Help pick my new police car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You live in Texas, so I assume it is hot out there. Does the Charge have an electric fan or a clutch? I figure you will have lots of idle time in an LE cruiser and would worry that if it didn't have an electric fan it would overheat. Minor point that can probably be fixed, but just a thought.

I love the charger. I really wanted to buy one when the lease ended on the Tundra, but we just had a baby and it was cheaper to buy out the lease on the Tundra. That would definately be an ultra cool cop car.

I would say go with what you know will last. The Chargers haven't been out long enough to see if they'll withstand the beating. Crown Vics have been proven to withstand many hundred of thousands of miles with either with police depts, taxis etc. Now if you wasn't going to retire it as a DD I would say either, Charger or Crown Vics, would be a choice. My parents Impala has had to many problems so I wouldn't recommend it. Off-topic but I bought our Ranger and Escape because they have proven themselves to be farily reliable in the security companies i've worked for, and if they can withstand that beating surely normal duty would be a piece of cake.

Impalas around here belong to fringe small towns that barely need their own police. Said cops strut around making excuses for their own existence.

Crown vics go with Sheriffs and "real" city cops. That's my "image" opinion.
grin.gif

You would want to look at those MDS specs to see when it kicks in. If it's only under highway cruise and you vary your speed more it's not for you. I say get the charger 3.5 and maybe rice it up with a hemi badge.
grin.gif
Who's gonna chance it?

Talk one of your cop buddies into the same model with the hemi then you're under his aura too.
wink.gif

I would check pricing on front end parts, IDK how the chargers are set up but the double wishbone on the vic has a good rep for durability and has seperately replaceable shocks, right? IOW the charger runs the risk of being more fragile and/or more preppy.

I'd go with the Crown Vic no question. It's a proven car, with a low service cost, and IMHO the best all round police car on the market today. The Charger has a too small trunk, windows that are too small, unproven relability and durabilty record, and I am certain it will be more costly to maintain. Although the V6 Charger has similar power to the Vic, I am sure that the 4.6L has more torque throughout the power range, which will make the Crown Vic perform better overall.

I don't know if you have driven a new CVPI, but there has been significant improvements to the car since 2000. The suspension and chassis were heavily revised in 2003, and the steering feel was vastly improved in 2005 (I always disliked the lack of feel on the older Vics). The car is much more refined than it used to be, and by 2005 they nailed it just right. For '06 there is a new instrument cluster that I don't care for (speedo is too small), and the also revised the steering (it's slightly higher effort than '05, but less road feel than '05).

Yeah, the 350hp Hemi would be nice. I admit that the 4.6L really lacks low end power, but in all reality how often do you really need that extra power? You said yourself that you patrol a quiet area. Take away the Charger's looks and the Hemi, and I don't think anyone would consider it over a Crown Vic. The Charger really appeals to the boy in us all, not our practical adult side.

The Impala isn't even in the ball park for a regular patrol car IMHO. Too small and wrong wheel drive. Plus, that 3.9L is from the awful 60 degree V6 family, infamous for intake problems.

Go with an '05 or newer Crown Vic and you won't be disappointed.

I thought that you had a new 4.6L Ford engine ready to install in your Crown Vic - am I right? I thought that you posted a picture of it on this site long ago. Do you still have that engine? If so, then an abused Crown Vic might be your best low-cost option since you can put a new engine in it.

However, I fully understand the other motivations. Best wishes on your decision!

Dodge/Chrysler are great,the Ford is very reliable and safe in crash tests,chevy,no and handle strange,this is what Im told by a officer friend,,BL

The Charger by a mile. The added cool factor of shearly just seeing one of them might make a few people a little bit more friendly when you pull them over. Everybodys tired of old vicky.

Go for the Charger !!!

I agree the Hemi would be cool, but as you said, do you need it? Mileage is a big concern, and the Hemi just won't cut it.
The Chevy, blech.
The Ford, do you want to deal with a used vheicle for your DD?

All this hemi-lust! The power of the name!

Chrysler's marketing department has obviously scored big on against the sober, logical, cynical BITOG crowd. Dare I even say, you are hemi-whipped?

quote:

Originally posted by TooManyWheels:
All this hemi-lust! The power of the name!

Chrysler's marketing department has obviously scored big on against the sober, logical, cynical BITOG crowd. Dare I even say, you are hemi-whipped?

I called it was it is, so I am only semi-semi whipped.

Ford has done a lot of downright stupid stuff lately to torque me off, but I still say to go with the Crown Vic.

The Impala has a bad reputation among many police departments for durability and service problems. The interior is also cramped, say many cops. The Virginia State Police uses some, but their rule is to get rid of a cruiser after 100,000 miles anyway.

Chrysler has a similarly bad reputation with its front-drive vehicles. The rear-drive cars are relatively new developments, and the jury is still out on long-term drivetrain durability. Keep in mind that for a number of years virtually all Chrysler cars were front-drive, the Dodge Viper being the main exception. The front-drivers got a reputation for transmission problems and required the use of Chrysler's ATF fluid lest the fragile tranny detonate.

And according to a lot of complaints over the last several years, Chrysler and its dealers have become very adept at denying service claims, especially if a failure caused other damage. Would the rear-drive Charger drivetrain be any better? Who knows? And how will warranty or other service be? And will you even have a factory warranty once the dealer finds out that this car is being used for police duty? Often this kind of use would void warranties in the past.

Also, don't forget that the Charger hasn't been on the market long. We all know how many bugs might have to be worked out in a new design, even one derived from an existing platform as the Charger was from the 300/Magnum. You might have occasion to test that warranty!

IIRC, Ford honors its warranty as long as proper maintenance is done regardless of the vehicle application, barring major modification, racing, or abuse. In the past, Ford would even honor its new-car warranty with Lincoln Town Cars stretched by third-party limo builders, as long as the builder met certain conditions.

The Crown Vic is a solid car with a solid reputation. Though the styling hasn't been updated since 1997, it has had many improvements under the skin. Stick with it.

Going back a few years on the Dodges. Remember when all you seen for law enforcement was the Dodges? My brother in law purchased several of these for rental cars in the late '70s from the N.C. State surplus sales while his body shop did customer repairs. I purchased a '76 unmarked NC Highway Patrol Dodge from him that had the 440 c.i. engine, the quadrajet 4 barrel carb, posi traction rear, and Toyo tires. That, gentlemen, was a real car!! Fast, well built, great handling, and a fun vehicle to drive! Granted, Mama drove it most of the time and it only got 7 mpg around town. Plenty of interior room for the baby seats and I felt confident that anyone in this vehicle was reasonably safe should a collision occur. My point is that, I would think that the Dodge engineers would reflect back on previous years and use that knowledge to their advantage when they designed this new Charger. I really like the looks of it, that R/T is a real pleasure to look at. But, being the Ford feller I have been for years, I would have to say stick with the CVPI. My son in law is in law enforcement and he says the new CVPIs are vastly improved from previous years. North Carolina has a few Impalas, I see a few Tahoes, but, the majority of their vehicles are CVPIs. Now if ya want intimidation? Think about the new Mustang GT. I saw one down near the coast, jet black with gold lettering and the new high visability strobes in the interior! That officer was proud of his ride! Not one speck of dust was on it!! It looked purty all lit up too!!

I think the Chargers represent a NEGATIVE PR. JMO.

From what I've heard from the officers that have HAD to drive the Impalas, they absolutely hate them. Despise them. Most Police Departments that bought them parked them before 60K miles. They just won't hold up.

The Crown Vics seem to be the only choice out there for Police cars now. Sorry, but I ain't buying the Tahoe as a Police vehicle. I like GM Fullsize SUVs and trucks, but they aren't Police vehicles. I would drive their Ext Cab trucks for a Police car over a Tahoe.

I doubt the Chargers are going to make good Police cars. They are designed and built as a consumer grade car. A friend of mine builds police cars and built a car for the Secret Service about a year ago. It was a 300M Hemi. He said it was a complete piece of junk on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back