Another GR86 blown and warranty denied

That thing was making bad noises for a while and he was still trying to drive it around the track. Not at speed mind, but still. Clutch in and get off the track. Went from 'big repair' to 'now it needs to be replaced'.

"I thought it was a fender liner"... yeaok

And...I'm not saying lie to the dealer, but volunteering all that info along with 'I have video'...yea they're going to deny that right off the rip.

I also wouldn't take a 'known fragile' car on the track like that without first having someone look into the pan to see if the RTV is floating around down there, or just pulling the pan and having it resealed.

On the other hand, the old adage of 'don't take a car to the track that you're not willing to walk away from' rings true. If you can afford to/don't want to blow it up, crash it, scratch it, or destroy it, don't take it to the track.

This is why I so badly miss my 91 Miata. You could pound on that thing for days on end and it didn't care. It wasn't the fastest thing, but those cars were built to run forever and be fun while doing it.

Last edited:
"Manufacturer and dealership deny due to track abuse".

*This was a warmup lap.
*Prior to blowing, I heard nothing from that engine that would concern me.
*He was not flogging the car.
*At 6:10, on a reasonable downshift is when the engine let's go and he tries to baby it back around the track.

This is terrible for the guy and I feel for him. Hopefully Toyota will step up because I see idiots driver harder on public streets.

One one hand, yeah he should have definitely gotten off the track at the first sign of abnormal noise. But having been in a car with a full helmet on, it’s not always the easiest thing to hear.

On the other, Toyota needs to knock off this whole “warranty denial because track use” thing if they’re going to A. Explicitly COVER track use on GR branded vehicles elsewhere in the world and B. Sell the friggin things with a free track day.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the old adage of 'don't take a car to the track that you're not willing to walk away from' rings true. If you can afford to/don't want to blow it up, crash it, scratch it, or destroy it, don't take it to the track.

This!!

That thing was making bad noises for a while and he was still trying to drive it around the track. Not at speed mind, but still. Clutch in and get off the track. Went from 'big repair' to 'now it needs to be replaced'.
Agreed, why did he not pull over and off the track immediately. Also, after he stops you see the other cars slow down and bunch up. I am wondering if he trailed an oil slick behind him. You can hear him express his frustration maybe after he looked up in the rear view mirror and saw liquid staining on the track. Guessing he spun a rod bearing and then pushed it through the block.

Agreed, why did he not pull over and off the track immediately. Also, after he stops you see the other cars slow down and bunch up. I am wondering if he trailed an oil slick behind him. You can hear him express his frustration maybe after he looked up in the rear view mirror and saw liquid staining on the track. Guessing he spun a rod bearing and then pushed it through the block.
Because who thinks a new car would have catastrophic engine damage?

He should have towed it to the dealer and told them it doesn't run. Why he would tell then he was on track and show them this video is beyond me.

This!!
This is a stupid take. Any unmodified car should be able to handle itself.

Start modifying and it's a different story.

Back