Top 10 nationally in study of porch piracy complaints

We suspect we've had mail stolen out of our basic mailbox at the street.

We've never had a porch pirate, tho. I've let packages sit on the front porch for about a week at times (see my post about Amazon delivery times / when I don't care when it's delivered ... )

The difference? Our mailbox is at the road, about 325' from our house. Heck, our front porch is about 60' from the driveway. No criminal looking for a quick grab with the possibility of 99%+ success rate is going to venture down 300'+ of driveway, not knowing the status of anyone being home, much less in the yard or edge of the woods. Heck, the Amazon drivers look scared most of the time coming down the driveway. Acreage has it's advantages

Reading the replies in this thread- maybe the headline should have read "the top ten cities in the US law enforcement will respond and accept a complaint for theft under $500."

No criminal looking for a quick grab with the possibility of 99%+ success rate is going to venture down 300'+ of driveway

No criminal looking for a quick grab is going to a place where there might be 20 houses per MILE, regardless of how far they are from the road. Not when there are places where there are 20 houses in 200 feet.

Have the packages stay with the carrier and pick them up at their fixed location. Not as handy, but you get what you ordered and if everyone does it, you starve or redirect the pirates to easier pickin's. Here in Wyoming there are 600,000 people and 7,734,902 firearms. Home invasions, carjacking, porch piracy are a relatively sure method of suicide or some degree of lead poisoning.

Exactly correct.
It is like this in Austin. If you are the victim of any kind of theft, burglary, vandalism, etc, it is a complete waste of time to call the police here, they will not respond, you are "on your own". It isn't the police department's fault, they are running with a deficit of over 400 officers. As a result, they are also doing ZERO traffic enforcement and the area roadways are a free-for-all! In the mean time the city fathers get on the local media proclaiming the statistic that crime is down overall and about how safe it is here. Nonsense. The only reason that the statistics show crime being down is that the crimes are going largely unreported.
Tell the group why Austin has a deficit of 400 officers.

Have the packages stay with the carrier and pick them up at their fixed location. Not as handy but you get what you ordered and if everyone does it you starve or redirect the pirates to easier pickin's.
How about zero tolerance for theft?

I sat for a day in a court room in Vernon Parish, Louisiana. Every theft conviction in this Parish, regardless of dollar amount, resulted in jail time. I man stole his neighbors rake and his sentence was three days in jail.

Tell the group why Austin has a deficit of 400 officers.
I can't without violating forum rules.
You and I both know why this happened, and I suspect that almost everyone else in here can figure it out for themselves. In the mean time our officer deficit is growing larger by the week due to attrition. To be fair, this is happening in virtually every other large city in the US, and the criminals are running wild as a result. Now they aren't even waiting for the packages to be delivered, they are mob-robbing them right off of the delivery trucks.
I don't know why anyone would want to be a LEO now days.

Last edited:
You and I both know why this happened, and I suspect that almost everyone else in here can figure it out for themselves. In the mean time our officer deficit is growing larger by the week due to attrition. To be fair, this is happening in virtually every other large city in the US, and the criminals are running wild as a result. Now they aren't even waiting for the packages to be delivered, they are mob-robbing them right off of the delivery trucks.
I can say something without violating rules - Austin didn't have enough officers BEFORE the events of 2020 happened. Neighborhood groups I was once involved with before moving out the city estimate that we were 250-300 officers short back in the mid 10s. But anyway.

I can tell the group why Austin, Seattle, etc have a deficit of Officers. Yes, the climate for being a "local" police officer is extremely challenging. But American is full of young men and woman who are will to raise their right hand, take the oath, and serve. Regardless of the climate. Of note, it is reported a Seattle Police Officer can make $200k USD (with overtime) annually. Very tough job, lots of overtime and undesriable hours, but decent compensation.

The deficit of officers in large cities like Austin and Seattle is incompetent recruiting. Seattle, short well over 600 officers has a multi-million dollar annual police officer recruiting budget. Try calling the recruiting office when you get home from work tonight- do you think anyone will answer? Try calling the recruiting department on Saturday morning- think anyone will answer? When a department is short over 600 police officers- you recruit nights and weekends until the deficit is no longer.

I can say something without violating rules - Austin didn't have enough officers BEFORE the events of 2020 happened. Neighborhood groups I was once involved with before moving out the city estimate that we were 250-300 officers short back in the mid 10s. But anyway.
I agree.
The numbers that that are giving us now are the shortage based on the "re-imagined" police department staffing levels that they are using after 2020 riots. In reality we are WAY over a 400 officer deficit IMO, probably closer to 800 short. This is how many more officers we need to get the crime and traffic enforcement problems minimally under control.

Last edited:
How about zero tolerance for theft?

I sat for a day in a court room in Vernon Parish, Louisiana. Every theft conviction in this Parish, regardless of dollar amount, resulted in jail time. I man stole his neighbors rake and his sentence was three days in jail.
Is that because they are headed for the Lawrenceville Correctional Center? Money to be made on private prisons.

Austin PD came out today and announced that auto thefts are up by 32% citywide this year and 104% in Charlie sector. IMO this is a good indicator of the increase in crime in general since virtually 100% of auto thefts are reported. From what I am hearing, the unreported crimes are tracking about the same percentage increases. The criminals are running wild!

Austin PD came out today and announced that auto thefts are up by 32% citywide this year and 104% in Charlie sector. IMO this is a good indicator of the increase in crime in general since virtually 100% of auto thefts are reported. From what I am hearing, the unreported crimes are tracking about the same percentage increases. The criminals are running wild!
Texas is adjacent to Mexico......

BTW-GON is wrong. There is a shortage of Police Officers nation-wide. Recruiting has little to do with it. We are talking a break down of society and justice on many levels. Who in their right mind would want to shovel sand against the tide?

I can tell the group why Austin, Seattle, etc have a deficit of Officers. Yes, the climate for being a "local" police officer is extremely challenging. But American is full of young men and woman who are will to raise their right hand, take the oath, and serve. Regardless of the climate. Of note, it is reported a Seattle Police Officer can make $200k USD (with overtime) annually. Very tough job, lots of overtime and undesriable hours, but decent compensation.

The deficit of officers in large cities like Austin and Seattle is incompetent recruiting. Seattle, short well over 600 officers has a multi-million dollar annual police officer recruiting budget. Try calling the recruiting office when you get home from work tonight- do you think anyone will answer? Try calling the recruiting department on Saturday morning- think anyone will answer? When a department is short over 600 police officers- you recruit nights and weekends until the deficit is no longer.

Normally I agree with you on most things, GON, but not this time!

The first bolded comment, if true, would negate any debate about a deficit of officers existing anywhere in the U.S. The reality is, at least in this area, police recruit classes since 2020 have seen a consistent decline of about 60% across the board. In some instances classes have been canceled owing to not having the minimum number of recruits as required by certification standards.

Conversely, the fire academies have always had full recruit classes since before 2020.

And it’s not because the police recruiters aren’t answering the phone on nights and weekends.

The second bolded comment; who wants a “decent salary” working a very tough job that involves lots of overtime and undesirable hours? Seriously?
While having to dodge bricks, bottles, ball bats, etc.?

Third bolded comment; LOL!

That sounds like the saying “the beatings will continue until morale improves…..”

You have to have a pool of qualified candidates to begin with. Forget passing the assessment tests and successfully getting through the formal training process. You’ve got to get them in the front door, first. And more importantly, they have to want to be there and do the work you described above.

And it doesn’t involve whipping the recruiters until they produce a quota of bodies.

You first have to recognize why hundreds of officers either quit or retired as soon as they were eligible, thus creating the deficit.

Thrashing the recruiters is akin to giving CPR to someone who is bleeding out due to gunshot wounds to major organs.

Normally I agree with you on most things, GON, but not this time!

The first bolded comment, if true, would negate any debate about a deficit of officers existing anywhere in the U.S. The reality is, at least in this area, police recruit classes since 2020 have seen a consistent decline of about 60% across the board. In some instances classes have been canceled owing to not having the minimum number of recruits as required by certification standards.

Conversely, the fire academies have always had full recruit classes since before 2020.

And it’s not because the police recruiters aren’t answering the phone on nights and weekends.

The second bolded comment; who wants a “decent salary” working a very tough job that involves lots of overtime and undesirable hours? Seriously?
While having to dodge bricks, bottles, ball bats, etc.?

Third bolded comment; LOL!

That sounds like the saying “the beatings will continue until morale improves…..”

You have to have a pool of qualified candidates to begin with. Forget passing the assessment tests and successfully getting through the formal training process. You’ve got to get them in the front door, first. And more importantly, they have to want to be there and do the work you described above.

And it doesn’t involve whipping the recruiters until they produce a quota of bodies.

You first have to recognize why hundreds of officers either quit or retired as soon as they were eligible, thus creating the deficit.

Thrashing the recruiters is akin to giving CPR to someone who is bleeding out due to gunshot wounds to major organs.
DKRYAN, thanks for a thorough, well written reply.

In theory almost all you posted is not debatable. In reality, I have many real life examples that defy logic, but proved unquestionable recruiting success in the most challenging environments. Below please find two of the real life examples.

In 2005, The US Army was failing at achieve its officer recruiting mission (second lieutenants). Not only was the US Army missing its mission, but the DoD increased the Army’s 2LT mission because of OIF/OEF. The (now defunct) US Army Accessions Command had no choice but to significantly raise officer recruiting missions in urban areas. Urban areas almost never made mission, and the US Army made up the shortages in rural areas, and areas in the Southern US.

A top three urban area had not made their 2LT Army Officer mission in over two decades, and Accessions command increased this urban area mission by 40 percent. This urban area couldn’t make mission during peacetime, how can they make mission during wartime- an increased mission.

The right recruiting plan was executed. The urban program met and exceeded its 2LT mission. The program was so successful the program was broken into three. Some of the things that changed- the recruiting officer worked from 0700-1500. His hours were changed to 1200-2200. This not only allowed young men and woman get a “live” voice when they called after coming home from school, but also allowed prospects in the western US get a live voice when they called. One often gets one shot at a prospect- an unanswered phone may be the only time the prospect will call.

The US Army has 32 recruiting battalions across the US. On a MACRO level, US Army recruiting BN CDRs are qualified, but selected well after MTOE and TDA BN commands are filled. Essentially, recruiting BN CDRs are often like NFL draft picks. Highly qualified, and drafted in later rounds- but drafted. It is important to note some recruiting Bn CDRs are the very best in their class- but on a MACRO level are often later drafted than to their deployable BN CDR counterparts.

One US Army recruiting BN finished in the bottom three of the 32 recruiting battalions for decades. Dozens of BN CDRs of decades were not able to increase the ability for the BN to make its enlistment mission. For a change, the Army put a superstar in as its BN CDR.

The results were mind blowing. In under eight months, that bottom 32 BN (often 31 of 32 or 32 of 32) rose to the number two recruiting BN in the US Army. It shows the difference a single leader can make. The environment for military service didn’t change in the region, the leader making a plan, and executing the plan was the difference.

Finally, every day I enjoy going to the Facebook Military Enlistment Processing Centers (MEPS) website, and seeing pictures and videos of young men and women volunteering to serve their country and be part of something bigger them themselves. These awesome young men rarely look like GI Joe. But when they complete Basic Training- they all look like GI Joe, in body and in mind. If you have some time, I encourage you to go to Facebook and search MEPS and view the young men and woman taking the oath

“solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

And on a funny note, my Son who is a junior enlisted Soldier in the US Army ships to Korea tonight. He takes a commercial aircraft to Seattle (SEA) airport, and then transfers to a chartered and/ or military aircraft. I will be able to see him tonight when he exits the commercial aircraft. Very happy to see him serve his country. Had a recruiter from AUS or SEA PD found him- maybe he would be working in one of those departments.

The military is now accepting candidates up to 42 years old. I think the marijuana disqualifying and high school graduate threshold are gone too. In today's economy anybody with a pulse and a scintilla of integrity and self starting enthusiasm can get a decent starting job that will work into a solid income/benefits career. The armed forces are available to the least qualified as a safety parachute it seems. As a vet myself I support these new enlistees and hope they utilize the training and discipline of their service as a stepping stone to the American dream.

Back