2019 HRV: Amsoil CVT or Honda HCF-2

Good day,

I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to whether or not I can use Amsoil CVT in my 2019 Honda HRV CVT. I've read countless posts on various forums and can't find solid information one way or the other to assist me in making this decision, other than use the fluid stated in the owners manual. I'm leaning toward Amsoil simply because it says it's a replacement for HCF-2 and using it won't effect the warranty. My car is out of warranty so that's not a concern. I'm concerned about using it and causing damage to the tranny. I'm hoping someone on this site can provide the technical information on the oil itself. Is it superior in its components over Honda HCF-2? Does it provide better protection? Appreciate any input, thank you. Chuck

I can't answer your questions about the Amsoil fluid, though I'd be surprised if it could cause "damage to the tranny." If you were to switch, I'd personally do several drain and fills to avoid having a mixture of the two fluids in there. Just doing one drain and fill will only replace roughly 1/3 of the fluid. I see no reason to get adventurous here, if it was me I'd stick with OEM.

Reactions: hrv
Genuinely curious how you narrowed down your choice to Amsoil.

Given the price of HCF-2 ($12 from College Hills Honda) vs $17-18 from Amsoil plus Honda developed the fluid specifically for their CVTs, it would be Honda fluid without question for me.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Either of those will be fine, as will Valvoline CVT fluid at Walmart. I've used Autozone STP (Amalie) CVT fluid in a 2013 Accord with no problems :)

Both Amalie and Valvolne are amber, the same color as what Honda uses.

If you still choose Amsoil, get it from @Pablo

That doesn't mean much though. People think Idemitsu makes DW-1 but Honda's version and Idemitsu's version are clearly different formulations.
Oh I agree with ya on that.
However, when I state the lube mfg formulates a fluid, lubricant or otherwise for themselves, I don’t want to imply that it is the same as the product that they formulate for someone else. They’re just the supplier and they’ll formulate to the other mfg’s specifications.

Keep in mind too that, IDK who actually formulates Honda fluids. I am just offering a couple of possible of suppliers/blenders.

For example many(not all) folks including NAPA store owners insist(or are under the impression) that NAPA motor oil is exactly the same per oil grade as Valvoline motor oil just because it’s formulated & supplied by Valvoline…According to Valvoline themselves(when I called them and spoke to their engineering dept.) I was specifically told that the formulas are indeed different.

For example many folks including NAPA store owners insist that NAPA motor oil is exactly the same per oil grade as Valvoline motor oil just because it’s formulated & supplied by Valvoline…According to Valvoline themselves(when I called them and spoke to their engineering dept.) I was specifically told that the formulas are indeed different.
It's deceiving and it's why I remind people (not specifically you) about this. It's even worse with Aisin as they call their fluid "DW-1". At least with Idemitsu, they call it "Type H", if I'm not mistaken ("H" for Honda, I presume). With a relationship like Honda's with their ATF producer, there is very likely contractual reasons that say "Supplier shall not produce DW-1 fluid and sell under their own brand". With NAPA and Valvoline, while Valvoline may deny it, I would bet that NAPA's version is actually the same as one of Valvoline's blends. The general public or folks who buy engine oil see no "connection" between the two companies and Valvoline doesn't have to worry about their brand being affected (good or bad).

I have over 300,000 miles of experience with hcf2 using Castrol Transmax not the new ATF/CVT stuff and I never had a issue. Now it's been DC'ed in retail shops for universal CVT ATF which I have no experience or faith in. If it meets the specs....it's fine but I liked the Castrol. Have since moved over to Redline as I got it for pennies less than OE and the PAO base with esters will probably hold in grade longer and CVTs have the propensity to shear fluid rather fast.
Look, you guys don't spend this much time and energy picking brake fluid or coolant or engine oil. If it meets the specs and you can save a bit over the factory fluid ...go for it. Occasionally I would recommend doing one pan drop and replacing the filter media just for a fresh start but that's if your high into the 150k mileage+.

If it meets the specs
Just to clarify, you'll never see me tell someone "you have to use" anything. I don't care what someone uses, but if they ask, I'll give input. I also try and avoid mentioning what I use myself 'cause some know-it-all will offer their opinion about why I'm wrong or it's such a horrible choice. 🤷‍♂️ 😂

Back to what I quoted - no one (Castrol, Idemitsu, Mobil, etc, etc) can say their fluid "meets" Honda's CVT fluid spec (or A/T fluid spec). They don't know the spec as Honda doesn't publish it, license it, etc.

Just to clarify, you'll never see me tell someone "you have to use" anything. I don't care what someone uses, but if they ask, I'll give input. I also try and avoid mentioning what I use myself 'cause some know-it-all will offer their opinion about why I'm wrong or it's such a horrible choice. 🤷‍♂️ 😂

Back to what I quoted - no one (Castrol, Idemitsu, Mobil, etc, etc) can say their fluid "meets" Honda's CVT fluid spec (or A/T fluid spec). They don't know the spec as Honda doesn't publish it, license it, etc.
That's a fair statement. But I'll look it from another spectrum and say if you look at how much cost they've put in the material versus how much markup they've got in it I can tell you that it probably wouldn't be very hard to figure out. I'm sure they have some special equipment where they can check the properties and somehow reverse engineer it. I mean castor oil has made a lot of transmission fluids for a lot of OEM and I'm sure they're not the only one. I probably imagine that they get a hold of a few of these transmissions and compare their Frank & Brew versus the factory suggested fluid. If it stays cleaner longer and has better reliability and fuel economy and can be sold for cheaper and they can feel like they can market it and make a profit that's what they're going to do. We look at Amsoil and when they finally came out with their CVT fluid they had compared it against the original equipment fluid and found that it stayed cleaner longer. I'm pretty sure that's what everybody does. But I'm always open to a civilized conversation about just anything. I'd like to hear what other people think as well

Back