Is there a consensus on using non OEM Honda HCF-2?

Hey BITOG family, I hope y'all are doing well. I've spent about a week or so doing some research on the matter but I can't seem to find a consensus on the matter. I'm about to hit 150k on my 2013 Accord Sport and I am getting ready to drain and fill the CVT... I know HCF-2 is what Honda is recommending but I refuse to believe that other alternatives out there aren't as good if not better.

The oil is gonna cost me like $70 from the stealership + the commute but I'm thinking of just getting the Castrol CVT oil off Amazon for like $25.

Share your wisdom with me.

Do what you like but for the CVT and the rear dif if you have AWD OEM is all I use... Its not like you are changing the fluid every year or less...I even use OEM Honda antifreeze too...again it is not like you are changing it often...To me it is cheap insurance on these areas that I mentioned...Just my opinion,,,Also have you looked online also...there are a few places that have good prices on OEM Honda parts and fluids...

The only one that I used that felt just as good is the Aisin ATF. Tried valvoline, it was pretty bad. I stick to using the honda fluid. Its not that expensive. Besides...it shouldn't cost more than 100-120$ at a shop for a drain/fill. Otherwise you are being royally screwed.

Why not use amazon....or the internet in general...its cheap

Reactions: hrv
Several previous threads on the subject which may help you to reach a consensus. Some contain first-hand experience with an aftermarket fluid:

Several previous threads on the subject which may help you to reach a consensus. Some contain first-hand experience with an aftermarket fluid:

happy reading...

Honda's HCF-2 fluid is designed to be exactly what their CVT needs.

Anything aftermarket fluid that just happens to cover HCF-2 applications may have properties and additives that may (or may not) adversely affect the CVT in the long run. Aftermarket does not always mean better. It usually just means cheaper and good enough.

That said, I'd love to find something better for the CVT in my '15 Accord Sport. It only has 76k miles and is showing signs of slipping and general age and wear. The fluid has been changed with genuine HCF-2 at 25k and 50k, and I'm doing a third service this weekend. I considered Valvoline's CVT fluid but decided I didn't want to experiment with it at the point just to save a few bucks. $80 for four quarts of Honda fluid is a bit steep.

I think the days of a high-quality universal fluid like MaxLife ATF for Dexron III applications are over. For CVTs at least.

There is nothing wrong with using aftermarket CVT fluid on your Honda. However, some of them are red in color, which some people may find off-putting, but there is nothing wrong with using red CVT fluid.

Just so you know, the OE Honda HCF-2 is amber in color, like regular oil. Aftermarket CVT fluids in this color include Valvoline and Amalie (including the house brands they supply such as AAP Fram and Autozone STP).

No problems with Amalie-made STP CVT fluid in an Accord :)

For what it's worth I have a 09 Civic Hybrid and my dad put Valvoline CVT fluid in it before I bought it from him. BIG mistake, the shudder was unreal when starting out, I did a double drain and fill with the Honda OE CVT fluid and the transmission has been happy ever since. The bottle clamid it was compatible with both Honda fluids (CVT and HCF-2) which I find interesting since Honda says the two fluids are incompatible.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have a 09 Civic Hybrid and my dad put Valvoline CVT fluid in it before I bought it from him. BIG mistake, the shudder was unreal when starting out, I did a double drain and fill with the Honda OE fluid and the transmission has been happy ever since. The bottle clamid it was compatible with both Honda fluids which I find interesting since Honda says the two fluids are incompatible.
Did you report this to Valvoline? That seems like quite a problem if they say it is suitable.

Did you report this to Valvoline? That seems like quite a problem if they say it is suitable.
You would think they would know better than I that the fluids are incompatible. The honda CVT fluid bottle even says on the back not to use it in HCF-2 applications.
1692295507459.jpg

For what it's worth I have a 09 Civic Hybrid and my dad put Valvoline CVT fluid in it before I bought it from him. BIG mistake, the shudder was unreal when starting out, I did a double drain and fill with the Honda OE CVT fluid and the transmission has been happy ever since. The bottle clamid it was compatible with both Honda fluids (CVT and HCF-2) which I find interesting since Honda says the two fluids are incompatible.
This is exactly my concern with aftermarket fluids marked as compatible and suitable. CVT lube is not standardized like ATF more or less was/is. Every manufacturer has different specs for their CVT transmissions. You can't make a universal fluid that works in every CVT and is just as good as the OEM fluid.

I used Valvoline CVT in a 2020 Accord Sport and it shifts exactly as it did with HCF2. I can't say whether this stinky Valvo fluid will work in other transmissions, but it is fine in this one.

This is exactly my concern with aftermarket fluids marked as compatible and suitable. CVT lube is not standardized like ATF more or less was/is. Every manufacturer has different specs for their CVT transmissions. You can't make a universal fluid that works in every CVT and is just as good as the OEM fluid.
Even Amsoil claims that their CVT fluid can be used in both applications when Honda says they are incompatible.

1692374713019.jpg

I liked the idea of this 5 gallon container with a spout but not going to take the risk anymore

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.07.45 PM.jpg

Even Amsoil claims that their CVT fluid can be used in both applications when Honda says they are incompatible.

I see Red Line says the same but the fluid feels great so maybe the valvoline that was in your car had too many miles on it? My CVT did fail at 110k miles but I personally don't think it was fluid related

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.11.57 PM.jpg

Not a cvt owner but the problem is you can't trust the bottle. It might say it works for Honda fluid and it might but it might not be optimal. Kinda like those all makes and models coolant. That definitely is not true. It will work but it isn't the right stuff

Not a cvt owner but the problem is you can't trust the bottle. It might say it works for Honda fluid and it might but it might not be optimal. Kinda like those all makes and models coolant. That definitely is not true. It will work but it isn't the right stuff
YUP...

Back