LA Sheriff has 429 Ford Crown Victorias in Service...

I’ve been in law enforcement 30 years. Mainly driven Crown Vics but also was assigned an Impala once (one word: pathetic) and my current agency uses only the Explorers for patrol.

I loved the room inside and the trunk of the CV. I knew its days were numbered when circa 2006 I was running moving radar on a flat, straight road. The cruiser was no more than two years old. A soccer mom in a minivan came at me doing only a little over 50 in the 35 zone. I could whip a CV around in a single-motion u-turn on any road, so I didn’t lose much time in reversing direction. But boy did that CV seem to take forever to catch up with the minivan. That’s the moment I started to realize why nearby agencies were phasing them out.

The Explorer is all I know today; my retirement gig is a campus cop and there’s no other choice except for the supervisors’ Tahoe. The Explorers honestly aren’t terrible but lack knee/leg room compared to the CV, and it seems ours eat front end and suspension components on the crappy roads we have. The seat padding and adjustment also wear out much faster than the CV did. Each Explorer in service certainly has a personality of what it “decides” to make wrong repeatedly. Haven’t seen that in any fleet before— it’s almost as if the dealership assigns certain cars to certain mechanics who can never completely solve a problem.

More 428, 429, and 460 PI trivia. We don’t want this info lost. :D

1A9230F7-6446-4ADB-908D-4B3F76E935AE.jpeg
6E343584-E089-42C2-8411-EF874973C5FC.jpeg

My friend loved the CV over the Caprice. The Ford's are better built and are easier to replace parts from wrecks/pit maneuver. As a State Trooper he had some great stories! Went back to Marines; got tired of it after awhile. I think those Ford's are ugly, but it's definitely a workhorse.
I wish they had kept making it when the Ls engine came out. The lt1 that came in them with the opti spark and cam driven water pump were a pain to work on in comparison.

I wish they had kept making it when the Ls engine came out. The lt1 that came in them with the opti spark and cam driven water pump were a pain to work on in comparison.

LT1 & L99 in the B & D-bodies weren't difficult to work on unless they had heavy duty cooling (Mechanical cooling fan).

I've heard the opposite from LEO's.....The 9C1 Caprice would certainly out accelerate a PI Crown Victoria.

LT1 & L99 in the B & D-bodies weren't difficult to work on unless they had heavy duty cooling (Mechanical cooling fan).

I've heard the opposite from LEO's.....The 9C1 Caprice would certainly out accelerate a PI Crown Victoria.
I imagine in comparison to the average car now they weren't bad to work on, but in comparison to my Silverado with the ls engine or my 83 caprice with the small block and AC deleted they were.

They were better for power than the CV, so probably personal preference. I'd prefer the caprice because I love GM b bodies but I'd be happy with a CV too.

Yeah good question. Hours are probably in the mind boggling range. Doubt they track hours though.

Back