Honda DW-1 Alternative

I have to wonder how many Hondas (and Acuras like mine) are running around with DW1 vs MaxLife. My guess is the DIYers are using more MaxLife. Of course there are probably a lot running around on the original swill.

I have been using MaxLife and the Idemitsu fluids on the Honda transmissions I service.

So, I mean, statistically speaking he’s probably correct, the low rate of a couple of outliers is, well very low. But calling it useless also means he doesn’t understand the problem, it just writes off an area that doesn’t fit into that line of thinking, whether statistically important or not.

If I’m a chemist at maxlife, it’s very useful information because it demonstrates a potential costly problem with their product, or disclaimer issues such as mixing with someone else’s fluid. Perhaps another lubricant was used in mine before-hand, which didn’t work well with ML. I don’t know. But the experience is factual, and had I not flushed it out was going to be a personal statistic of $4500.
All right, I'll back off on useless and sorry if that was a bit harsh. But to the rest of us that are the vast unwashed masses it's not as relevant since we don't really know the whole story.

The corresponding experience is that for me I have never seen harsh shifting or anything else, and there aren't a lot of posts I've seen here that implicate Maxlife as being a problem.

Experience is local I guess.

No arguments from me. If your transmission didn't work correctly with it, then changing it was absolutely the right thing to do.

My only experience with Maxlife ended in a blown transmission. but I'm 100% confident that the problem was existing wear and a teenage driver, not the fluid.
So why even mention Maxlife then? My old ECHO had a bad output bearing in the manual transmission at about 50,000 miles, I didn't even consider mentioning the Red Line lube that was likely in the transmission at the time.

All right, I'll back off on useless and sorry if that was a bit harsh. But to the rest of us that are the vast unwashed masses it's not as relevant since we don't really know the whole story.

The corresponding experience is that for me I have never seen harsh shifting or anything else, and there aren't a lot of posts I've seen here that implicate Maxlife as being a problem.

Experience is local I guess.

Cheers, fellow bitoger, much respect.

my neighbor has all hondas and i service them all. have been using maxlife on all of them for years with no issues.
he also has 2 honda fits one has low mileage that i do atf service on every 30k and he has one he uses for doordash or uber or some **** with 150k miles on it, so he drives the piss outta it. he told me the trans was never serviced and i advised against it, but he insisted. i did 2 drain and fills with ML spring of 2023. factory fluid was very nasty coming out. he has put about 40k miles on it since i did it. and i see him everyday driving it so. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
FWIW my pilot had Wolf's Head atf from 45k-120kish and a mix of Maxlife atf/cvt and mostly the Aisin dw-1 to now (130ish) and shifts great. When switching from Wolfs Head to Maxlife and Aisin either there was an adaptation time for the transmission or I got used to it but it wouldn't surprise me if it feels wonky at first. Past that it's had no concerns.

I’ve had good luck with Amsoil SS blue cap in the six speed in my wife’s Pilot. Was going to change it at 60K but fluid is still bright red. Going to wait till 90K when I do the external filter.
+1 for Amsoil SS blue cap.

My 07 Honda Fit has used it for 157k miles after swapping from unknown when there was 166k miles total on unit. It is now sitting at 323k miles total and it shifts just fine.

I’ve ran it out to 67k, 49k and currently 41k miles between 2xD&F. I may be changing to 1 D&F every 30k max to simplify. The 67k run wasn’t the brightest pink anymore, but wasn’t burnt or anything. I think 50k is a safe compromise max.

Very pleased with Amsoil’s ATF in my experience.

Last edited:
Back