Honda CR-V 2019 1.5L patrol FWD automatic transmission change did I do it right?

Hi,

What I did was

1. Park the car on a flat surface

2. Open the check bolt(overflow drain hole above drain bolt) and drain bolt and transmission fill hole plug

3. Let the oil drain fully

4. Close the transmission drainage bolt

5. Now put in new transmission oil
3.1L oil(THE EXACT AMOUNT THAT WAS DRAINED)

6. Turn the transmission to every gear on a running engine so that the oil goes inside all parts of the transmission

7. Now add oil and when there are only drops coming out from check bolt

8. Close thr check bolt

Please see I didn't start the engine and drive car to make the engine at operating temperature then turn off and then change transmission oil.

Is there is damage to engine if done on normal temperature engine? Have it overfilled it as engine was cold and when now the engine will get hot, the oil will expand? Should I nake car engine hot and then open check bolt and recheck and refill etx?

Last edited:
One must always check the transmission fluid level exactly in accordance with whatever is specified in your owners manual or in the repair manual.

You fill it up to the minimum level with cold fluid and then check it hot by whatever the manual says to do.

One must always check the transmission fluid level exactly in accordance with whatever is specified in your owners manual or in the repair manual.

You fill it up to the minimum level with cold fluid and then check it hot by whatever the manual says to do.
Manual says do not do it yourself.

But on YouTube it says that make transmission warm/hot then fill it otherwise you might overfill it.

Should I do the simple process of again fully making the engine warm/hot and then open the check bolt and see if it runs out of it?

Logically, if it overfilled, warming the transmission will make extra fluid come outside of the bolt...

If nothing comes out then I can fill more until it starts to drip?

I'm assuming the European version is the same as the American and that your title meant to say "petrol" instead of "patrol." But you would want to fill with the above specs listed. Replacing only what came out assumes that whomever filled it before had it exactly correct....whether it be another owner or the factory.

I'm assuming the European version is the same as the American and that your title meant to say "petrol" instead of "patrol." But you would want to fill with the above specs listed. Replacing only what came out assumes that whomever filled it before had it exactly correct....whether it be another owner or the factor
We can fill transmission oil by two methods

1. Put exact same amount that came out

2. Use the check bolt(an overflow hole). Keep putting until a stream of oil comes out of the hole. Once it starts to drip, you can close the hole with bolt the check bolt is hole which drains extra oil.

I used the second method. But the only thing missing was I did make car warm/engine hot

I think it should not be an issue as many forums say that hot or cold doesn't matter as hot only makes it drain faster.

The only way is to...open check bolt after making car engine warm....and then do second method again

Mechanic beginner 1 You did not mention using new crush washers and you did not mention using a torque wrench to tighten to the proper torque specifications. You can reuse the crush washers a couple of times but it's more likely that you'll have one of them leak on you if you over torque. Also, because everything is aluminum on these engines and transmission you really need to be using a torque wrench.

You did not mention cleaning the magnet on the drain bolt but I would assume that you did that.

On the CRV Owners Club forum others have commented that these vehicles often come with the factory CVT transmission fluid filled significantly above the overflow bolt ( significantly overfilled at the factory).

What you described would be a good enough changing of the fluid but in the future use a torque wrench. Tecton makes the best bang for the buck torque wrenches where you are getting good enough quality and low enough price. They have a three pack deal of a quarter 3/8 and half if you don't own any right now and you need to start buying them.

Mechanic beginner 1 You did not mention using new crush washers and you did not mention using a torque wrench to tighten to the proper torque specifications. You can reuse the crush washers a couple of times but it's more likely that you'll have one of them leak on you if you over torque. Also, because everything is aluminum on these engines and transmission you really need to be using a torque wrench.

On the CRV Owners Club forum others have commented that these vehicles often come with the factory CVT transmission fluid filled significantly above the overflow bolt.

What you described would be a good enough changing of the fluid but in the future use a torque wrench. Tecton makes the best bang for the buck torque wrenches we are getting good enough quality and low enough price. They have a three pack deal of a quarter 3/8 and half if you don't own any right now and you need to start buying them.
Thank you so much for reply and helpful tips

Would it be safe and better to start engine and make it run in idle for 20 mins so that transmission becomes warm/hot and then open check bolt hole and see anything drains, if not, then fill it and a stream of fluid will drain out, once it starts dripping then close the check bolt (fluid overflow) hole.

Is it good to do?

By the way, there is a breather for the CVT transmission. It's a small little right angle black piece on the top of the transmission. It's made out of rubber and it has a very small vent hole.

It's hidden behind another part, at least it is hidden behind another part on my 2016 with the 2.4 l normally aspirated engine. I'm not sure about where it's hidden or at on the 1.5 L turbocharged versions. Anyhow, if that little breather gets clogged with too much dirt the normal expansion of the air above the transmission fluid can cause the fill cap to pop off. If that happens and you drive it any significant distance you're going to get a lot of dirt in the transmission fluid and also you're going to lose a lot of fluid from The Fill cap not being on. So, one of the things I've made a point to do is every time I pop the hood I check to see that that fill cap is still in place.

By the way, there is a breather for the CVT transmission. It's a small little right angle black piece on the top of the transmission. It's made out of rubber and it has a very small vent hole.

It's hidden behind another part, at least it is hidden behind another part on my 2016 with the 2.4 l normally aspirated engine. I'm not sure about where it's hidden or at on the 1.5 L turbocharged versions. Anyhow, if that little breather gets clogged with too much dirt the normal expansion of the air above the transmission fluid can cause the fill cap to pop off. If that happens and you drive it any significant distance you're going to get a lot of dirt in the transmission fluid and also you're going to lose a lot of fluid from The Fill cap not being on. So, one of the things I've made a point to do is every time I pop the hood I check to see that that fill cap is still in place.
Oh ok.

Should transmission be filled with engine hot or cold?

I'm not a Certified mechanic but I've been working on my own cars all my life. I have changed the CVT fluid on my 2016 four times now. The last time keeping in mind that these often come from the factory with the CVT overfilled, after I set the fluid to the correct level with a little bit coming out the Overflow bolt after I had run it through all the gears stopping in each gear with the engine running up and down the shifter twice, and then shutting the engine off and filling until the Overflow overflowed. I closed it back up and then put a little bit more in the transmission before removing the funnel. I figure if the factor can overfill it a little bit so can I.

I have driven my vehicle to my brother's house to do it on his level driveway every time I did mine so the engine was fairly warm and also the transmission fluid was fairly warm. But I did not run it extremely long after doing the drain and then refilling. I've never seen any notification about having to have anything warmed up to do this. But I did do it on a nice day each time.

There was one post on the Honda CRV Owners Club forum about an owner who had his CVT transmission fail and upon inspection it was found that the cap had popped off and that the Breather was clogged. I actually wanted to take my breather off and clean it but on my vehicle it's too hard to get to because it's behind other stuff. So I just keep an eye out that the fill cap is in place.

I'm not a Certified mechanic but I've been working on my own cars all my life. I have changed the CVT fluid on my 2016 four times now. The last time keeping in mind that these often come from the factory with the CVT overfilled, after I set the fluid to the correct level with a little bit coming out the Overflow bolt after I had run it through all the gears stopping in each gear with the engine running up and down the shifter twice, and then shutting the engine off and filling until the Overflow overflowed. I closed it back up and then put a little bit more in the transmission before removing the funnel. I figure if the factor can overfill it a little bit so ca
There is lot of confusion online whether fill transmission and engine oil cold or warm

Hi,

What I did was

1. Park the car on a flat surface

2. Open the check bolt(overflow drain hole above drain bolt) and drain bolt and transmission fill hole plug

3. Let the oil drain fully

4. Close the transmission drainage bolt

5. Now put in new transmission oil
3.1L oil(THE EXACT AMOUNT THAT WAS DRAINED)

6. Turn the transmission to every gear on a running engine so that the oil goes inside all parts of the transmission

7. Now add oil and when there are only drops coming out from check bolt

8. Close thr check bolt

Please see I didn't start the engine and drive car to make the engine at operating temperature then turn off and then change transmission oil.

Is there is damage to engine if done on normal temperature engine? Have it overfilled it as engine was cold and when now the engine will get hot, the oil will expand? Should I nake car engine hot and then open check bolt and recheck and refill etx?
You did fine...

I clean that little L breather with a really small screw driver or pick. Good information to share. I keep spare plug and filter in glove box.

Reactions: hrv
There was one post on the Honda CRV Owners Club forum about an owner who had his CVT transmission fail and upon inspection it was found that the cap had popped off and that the Breather was clogged. I actually wanted to take my breather off and clean it but on my vehicle it's too hard to get to because it's behind other stuff. So I just keep an eye out that the fill cap is in place.
Next to the fill cap is a little black rubber cap..that is the breather...You just pull it off and check if it is not plugged up with dirt..if you cant blow through it just clean the little hole out till clean..then place it back on and thats all there is to it...

There is lot of confusion online whether fill transmission and engine oil cold or warm
when I did my 21 Honda HRV I started the car and let it warm up for about three minutes..then I changed the CVT fluid...all is well..a very easy job to do..

Btw, there are two transmission oil filters but you don't need to change them until you get up around 80,000 miles or so. One is a small cartridge type and it's located high up towards the front of the engine transmission assembly. The other is a in transmission filter that you have to drop the pan to get to. There are a couple of YouTube videos about how to change those filters but those videos are hard to find.

Back