Have you driven a Ford lately?

My favorite is the bolts holding the power steering rack motor will corrode and allow the motor to disconnect from the steering rack. When this happens the driver has no way to steer the car and basically will crash. So even though the steering shaft is still intact it will just turn free.
I don't think it works that way -- even without the motor there is still a direct connection from the steering shaft to the rack, should still give (stiff) manual steering capability.

Agreed that recent Fords are disappointing. I'd go for a Fusion Hybrid, but I've read about too many transmission bearing failures.

sorry PW, post 128. Poor data set for me to do much w/. I'd need to know his attention to maintenance during that time.
Read the last line of post #128: "This truck is 100% dealer-maintained and he has followed every maintenance item in the book to a T. This truck does no towing and most 50/50 in town to highway miles."

The fed gov has made the manufactures jump through CAFE hoops. We are seeing the pains of the nonsense. How in the world could you screw up a diesel engine? Fed gov and epa says hold my beer. The major auto makers have been forced to make changes the market may have never demanded. The result, we have some incredible vehicles on the road today. They are capable of lasting longer and providing more creature comforts than ever before. Lots of good things, but a lack of ease of repairable systems, and the global market push that makes entire systems and assemblies made by others prior to final assembly. Problems prop up and the effects of cutting corners are absolutely disastrous.

So what do we really need in a vehicle? I would be willing (gladly) to give up all the tech that each of the manufacturers say is necessary. Give me a well tuned engine with a solid transmission, power steering, power disc brakes, air conditioning, and a simple radio and let it go at that. Crash standards with air bags? sure. but do we need all the other stuff? I've driven Ford's almost daily since 1995. I have also experienced problems with the brand, but nothing major other than a AOD transmission and the wonderful two piece spark plug design.

My biggest gripe for any of the manufacturers is that you can not easily work on the platform. Some of the maintenance items are crazy stupid to get to for routine maintenance. Some of the stuff you need to do you can't even see while doing it. The blend door in an F150, come on man! Designs need to be considered that improve the ability of a person to work on their vehicle. You have to take a fuel tank out to change a fuel pump? Even simple stuff, you don't need to mount a oil filter any way but upside down so you don't pour oil all over the place. A pan plug that doesn't pour oil all over a cross member or anti roll bar. A simple process to replace coolant.

Read the last line of post #128: "This truck is 100% dealer-maintained and he has followed every maintenance item in the book to a T. This truck does no towing and most 50/50 in town to highway miles."
nice, around 20 posts ago'n I'm responding toa notification that brought me offa fav (ford i6 motors '60/'96) site.
I must B developin altzhimers as I'm over 70 y/o and that 15 ago wuz just yesturdee.
OK sorry. I 'take back' ZZ's too~

No, and never will.
I'm a CAR guy. I'll never do an SUV/CUV and I want a manual.
It will be the used market only going forward obviously from the current market and the food in it killing actual choices.
None of the domestics make a single thing I would cast a second glance at.
Even the foreign makes that had small cars no longer do either.

Let them eat their electric cake.

Back