2019 HRV: Amsoil CVT or Honda HCF-2

I'm sure they have some special equipment where they can check the properties and somehow reverse engineer it.
You can send a virgin sample of fluid to any of the analysis companies and they'll tell you what the "ingredients" are and how much of each there is. Using DW-1 as an example, it has (2) ingredients in very unusual amounts compared to any other ATF on the market. Chemist types can tell you why they use those but companies like Valvoline, Castrol, etc have chosen not to copy it at all. They must also have chemists or engineers who have determined it's not absolutely necessary.

I mean castor oil has made a lot of transmission fluids for a lot of OEM and I'm sure they're not the only one. I probably imagine that they get a hold of a few of these transmissions and compare their Frank & Brew versus the factory suggested fluid.
When a fluid producer makes an OEM fluid (private-labeling), it's 99.999% certain their contract will say they can't copy it or disclose it to anyone. Even if, for example, Valvoline reverse-engineered a specific fluid, they may decide that that specific market for that one fluid isn't one they're interested in. They prefer to stick with the bigger market/application that their multi-vehicle ATF covers. It's all about $$$ in the end.

I can only speak to my experience in Nissan cvt's.
I've ran the Amsoil CVT fluid in my wife's Nissan quest CVT for over 6 years now and about 60k miles. And more recently in my 2014 Altima.
Working great in both vehicles.
If you are a preferred costumer or dealer, the Amsoil fluid is a decent price and in my opinion a better quality fluid than the oem stuff.
The oem fluid would look pretty dark and nasty in 30k miles, the Amsoil fluid still looks great after 30k.

Honda certified Fluid for a Honda automatic. Automatics are too expensive and hard to service to use alternative fluids when something that has the correct additive package is available

Back