Honda V-6 trans. - what OCI?

Just bought a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L with the V-6, 85K on it. I'm not familiar with these transmissions as I've only owned Civics and a Accord with the CVT. On the CVT's, I drain/replace with HCF-2 every other oil change.

What should I do with the V-6 transmission? I'm thinking I'll drain/replace with the Honda DW-1 and change the filter that sits on the top of the transmission. Then like I did with the CVT's, drain/replace every other oil change. Is this overkill? What do y'all recommend?

Thanks!

Does your Accord have an owner's manual? Could be DW1 as you mentioned.
I would recommend ONLY changing the ATF only once for now using Genuine Honda ATF which ever is listed in the OM.
Yes, every other OCI is IMO way to many times for the ATF as the tranny still need the friction material(from the wearing clutches) to aid in engaging the clutch packs.
I believe in doing a D&F about every 30K-50K
If you were starting with a brand new vehicle/transmission then I would have a different opinion. But still, doing a tranny D&F every other OCI is too many times even with a new tranny. That's why some(key word...SOME) of the longest lasting trannies have had few ATF services if any. I'm not saying this is good, I'm just saying! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Then like I did with the CVT's, drain/replace every other oil change. Is this overkill? What do y'all recommend?
My opinion is that spill and fills for transmissions is a smart thing to do. I've owned many transmissions and have never had a single problem, even with high mileage 4l60E. My spill and fills are about 25k miles apart. I keep telling myself the trans fluid is cheap and transmissions aren't.

Yes, every other OCI is IMO way to many times for the ATF as the tranny still need the friction material(from the wearing clutches) to aid in engaging the clutch packs.
Do you have any documentation for this? First time I've heard of it. I thought the adaptive logic on modern transmissions compensates and adjusts for this, otherwise a new car without any of the friction material in the fluid wouldn't shift properly.

What should I do with the V-6 transmission? I'm thinking I'll drain/replace with the Honda DW-1 and change the filter that sits on the top of the transmission. Then like I did with the CVT's, drain/replace every other oil change. Is this overkill? What do y'all recommend?
The V6 uses DW-1 ATF as it's not a CVT. I've seen from many, many owners who owned their vehicle from new and routinely changed the ATF and all of them indicated they wasted their time and money replacing the ATF inline filter. In your case, since you just bought it and don't know the fluid history, change it or don't change it.

Changing the ATF every other oil change (presuming around 15k miles ??) is definitely overkill. The transmissions mated to the V6 (after around 2008) are solid transmissions so changing it every 50-60k could be just fine. I wouldn't change it any more often than 30k personally (unless I just bought it and want to get as much new fluid in as I could).

I don't think it is overkill what you are planning.

I have maintained several of these vehicles and have not had a failure and run vehicles to 300K. I do a drain and fill every other oil change, the. At a 100K do a 3x drain and fill.

A drain and fill only removes approx 40% of the fluid.

I use maxlife ATF with lube guard red.

A gallon and $20+ and 10 min of my time is cheap insurance.

I did and continue to do on my hrv..this one has a cvt...a drain and fill every 30000 miles. On my 07 accord and other hondas with a NORMAL type automatic I would change the filter every 50000 miles or so. Honda makes it very easy to do a drain and fill on the older trannys and on the cvt...A very easy job to do at home...Only used OEM Honda fluid...the last Accord had 386000 on it before I traded it in...NO issues at all with the tranny..

As wwilson said spill and fills are plenty. No need to do any complex flushes removing lines or anything. Just do spill and fills every 30k and change the filter at around 120k Those don't need to be constantly changed with all honesty.

This is what I would do, and what I actually do in my RDX. The transmission is really easy to service, easier than an oil change, in my opinion.

Thanks for the pointers! The local Honda dealer says every 30K. It only drains about 3.3 qts. Since I just bought the car and I have no idea what's been done I bought the DW-1 Honda fluid and the filter. I'm stoked that this trans actually has a dipstick! The CVT on my wife's Accord doesn't. Once I do this I'll go with about every 30K draining it.

Found out I need to do the timing belt and my starter is going. Starter is easy, I'll do that myself.

Thanks again!

If in doubt as to an ATF drain and refill schedule, use the Severe Service schedule if it a step shift transmission.

Otherwise, 30k intervals are more than adequate with modern ATFs.

The exceptions are of course if your vehicle is used for pulling a trailer or camper, etc.

If in doubt as to an ATF drain and refill schedule, use the Severe Service schedule if it a step shift transmission.

Otherwise, 30k intervals are more than adequate with modern ATFs.

The exceptions are of course if your vehicle is used for pulling a trailer or camper, etc.
The 6AT has some severe torque converter issues caused by fluid degradation. Honda has issued several TSB’s in an attempt to resolve it (e.g. software updates, fluid service) but the only consistent resolution is to perform very frequent fluid changes.

Let’s just say the factory interval is 25-30K (as dictated by the Maintenance Minder) and it isn’t enough.

The 6AT has some severe torque converter issues caused by fluid degradation. Honda has issued several TSB’s in an attempt to resolve it (e.g. software updates, fluid service) but the only consistent resolution is to perform very frequent fluid changes.

Let’s just say the factory interval is 25-30K (as dictated by the Maintenance Minder) and it isn’t enough.
Bingo bongo.

My opinion is that spill and fills for transmissions is a smart thing to do. I've owned many transmissions and have never had a single problem, even with high mileage 4l60E. My spill and fills are about 25k miles apart. I keep telling myself the trans fluid is cheap and transmissions aren't.
I agree, especially in the case of Honda transmissions. When I sold Honda cars from 2001-2003 the vehicles with a V6 bolted to an automatic had problems, many failed shortly after the warranty was up. Some people were good-willed a rebuilt transmission, others pounded sand. It was good from a salesman's POV, we'd push an extended warranty on delivery day of the vehicles. I'm hopeful times changed and their transmissions improved. Having said that @Trav has said many times Amsoil ATF was great in a Honda transmission.

Ok, I'll just do the every other engine oil change and I should be good to go.

Thanks for the pointers! The local Honda dealer says every 30K. It only drains about 3.3 qts. Since I just bought the car and I have no idea what's been done I bought the DW-1 Honda fluid and the filter. I'm stoked that this trans actually has a dipstick! The CVT on my wife's Accord doesn't. Once I do this I'll go with about every 30K draining it.

Found out I need to do the timing belt and my starter is going. Starter is easy, I'll do that myself.

Thanks again!
The V6 timing belt changes are really not that bad of a job, I just did the timing belt and water pump on my 2001 3.0 V6 for the 2nd time! I realize there have been some changes to these these engines over the years, but for the most part it’s pretty much the same basic engine.

Back