Top 10 nationally in study of porch piracy complaints

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Intriguing study of the top ten reported cities for porch pirates.

The biggest surprise of the survey was not the top ten cities, but the top state. Vermont was the highest rated porch pirates complaint state.

Of note, it might be reasonable to assume that residents of some cities don't complain about the thefts of their packages to police, as the police likely won't respond/accept the complaint. One might suspect chicagoay, San Francisco are two cities where residents might not want to waste their time contacting police on the thefts of their packages.

Here’s the full Top 10, and each citiy’s score:

1. St. Louis --100
  2. Jersey City, New Jersey -- 97.7
  3. Madison, Wisconsin -- 94.1
  4. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- 88.7
  5. Fremont, California -- 84.9
  6. Saint Paul, Minnesota -- 84.7
  7. Orlando -- 84
  8. Irvine, California -- 83.5
  9. Cincinnati -- 77.3
  10. Cleveland -- 75.2
Among states, Vermont ranked No. 1 for package thefts, scoring 100 Google search hits per 100,000 residents.

Of note, it might be reasonable to assume that residents of some cities don't complain about the thefts of their packages to police, as the police likely won't respond/accept the complaint. One might suspect chicagoay, San Francisco are two cities where residents might not want to waste their time contacting police on the thefts of their packages.
Exactly correct.
It is like this in Austin. If you are the victim of any kind of theft, burglary, vandalism, etc, it is a complete waste of time to call the police here, they will not respond, you are "on your own". It isn't the police department's fault, they are running with a deficit of over 400 officers. As a result, they are also doing ZERO traffic enforcement and the area roadways are a free-for-all! In the mean time the city fathers get on the local media proclaiming the statistic that crime is down overall and about how safe it is here. Nonsense. The only reason that the statistics show crime being down is that the crimes are going largely unreported.

Last edited:
Exactly correct.
It is like this in Austin. If you are the victim of any kind of theft, burglary, vandalism, etc, it is a complete waste of time to call the police here, they will not respond. It isn't the police department's fault, they are running with a deficit of over 400 officers. As a result, they are also doing ZERO traffic enforcement, the area roadways are a free-for-all! In the mean time the city fathers get on the local media trumpeting statistics about how safe it is here and that crime is down overall. Nonsense. The only reason that the statistics show crime being down is that the crimes are going largely unreported.

You're so close to figure it out. Let me help you along:

Hiring more police doesn't stop crime.

400 more police officers on the payroll won't prevent someone from stealing a package off your porch and won't get your Amazon delivery back.

We had 2 guys in a truck doing that in my neighborhood. Caught them red handed. One ran back to the truck as the other sped off. Got the license plate and reported it to the police. But, nothing will happen. I put it on our Community's social media page and it turns out they got several people.

With the holidays coming up, be careful folks. These cockroaches will be out in droves.

400 more police officers on the payroll won't prevent someone from stealing a package off your porch and won't get your Amazon delivery back.
But, if the police department wasn't so understaffed they could respond to these crimes and the statistics would reflect the reality of the situation we are in.

Last edited:

You too are so close!

Appointing a DA that prosecutes actual crime DOES help to stop crime. When there are no consequences, theres more crime.

A study of the success of Giuliani in NYC and other cities that copied his strategy clearly invalidate your erroneous assumptions.

The police measure that most consistently reduces crime is the arrest rate... Felony arrest rates (except for motor vehicle thefts) rose 50 to 70 percent in the 1990s. When arrests of burglars increased 10 percent, the number of burglaries fell 2.7 to 3.2 percent. When the arrest rate of robbers rose 10 percent, the number of robberies fell 5.7 to 5.9 percent.

Last edited:
A study of the success of Giuliani in NYC and other cities that copied his strategy clearly invalidate your erroneous assumptions.

The police measure that most consistently reduces crime is the arrest rate... Felony arrest rates (except for motor vehicle thefts) rose 50 to 70 percent in the 1990s. When arrests of burglars increased 10 percent, the number of burglaries fell 2.7 to 3.2 percent. When the arrest rate of robbers rose 10 percent, the number of robberies fell 5.7 to 5.9 percent.

Was this during the time of "stop and frisk"?

Also correct.
Case in point... In April of this year the Texas Governor sent 200 Texas DPS Troopers to Austin in response to the huge increase in crime. In the first week that they were here, in areas where DPS officers were specifically deployed due to a high volume of calls for assistance, Austin PD says it recorded a 58% reduction in violent crime and an 86% reduction in property crime. Furthermore, police response times were reduced by an average of 18% city wide. Law enforcement presence DOES matter!

Last edited:

911: What's your emergency?

Caller: Somebody stole my amazon package off my porch!

911: Did you get a description?

Caller: No. I was at *insert whatever here* where I was unable to get my package right after it was dropped off and unable to see whoever took it. My ring doorbell didn't get any notable description or their license plates.

*end of conversation*

I would disagree to some level.

Policing is a multi-faceted task. One integral part is that of patrolling. If the staffing levels are not high enough, then officers are always "on a call" (stationary at one location, often for a long time if the crime is significant) and cannot be seen randomly patrolling higher crime areas.

It has been shown many times in LE study data that higher density of officers on the street does push crime rates down. Admittedly it does not eliminate crime, but it reduces crime in hard-hit areas, when the officer presence is greater.

Some may argue that hiring more officers hasn't helped in their area, and that may well be true. But I would say that hiring "more" isn't a well defined statistic. How many more does "more" represent? In the example above, if 400 hundred were hired, how many also retired in that same year?

Actual example in fact; this is data from the last eight years in for IMPD (Indianapolis Metro PD). In Indianapolis there is data to show that 800 officers have been hired since the current Mayor took office 8 years ago. But the mayoral challenger in the race brought up the fact that 900 have retired/quit. So the net effect is a loss of officers on the street. My point isn't one of politics; it's that facts can be misleading when you only look at parts of the situation, and not the situation in its totality.

Most simply put: If hiring "X" LEOs didn't reduce crime in an area, then the simple reality is that "X" wasn't a large enough number to have the desired effect. Now, there may be a financial limit to what any agency can afford to hire; they are limited by funds appropriated to them by a governing entity. Or, maybe the situation at that agency is unattractive and the rate of pay per officer isn't sufficient to retain them.

The assertion that hiring more officers would never fix a problem is a problematic and misleading statement. There is almost always a quantity of resources that would fix most any problem, IF AND ONLY IF the allocation of resources is supported to a level which actually makes a difference. In the quoted example above, those "400 officers" may be a very large improvement to a department which had 400 to start with (doubling their street presence). It may be a pittance to a department that has over one thousand, and also has hundreds quit/retire each year.

The rational understanding of this topic is broader than the LEO application... Even if we were talking about other topics:
- spilled beverages on a countertop; a larger spill is more easily mitigated with more paper towels, you need enough to fully clean up the mess
- vegetables in a garden during a drought need more water; if the water increase is insufficient, they may still die off. The only way to secure a decent harvest is to add enough water that the veggies produce an output to the desired level
- buying a growing teen new shoes once a year may not keep up with the growth rate; they may need new shoes twice a year. The child needs "more" than one set of new shoes in a year's time.
- etc .....

My point is that adding resources is a statement of ambiguity; it does not address a specific desired outcome.

The question isn't "did you add cops to the beat"; the question is "did you add enough cops to the beat to get the desired result"? If the answer is no, then you really should not be holding up the "facts" as evidence of failure. The failure was ensured when the resourced element was left short.

Sooooooo ...... how does this circle back to the porch pirate topic?
If enough officers are added to the situation, then the likely effect will be a reduction of thefts. Having more police to freely roam (increasing patrol density) most certainly has been proven time and time again to reduce crime in targeted areas.

Last edited:
The question isn't "did you add cops to the beat"; the question is "did you add enough cops to the beat to get the desired result"? If the answer is no, then you really should not be holding up the "facts" as evidence of failure. The failure was ensured when the resourced element was left short.
Sooooooo ...... how does this circle back to the porch pirate topic?
If enough officers are added to the situation, then the likely effect will be a reduction of thefts. Having more police to freely roam (increasing patrol density) most certainly has been proven time and time again to reduce crime in targeted areas.
Yep, and we have definitive proof of that here in Austin. Adding 200 Texas DPS Troopers to Austin's highest crime areas resulting in an 86% decrease in property crimes is proof of this. Property crimes include porch pirate thefts.

Interesting to see Irvine, CA on the list. It is consistently rated among the top 5 safest cities in the US with regards to crime.
It is also a fairly affluent city and I assume a great many working people do a lot of online shopping and aren't home when their packages are delivered. However it is in close proximity to a couple of other cities in Orange County that are cesspools. It's pretty easy to figure out where the porch pirates are coming from and I'll bet it's not from Irvine proper.

Im very knowledgeable with Giuliani during his term as mayor in NYC. I should say I was at the time. He truly turned NYC into Disneyland.
Besides police, the police knew he had their back.
His main thrust was quality of life issues. The law was enforced with every law on the books. Lottering, window washers on street corners hookers, sex shops on 42nd street etc.
No excuses for him, it was about enforcing the law. Before him, if you owned a retail store and were open at night, even in affluent communities, it wasnt rare to have a gun pointed right at your face while they emptied the cash register. Im not saying common but family members and myself have. Getting calls in the middle of the night over break-in's once time someone tunneled under the front window by removing steel porcelain sheets to avoid the security system *LOL*

A gun in your face? It's something you never forget, Giuliani it became a very rare thing once in a decade or more.
someone called the police over a shop lifter, guess what? they would come to the place of business. Now no longer will respond for small stuff even in small towns in other states.

As far as the porch piracy thing, well, something is left of value outside a home, it's very tempting and easy money for thieves.
You didnt hear about this not to long ago because only in the last decade has the Internet replaced much shopping.

911: What's your emergency?

Caller: Somebody stole my amazon package off my porch!

911: Did you get a description?

Caller: No. I was at *insert whatever here* where I was unable to get my package right after it was dropped off and unable to see whoever took it. My ring doorbell didn't get any notable description or their license plates.

*end of conversation*
Except you dont call 911 you call the local police number. A stolen package isnt a 911 emergency.. unless you are having a heart attack because someone stole your *insert high priced package here)

Intriguing study of the top ten reported cities for porch pirates.

The biggest surprise of the survey was not the top ten cities, but the top state. Vermont was the highest rated porch pirates complaint state.

Here’s the full Top 10, and each citiy’s score:

1. St. Louis --100
  2. Jersey City, New Jersey -- 97.7
  3. Madison, Wisconsin -- 94.1
  4. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- 88.7
  5. Fremont, California -- 84.9
  6. Saint Paul, Minnesota -- 84.7
  7. Orlando -- 84
  8. Irvine, California -- 83.5
  9. Cincinnati -- 77.3
  10. Cleveland -- 75.2
Among states, Vermont ranked No. 1 for package thefts, scoring 100 Google search hits per 100,000 residents.

One might suspect? Sheer speculation?

Exactly correct.
It is like this in Austin. If you are the victim of any kind of theft, burglary, vandalism, etc, it is a complete waste of time to call the police here, they will not respond, you are "on your own". It isn't the police department's fault, they are running with a deficit of over 400 officers. As a result, they are also doing ZERO traffic enforcement and the area roadways are a free-for-all! In the mean time the city fathers get on the local media proclaiming the statistic that crime is down overall and about how safe it is here. Nonsense. The only reason that the statistics show crime being down is that the crimes are going largely unreported.
100% spot on.

The reduction in traffic enforcement is particularly noticeable.

Back