Help pick my new police car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's about time to retire the old 2000 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor. I'm looking at buying a new police car in the next couple of months and I'd love to have your input on the matter.

I pay for my police vehicle out of my own pocket - sorta - I actually receive a fixed allowance. (Being a fixed allowance, it obviously remains the same no matter which vehicle I drive.) I must pay for the vehicle, insurance, gas, maintenance, repairs, etc. In turn, my department installs all of the emergency equipment, lights, siren, radio, computer, radar, etc.

Here are the options:

Dodge Charger - 3.5L for about $23,700 or HEMI for about $25,700. Side air bags and lots of nice features for a police car (air ride, traction control, etc.). This car really looks awesome, especially in black (which is what my department uses). A local PD has a few of these cars and when I sat in one the other day, I really liked the fit and finish of the car. At 6'02" and 250 pounds, I felt very comfortable in it. Plus, did I say how badA$$ they look?! The 3.5L supposedly has plenty of power (zero to 60 times are almost identical to the Crown Vic Police Interceptors), it gets 2-3 MPG better fuel economy, it's cheaper to purchase by about $2000, and it would have slightly cheaper insurance rates. But, to be honest, I don't know if I could possibly pass up on the HEMI. It's just too darn tempting for a car-nut such as myself. Plus, I suppose it would have better resale down the road. (Note: I've never trusted Chrysler products, but I have to admit that the new Charger has captured my attention!)

Chevy Impala - 3.9L V-6 for about $23,750. Really a nice car with a lot of nice features, but it's FWD (sucks!) and it has terrible resale value - worse than most police cars. Plus, it's just kinda boring in a lot of ways. Still, you can't argue with the relative reliability and refinement of this car. Insurance rates, the best fuel economy of the lot (about 25MPG highway, real-world), and initial purchase price make this a relatively attractive competitor.

Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor - New for about $24,000 - or plenty of used 2-3 year-old models in excellent condition for about $12,000. I fell in love with Crown Vics when I first got one assigned to me in 1993. (In about 500,000 miles of patrol work, I've *NEVER* had a Crown Vic break down on me! Now *THAT'S* saying something!) They're not as flashy or powerful as some of the other police cars, but they're comfortable, ultra reliable, and very easy to maintain/work on. Plus, clean used Police Interceptors are plentiful on the market. The insurance is relatively cheap, too. For a police vehicle, that is! Major downsides include seriously outdated styling, low resale value, no side airbags available, and horrible fuel economy.

Well???

All thoughts, comments, and opinions are appreciated.

Keep in mind that I pay for this car on a fixed budget. The car allowance is pretty generous overall, but it's really not much more than a break-even proposition if I buy a new patrol car.

Also, I want a vehicle that presents my department in a positive image to the public - one reason why the Chargers and Impalas, with their newer body styles, are attractive options. The Chargers particularly bring favorable PR mojo. I truly respect my department and I likewise want citizens to have a positive impression of their local law enforcement officers.

[ September 12, 2006, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: AstroVic ]

IIRC, officers used to love chrysler police vehicles above all else...

why not give it a try?

Otherwise, perhaps lifecycle cost of the impala will bebest for bottom line and have some advantages... weigh that for sure. I don't see how fwd vs. rwd is an issue in Texas, traction-wise, but is there a reason to have one or the other?

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I don't see how fwd vs. rwd is an issue in Texas, traction-wise, but is there a reason to have one or the other?

Mainly, my main beef with FWD vehicles is the fact that I've become very accustomed to RWD vehicles and their handling/performance characteristics. Plus, RWD vehicles just seem to present easier maintenance than FWD vehicles. I usually perform all maintenance and repairs myself (to save $$$), so perhaps this would be a consideration.

Keep in mind, though, that I normally do not drive my patrol vehicles hard. In fact, I would characterize my patrol duties as relatively LIGHT. Nowadays, my patrol duties seldom involve pursuits or emergency driving. (I'm on day shift now!)

Plus for the Dodge Hemi:

If you ever have to do any pursuit driving the extra performance of the semi-hemi Dodge will shorten the chase and minimise risk to yourself and innocent bystanders.

You will feel cool and be in a good mood driving a Hemi. I prefer happy cops when I'm bending the speed limit a tad.

Minus for the Dodge Hemi:
You will have to change your BITOG user's name.

If you rarely do any pursuit, the Dodge V6 makes sense but won't be as much fun.

Chevy: Fugeddaboutit.

Ford: You know them inside out but they make you look like a stodgy old cop
grin.gif

What type and size police department has that type of patrol car arrangement? It makes sense on several levels.

I say go with the charger with the hemi. They seem to have worked out some problems with them and they make a lot of power and get good mpg due to killing half the cylinders at cruise. Nothing has the cool factor that a hemi does and add that to the new body style, it should hit all your goals.

I am a dyed in the wool mopar fan and the charger is the only thing in a long time I would even consider purchasing new.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
What type and size police department has that type of patrol car arrangement? It makes sense on several levels.

County law enforcement agency. We have about 33 deputies in all.

The car allowance deal is really quite nice in a lot of respects. Of course, it can have its serious drawbacks, too!

On the plus sides:

For the department, it gives them the benefit of a fixed cost for budgetary purposes. For the deputies, it gives us a built-in incentive to take extra special care of our vehicles, plus it gives us more flexibility in the type of car we want to drive. (Also, we can use them for side jobs and personal use, which is really nice!)

Where in Texas are you located? If you get the Hemi, I won't speed through your town... just messing...

The Impala... BOOO I've driven one and I despise it. I was happy to get back into my 1995 Grand Cherokee. Charger... HEMI... with MDS, it will be good for cruising... the 3.5L V6 isn't a slouch though.

The AWD Hemi Charger is my choice for the vehicle to replace my truck (some day). Part of me thinks the 300C would be a better choice (ride?), but the Charger has it in the looks department.

Too many ghetto-ized 300's running around already. About as attractive as the Escalade in that viewpoint (theft, insurance, notwithstanding).

The dark grey color would make me happy, with the cop wheels. Low-key is nice.

The AWD V6 would still get my vote over the Crown Vic: longer wheelbase, better suspension, etc. I like the Vic, but it's day is now gone.

Charger =
burnout.gif

(Guess we'll need BITOG window stickers and hope you'll treat them as well or better than the retired State Trooper decals, hey? Either way, we'll be watching out in [?] Houston area from hereon.

Looking forward to your experiences, and any anecdotes from other LEO's.

Of the three that yo have presented, the only question that I see is which engine to specify for the Chrysler. The Chevrolet has made a heck of a lot of improvements for the new Impala but I hate the blasted things. They work fairly well in snow/slush but that shouldn't concern you. As much as I detest all things with a blue oval on 'em, the Interceptor is working much better these days. But if you are on a fixed allowance, the abysmal fuel economy is unforgivable. They do work well as you have indicated, but the Chrysler seems more appealing. No personal experience with a Police package, just a test drive of a regular hemi-powered R/T and came away impressed with it.

Now for another idea - is the Tahoe out of the question? Chrev has put a lot of thought into the RWD Tahoe. The thing is supposed to work VERY well as an all-around PC. They are seeing HP duty as far as I know. One of those would be tempting to me. But I have only used the standard 4WD vehicle in policing so I cannot comment on the newer interceptor version. Something to think about, anyway.

As regards the engine choice in the Chrysler, the V8 might give you a re-sale edge later on perhaps. And it's true that the 3.5 litre V6 is no slouch. That engine would be more than enough for non-HP work in my opinion.

John.

Sounds like the most financially practical(ie, cheapest way to go) would be a used Police Package Crown Vic.

But if you're gonna buy new? A small town 11 miles away has a black Charger for a police car, with big gold badges on the front doors. No idea how practical it is- but it sure looks great!
grin.gif

While I'd probably prefer a Charger(or maybe a Magnum wagon) with the 3.5L V-6 for my personal use, for a cop car? You know you want a Hemi. Go ahead, admit it. We won't make fun of ya- everyone here likes cars!
burnout.gif

So, my vote: the Hemi-powered Charger. Think of the resale value in a few years! (Besides, we want to see some UOA's on that baby.
wink.gif
)
cheers.gif

Charger as it has a chassis that was designed within the past decade and a 5-spd auto. It also uses some higher quality German parts throughout the design. The Impala chassis is close to 20 years old and the Crown Vic is even older both backed up by lethargic 4-spd autos.

Go with the tried and true Vic!!!

TO do otherwise would be turning your back on a vehicle that has more than proven itself in the LE community!!

Be a man, resist the temptation to go with the crowd and try the "next coolest thing".

The Vic has stood the test of time and is a worthy candidate.

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Let me say a couple of things....

I'm definitely leaning toward the Charger. The one I sat in the other day just really felt NICE and comfortable (a *VERY* important feature when you spend 8-12 hours a day in the thing!). I'm still not 100% sold on them, but I think I'm going to take the police package 3.5L V6 and HEMI versions out for a long test drive this weekend. (A nearby dealership has the police packages in stock and is very accessible for test drives for law enforcement officers.)

I think the best decision based solely on finances would be to wait and find a really clean used Crown Vic. But I'm also fairly certain this will be the last police vehicle I purchase, so I'd kinda like to get a new car and maybe retire it in four to six years and use it as a personal "beater" car when I leave law enforcement.

FUEL ECONOMY is a *HUGE* issue for me and is the only thing forcing me to look at the V6 models. I spend over $600/month on fuel as it is, so cutting back by 1/3 would really make a difference. INSURANCE is also a pretty painful expense. Trust me, nobody wants to insure a police vehicle. I'm not sure how much cheaper the insurance would be from the HEMI to the V6 - I'll have to call my agent and look into that.

I really would like to get the HEMI Charger, but my practical side is telling me to be realistic and lean toward the 3.5L V6. Like I said before, taking into consideration factors such as my shift, my assigned area (low-crime, affluent area), my easy-going driving style (I'm not a rookie anymore!), the fact that I make very few traffic stops (1-3 boneheads per shift at the most), and the fact that I would probably drive the car a few hundred miles a week to school and back, it's hard to ignore fuel economy - even 2-3 MPG adds up pretty quickly when you're in the thing 7 days a week, 8-12 hours a day! With side jobs, overtime shifts, and travel back and forth to school, the car would spend more time running than not.

But, dang, that HEMI makes me drool with it's 340HP and 390 lb/ft. of torque!
wink.gif

Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming.
smile.gif

Get the hemi Charger.

Local op ed piece on news about the Hemi charger in County Police Dept. Officer commented it was the nicest cruiser he had been in, most comfortable and efficient.

I would opt for the Hemi since the 3.5 is a PITA to change stuff on like water pumps. Also doubt the 3.5 is that much better on gas versus hemi with MDS.

Might want to ask over here about experiences on LX platform.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/index.php?

I will note that the town PD where my parents live is trading their Crown Vics on Chargers. Black with white doors and a grille guard, they look ******. I don't know much about them.
The (very small) town PD where my office is went to Impalas (2) a from Crown Vics few years ago but I see they just replaced one with a new Crown Vic.
Performance-wise I'd say get the Charger, but check the low roofline for a big guy like you getting in and out of the front and for an uncooperative perp to get stuffed in the back.
The Chevy, well, most FWD cars tend to have transmission issues before 100k.
A Crown Vic would probably be the cheapest to maintain though.

I know you said that you don't engage in pursuits as often as in the past but what is the top end on each of these vehicles? My 1999 Vic topped at 120 with the 2000's coming around 140. I read something here locally that the Charger only had a top end of 118. 0-60 speed is nice of course but IMO, for a police vehicle, top end is important too as it cuts down on "chase" time when running down violators. Now, my main function was traffic enforcement, so your needs may be different. In my 8.5 year career, my Vic's never let me down either. Other than brakes and tires, it was relatively low maintenance for it's severe service duties. I think I got maybe 10-15 mpg though in mostly highway driving.

The post below mine reminded me of something too. The Missouri Hoghway Patrol sells their cars with 50K on the clock. They guarantee 50% life on tires and brakes should you be interesed in looking into that.

[ September 13, 2006, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: wantin150 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back