Honda HCF-2 Change Frequency and Alternatives

2022 Civic CVT here, how often should the fluid get drained and filled? I know you only get 1/3-1/2 of the fluid out at any given time anyway, and my driving habits are pretty tame, but was thinking to do the first service around 30k miles and then run with 30k mile increments. The fluid seems fairly inexpensive and the job is easy to complete.

Also curious to hear some alternatives for the HCF-2 though I'm not particularly fond of the idea of mixing some third party fluid with whatever is left over in the CVT of the factory fill, and tend to trust the Honda branded stuff a bit more overall

I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF on my last drain and fill in my 2018 CRV. It is listed as being compatible with HCF2, and from the research I did before buying the Maxlife I read that it's fully synthetic, where Honda's version might not be, so in my mind it might even be better.

Last edited:
2022 Civic CVT here, how often should the fluid get drained and filled? I know you only get 1/3-1/2 of the fluid out at any given time anyway, and my driving habits are pretty tame, but was thinking to do the first service around 30k miles and then run with 30k mile increments. The fluid seems fairly inexpensive and the job is easy to complete.

Also curious to hear some alternatives for the HCF-2 though I'm not particularly fond of the idea of mixing some third party fluid with whatever is left over in the CVT of the factory fill, and tend to trust the Honda branded stuff a bit more overall
I would stick to Honda OEM fluid...IMO

You don't need to go to the dealer for CVT fluid.

Valvoline cvt fluid is good stuff. Amalie also makes good cvt fluid.

I used the Amalie in a 2013 Accord with no problem. Autozone and AAP house brand cvt fluid is Amalie.

For the interval, change it when the minder says to :)

You don't need to go to the dealer for CVT fluid.

Valvoline cvt fluid is good stuff. Amalie also makes good cvt fluid.

I used the Amalie in a 2013 Accord with no problem. Autozone and AAP house brand cvt fluid is Amalie.

For the interval, change it when the minder says to :)
Play it safe and stick to OEM Honda fluid for your CVT...

I did a single drain and fill in my 2017 Accord Sport cvt shortly after I bought it used with a little over 29K miles on it, started researching alternative fluids and went with Amsoil CVT fluid.

I think around the 32K mile mark I did a 3X drain/fill with Amsoil cvt fluid with around a 15 mile drive in between. Around 30K miles later did a single d/f with Amsoil again. Have just over 72K miles on car now, still runs like it did when I first bought it.

I’m sure I would have been just fine sticking with the made for Honda hcf-2 fluid, but I wanted a supposedly better fluid.

I use Castrol transmax cvt fluid in her 2015 Altima.

It would have been probably easier to just use a readily available cvt fluid from auto parts store but I’m ok with having to preorder the Amsoil fluid when I know I’m getting ready for a drain and fill

I did a uoa on the the single d/f and Blackstone said I could go 35K or further but I’m sticking with Molakules recommendation of 25-30K mile intervals as he has stated that cvt’s shear the fluid worse that step shift trannys

I did a single drain and fill in my 2017 Accord Sport cvt shortly after I bought it used with a little over 29K miles on it, started researching alternative fluids and went with Amsoil CVT fluid.

I think around the 32K mile mark I did a 3X drain/fill with Amsoil cvt fluid with around a 15 mile drive in between. Around 30K miles later did a single d/f with Amsoil again. Have just over 72K miles on car now, still runs like it did when I first bought it.

I’m sure I would have been just fine sticking with the made for Honda hcf-2 fluid, but I wanted a supposedly better fluid.

I use Castrol transmax cvt fluid in her 2015 Altima.

It would have been probably easier to just use a readily available cvt fluid from auto parts store but I’m ok with having to preorder the Amsoil fluid when I know I’m getting ready for a drain and fill

I did a uoa on the the single d/f and Blackstone said I could go 35K or further but I’m sticking with Molakules recommendation of 25-30K mile intervals as he has stated that cvt’s shear the fluid worse that step shift trannys
What was “better” about the Amsoil stuff? I agree on the interval, 30k is a good one IMO

keep it changed, especially in Acura/Honda.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606_180132_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_180132_Brave.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 271
Back