Crown Victoria named 'best cop car of all time'

CVs are great dinosaurs, but give me a Taurus or Explorer P.I. for a daily, especially if I'm paying for the gas and it snows much in the winter. Much quieter, smoother and faster.
I never saw any police in NH have issues with Crown Vic’s nor even current RWD Chargers . They install winter wheels…

I remember seeing one (somewhat) local where there was an officer standing next to a Crown Vic. I asked how old it was. He said that they're going to hold onto it as long as they can since they're more or less irreplaceable, although I suppose there are used ones.

I do remember a Mobil 1 commercial where someone was buying up used police Crown Vics and turning them into taxis. The claim was that he trusted them if they were using Mobil 1. However, some of our local taxi rules had age limits for taxis. San Francisco had a requirement that they can't be more than 9 model years old and then they have to be retired from that service. The Crown Vic used to be the main taxi in San Francisco but they slowly went away in favor of Priuses and Escape Hybrids. They got rid of that requirement (with a requirement for inspections every six months), but I haven't seen a Crown Vic taxi there since I suppose they don't want to bring in used vehicles. I have seen Crown Vics used in smaller communities where they might not have extensive taxi fleets.

I do love the panther platform, but the Chevy Caprice was an awesome cop car... I might even say - better - than the Crown Vic?
View attachment 179302
Crown Vics were great for the times, but IMO overrated today. I like them, but they weren't anything all that special in my experience. Once GM abandoned the BOF category, Ford had the market to itself for the most part. The Caprice was great for its time too, especially the LT1s. They were much lamented when they went out of production.

From those in the know it seems all preferred the CV over all others afterwards and having driven one I agree in the handling and ease of repair/reliability

I still say that until you have the CHP car below come up behind you then you don't know what is intimidating with it's 440-4V. I have had that privilege.

4889285689_92ac40de10_b.jpg

From those in the know it seems all preferred the CV over all others afterwards and having driven one I agree in the handling and ease of repair/reliability

I still say that until you have the CHP car below come up behind you then you don't know what is intimidating with it's 440-4V. I have had that privilege.

View attachment 179499
Texas DPS Interceptors also had the 440 Magnums …

Great topic. Sorry, thread drift; early 90s, I was THIS close to owning a freshly retired Virginia State Police Mustang. It was worn, but a peach; 5.0, stripped by todays standards; trunk slammer (sedan), manual trans etc…. I was just a few $k short, but at that time; $3k might as well been $33k… sigh

The panthers are starting to get expensive with nice examples fading away. I'm seeing junk ones locally go for 3k. But even then they're worth it compared to the junk around it at the buy here pay here.

I regret not buying an excursion in 2011 for only 5500 that was near pristine with the 7.3 and 91k miles. Still kicking myself over it, that truck's easily 3x more now.

Back