Help pick my new police car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:
Do you think you can think out of the box and get an Avalon or Camry? Or do they have to be outfitted with police-special modifications?

Hahahhaa...

Sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but there's not a chance on ***'s green earth I'll drive a foreign car as my police vehicle. Plus, there's an even smaller chance - ZERO - my boss would allow a foreign car in the fleet. It just ain't happenin'.

I'm leaning toward staying with what I know and trust - the Crown Vic Police Interceptor. From a purely financial standpoint, a two or three year-old used one in excellent shape can be had for about half of the others cars when bought new. This pays for A LOT of fuel, insurance, and maintenance. Plus, I know how to work on Crown Vics like the back of my hand. The Crown Vic is comfortable, it's plenty powerful, it's efficient enough, and it's got a proven track record with the most imporant person - ME!
smile.gif

Everyone's put in some really excellent input and I appreciate it! There are a lot of posts that brought up things I'd never really considered in depth.

The jury is still out, but for now I can't really see myself dropping $25,000 on a new Charger when I can buy a nice, almost-new CVPI for about $10,000 to $12,000.

And, finally, do I really want to have to change my username????
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:
Do you think you can think out of the box and get an Avalon or Camry? Or do they have to be outfitted with police-special modifications?

That wouldn't even go over well in California.

AstroVic, you have made an excellent choice.

Of course, I do have to remind you that most Toyotas sold here are built here, including the Camry and Avalon, and a number of "American" cars are either built in Mexico or have significant foreign (e.g., China) content. The Avalon is built and sold only in North America. That's not to say that either Toyota model would make a good police car in US conditions.

For a few years in the early to mid-1990s the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis as foreign cars because they had 26% foreign content. Under EPA rules then, any vehicle with 25% or more foreign content was counted as foreign. Ford apparently arranged this on purpose for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations, as domestic and foreign cars were counted separately and foreign cars did not count as heavily in the average. Later the company reintroduced US content to make these cars count as domestic.

The foreign vs. domestic issue went by the wayside years ago. Welcome to globalization.
frown.gif
But do enjoy your Crown Vic.

Charger for sure, and I'd get the Hemi since the economy will end up being nearly the same. Just be sure you're happy running premium fuel in your daily driver work car.

The 3.5L is plenty adequete, and most people are scared of the charger
smile.gif
Theyre not as scared of an impala or crown vic cop.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
I'm leaning toward staying with what I know and trust - the Crown Vic Police Interceptor. From a purely financial standpoint, a two or three year-old used one in excellent shape can be had for about half of the others cars when bought new.
If you get a used Vic, try and get a 2005 rather than a 2004. 2003 and up have the new frame, suspension, and rack and pinion steering, but they have as much steering feel as the old recirculating ball systems. In 2005, Ford improved the steering feel and precision, and it made a HUGE difference. Plus one other thing I forgot to mention was that in 2005 Ford finally put a decent column shift on the car. It shifts much more crisp, doesn't have that loose sloppy feel of the older Ford design, and it seems to take punishment much better. Try out an '04 vs an '05 and you will see the difference.

I didn't care much for the pre-2003 CVPI's, but the improvements on the newer cars have made these cars so much better, I'd almost consider purchasing one as my daily driver.

In Michigan State Police Test, Charger with Hemi won hands down on all the performance testVs Crown Vic with 3.55 gears.
Over 2 seconds faster 0-60(6.52 vd 8.63) Top speed
of 150 vs 120, better gas mileage (17 City 25 hwy vs 16city 23 hwy, faster lap times around course by over 4 seconds at grattan raceway park. Also has bettter brakeing 29.13 ft/s>2 and distance of
133.5 60-0MPH vs Crown Vic 3.55 gear 27.1 Ft/s>2 and 142.9 ft 60-0

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MSP_Eval_146823_7.pdf

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
I think the Chargers represent a NEGATIVE PR. JMO.

From what I've heard from the officers that have HAD to drive the Impalas, they absolutely hate them. Despise them. Most Police Departments that bought them parked them before 60K miles. They just won't hold up.

The Crown Vics seem to be the only choice out there for Police cars now. Sorry, but I ain't buying the Tahoe as a Police vehicle. I like GM Fullsize SUVs and trucks, but they aren't Police vehicles. I would drive their Ext Cab trucks for a Police car over a Tahoe.

I doubt the Chargers are going to make good Police cars. They are designed and built as a consumer grade car. A friend of mine builds police cars and built a car for the Secret Service about a year ago. It was a 300M Hemi. He said it was a complete piece of junk on the inside.

The Crown Vic is the standard for police cruisers so there would be no problem getting any LE aftermarket items. Id guess that the roomy size and full frame, rear drive are well suited to police work. Plus, the old Vic still looks pretty cool with LED's and sweet graphics.

Is Ford still using a full frame with A-arm front suspension ?

I'm assuming that a police car gets lots of abuse to the front suspension (I watch the cop shows!).

I think suspension parts should ba a major player in your car buying decision. It's easy and relativly inexpensive to replace A-arms compared to the other design with no upper arms.

No upper arms just looks weaker to me.

Chevy=
thumbsdown.gif
from me regardless.

Hows your conditions you work in? City work? Chasin bad guys over curbs and gullys.....Ford.

Mostly highway, high speeds with few large bumps....Go Hemi.
cheers.gif

I've driven just about anything they can throw a lightbar on as my rolling office over the past 23 years and also teach driver training. My personal opinion is to stay with the Vic. Like Oldswagon mentioned, try to find an 05. Best handling and best steering feel of all the recent versions. For 06 they changed the ratio and made the steering very quirky. Lots of understeer and then a quick transition to snap-oversteer. "Spooky" was the term used alot when we first started getting 06s in the fleet.

We are gettin a few "Hemi" Chargers now but most of the new fleet cars are Vics. The Charger is pretty cool, definately fast, but eats tires. We have tried all kinds of things to tune out the wear: camber changes, toe, tire pressure etc. Mind you, this is at the limit stuff, but indicitive of how the car handles its weight even at sedate speeds. Just not sold on it yet.

Stay with what you know best. Its bulletproof in durability, comfortable and most of all, looks like a real cop car. I mean, c'mon, how many of us slow down when we see one? Even when they aren't felon taxis and driven by the old folks going to the Country Buffet.

Last edited:
I aint going to read all the posts but if this is probably your last police car go out with the Hemi Charger.. You will be smiling and looking & feeling good. And think of what all the kids will think of you in the cool police car. I think it is a more up to date image. Reward DMC for coming out with some inovation. for your line of work.. plus it sounds like it is really what you want.

The Hemi Charger would be my choice. I love the power of the 5.7 Hemi. That engine is near bulletproof. DC did a lot of reasearch and testing for this engine. The MDS is a great plus and changing the oil on this is the easiest of the vehicals that I have done. But whatever choice you make be sure that it is what you WANT! Because your going to spend a lot of time in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back