watch's primary function; everything else is secondary to that. If I paid five figures for a watch less accurate than a $13 Casio, it would bug me every time I had to reset it to make up for the lost seconds. I've heard the arguments for "owning a fine piece of craftsmanship" or "the satisfaction of knowing it's a Rolex/Patek Philippe/Omega/whatever," and if that floats the boat for other people, then that's right for them. But not for me. The nicest watch I have is a $60 Citizen. It looks presentable, keeps very accurate time, and I don't need to get too bent out of shape if I scratch the stainless.

In horology accuracy and precision are two different things. Any quartz watch is accurate probably better than a Rolex. A mechanical chronometer has to be precise but not necessarily accurate. A watch can be accurate or precise or both or neither.

Ive known the guy 15 years....if he says some will show up i believe him....he got some EX 1 and 2's in and of course most were sold before display......he said the new TT EX1 sat in the display case for two days before it sold.
I have the 39 mm EX1 with the Mark 2 dial bought on the owner saying he had heard rumor of them going back to 36 mm and the 39 MK2 would be the one to have .....he was 100 percent correct....I paid 7012 with tax ......I could get 10 for it min.....not as good as some my subs....have doubled in price.
As i have stated many times ive never lost a dime with a Rolex in my 64 years.

My son recently sold his 10 year old sea dweller. He didn’t tell me how much he sold it for but did say he got more than what he paid for it new.

In horology accuracy and precision are two different things. Any quartz watch is accurate probably better than a Rolex. A mechanical chronometer has to be precise but not necessarily accurate. A watch can be accurate or precise or both or neither.
If I correctly understand the distinction you're making, you're using "accuracy" to mean conformity to external standards of time, and "precision" to mean repeatability (i.e. each second the watch ticks off is precisely the same as the last, even if it differs from the external standard).

I would reply that quartz watches are more accurate than mechanical, and usually more precise due to less influence from motion of the wearer's arm.

I understand that quartz watches don't have the cachet or fascination that a mechanical watch evinces. Most quartz watches are essentially tools for telling time. Mechanical watches tend to have other reasons for existence. A quartz watch is a Subaru and a mechanical watch is a Land Rover.

One doesn’t buy a Rolex for it’s accurate time keeping….
..... Mechanical watches tend to have other reasons for existence.

I never was able to grasp that concept. To me it would be a bit like paying an extra $4,000.00 to have your new car equipped with a carburetor, distributor, and breaker points.

I never was able to grasp that concept. To me it would be a bit like paying an extra $4,000.00 to have your new car equipped with a carburetor, distributor, and breaker points.
Very true but consider the value of some models outperforms s&p 500/ gold/ you name it etc.
As stated many times I spend 3750 on a Rolex GMT in 2005 ......todays market its selling for 14k to 17k depending on condition.
My Sub that I bought in high school (1975) for close to 400.00 is worth 22k today....
There is a guy who has a website davidsw.com in orlando who has net worth of 20 million from a part tim biz of buying and selling Rolex and other highend brands....I would see him in Scottsdale at least twice a year back in early 2000's at watch shows and Vegas....now he has very nice showroom now in Orlando.

I know lots of guys that much prefer points, carbs, etc......at least we can fix it on a Subday afternoon.

I’ve been fascinated with watches since childhood. One of my older brothers had a Bulova Accutron when I was around 12 years old and I remember holding it to my ear and hearing the high pitched hum unlike any watch made at the time. He paid $150 for it in the early sixties which was a kings ransom to my mind. It was battery powered and the tuning fork system of the Accutron allowed the second hand to sweep rather than stop and start like all the other watches of the day. It technically would stop and start but the battery and tuning fork allowed it to do it so quickly the eye couldn’t see the pauses. I finally bought a 1967 Accutron off eBay about 10 years ago and the first thing I did after unboxing it was hold it to my ear. Then I watched the smooth movement of the second hand confirming what I had remembered when I was 12 years old. My inexpensive quartz watches are far more accurate and they’re throw away watches, but my mechanical watches are fascinating little machines to me even after all these years.

I have 45 watches, and no Rolex. I completely agree that the Submariner was originally made to be a tool watch, robust and reliable, but it has become far too expensive and mostly attracts a crowd that would - by accident only - wear it doing anything rough.

Back