Honda V-6 trans. - what OCI?

I have 15 ody.
I'd go 15k

I prefer the feel of maxlife and lubegard in this trans.

Critic is right about the fluid degradation.
Lubegard and max really prevent and torque converter issues.

Honda's recommendation is 7 years or 100K
Yeah, I always forget about the 7 years

The V6 timing belt changes are really not that bad of a job, I just did the timing belt and water pump on my 2001 3.0 V6 for the 2nd time! I realize there have been some changes to these these engines over the years, but for the most part it’s pretty much the same basic engine.
There's people that can do TB jobs on Hondas in 2-1/2 to 3 hours with experience. Doesn't matter if it's the 4-cylinder or V6, as I recall.

Haha! You can do it that quickly ? Impressive, if so ! I thought the "book time" 4-5 hours ?
Yea, if you're just doing a TB/WP I can easily see it being around that time. Start stacking on other stuff like seals, o-rings, valve adjustments, and plugs, you start stretching that time out, but a basic timing belt really is pretty simple.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always forget about the 7 years

There's people that can do TB jobs on Hondas in 2-1/2 to 3 hours with experience. Doesn't matter if it's the 4-cylinder or V6, as I recall.
I take a bit longer, since I do plugs and valve adjustment while in there.

But if it is just a belt and tensioner it will be quick.
Adjusting the valves on the back bank is PITA!

Do you have any documentation for this? First time I've heard of it. I thought the adaptive logic on modern transmissions compensates and adjusts for this, otherwise a new car without any of the friction material in the fluid wouldn't shift properly.
GOOD POINT! (y)
No! No documentation other than personal experience and others whom I know along with a bunch of YouTuber techs that also mention this as well. I think that people should do what makes them sleep at night. ;)

In my experience, the Techs whom I know personally, that if a auto tranny has close to or over 100K miles and the ATF has never been serviced, it's best to leave it alone. I could post several of my favorite YouTube videos from certified techs who explain this but I think that they'd all get criticized here for one reason or another.

Last edited:
GOOD POINT! (y)
No! No documentation other than personal experience and others whom I know along with a bunch of YouTuber techs that also mention this as well. I think that people should do what makes them sleep at night. ;)

In my experience, the Techs whom I know personally, that if a auto tranny has close to or over 100K miles and the ATF has never been serviced, it's best to leave it alone. I could post several of my favorite YouTube videos from certified techs who explain this but I think that they'd all get criticized here for one reason or another.

That's because it is old and outdated thinking. In no way is it ever helpful to leave friction material circulating through any transmission, especially a newer model with more seals, more solenoids, and closer tolerances. These aren't 700R4's and Powerglides.

If the transmission is about to fail, it is going to fail with new fluid or old.

FWIW, Ford doesn't even call for a transmission service in 'normal operation' until 105K. So they think that is just a fine interval. Of course, their definition of 'normal operation' pretty much rules out anyone actually driving the vehicle. Most of us are in the 'severe' category right out of the gate.

I don't think anyone here would suggest that. If they do, it's not because of friction material circulating in the fluid, but because the new fluid would have greater cleaning properties to dislodge old dirt and varnish that may clog a passage.

I’ve usually followed old-school 60-30-30-30 intervals for Hondas, with oem fluids, until I found amsoil. I’d let changes with amsoil go out farther. Based on the post about fluid degradation and TC issues, I’d skip the oem fluid altogether and do 2-3 drain/fills with amsoil and then keep a “normal” interval with it, without going overboard.

How do you folks feel about non OEM(but suitable) aftermarket ATFs?
Such as Valvoline MaxLife or Castrol TransMax etc., that say they're suitable for certain/specific Mfg's trannies?

Such as Valvoline MaxLife or Castrol TransMax etc., that say they're suitable for certain/specific Mfg's trannies?
I used Idemitsu H-Plus (their Honda ATF) once for a 30k mile run and it was ok, but then I had it done at the dealer the next time with genuine Honda ATF and it shifts a little better I think than even when the Idemitsu was fresh. Not a huge difference either way though.

I'm not sure I'd used a general "all purpose" ATF. Still don't trust them, personally.

Quite a few guys on the Odyclub forum switch out to MaxLife and like it. I run Valvoline full synthetic/Maxlife in my Silverado and in my last one as well.

I used the Idemitsu up until they got too pricey. I'm using Maxlife now. But I change on a much more regular basis, which is every other oil change on the Accord and every oil change on the Acura. I've had positive experiences with both of them.

I've used Maxlife, Amsoil and OEM across 2 Hondas. Using HPL in my Acura. Not a problem with any of them. I've never used Idemitsu, though I'm sure that would be just fine as well.

Amsoil Signature Series ATF, red label in my `07 Accord 2.4L and `06 Odyssey EXL. Shifts slightly quicker and firmer than stock fluid.
45,000 on the Accord
202,000 on the Odyssey
no trans. issues.

The V6 timing belt changes are really not that bad of a job, I just did the timing belt and water pump on my 2001 3.0 V6 for the 2nd time! I realize there have been some changes to these these engines over the years, but for the most part it’s pretty much the same basic engine.
I was watching youtube videos on the timing belt replace and what scares me is the tools and the leverage needed to get that 19mm crank bolt off! I have a friend that used to run the techs at a Honda dealer and he'll do it for $600 labor. I'm going that route as I only have quickjacks, and not a full lift.

The 6AT has some severe torque converter issues caused by fluid degradation. Honda has issued several TSB’s in an attempt to resolve it (e.g. software updates, fluid service) but the only consistent resolution is to perform very frequent fluid changes.

Let’s just say the factory interval is 25-30K (as dictated by the Maintenance Minder) and it isn’t enough.
This is exactly what I have noticed with my Accord V6. I do once a year transmission fluid change that is about perfect for keeping the TC happy

Back