First ATF change, need some advice (Honda Odyssey)

Working on my wife's 2010 Honda Odyssey with ~175K. I've just started doing stuff on my CR-V and have done the oil, ATF, and rear diff fluids. Nothing exploded so I'm going to do her car now.

She is almost due for an oil change so I'm going to take care of that. She said she had been using whatever's cheapest at the quicky lube so I'll be using something fully synthetic.

I'm not sure when the ATF fluid might have been changed last. Probably be a whiiiile. From reading it sounds like I can drain and fill, drive through the gears, then repeat as needed. The fluid on the dipstick doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. I can still tell it's red so figured that was a good sign.

I was planning on using something other than Honda ATF. I've read a bunch of threads and people are on both sides of the debate. Will this work: Valvoline ATF
It lists the Honda fluid in the compatibility list. OK to mix with whatever is in there? Will I know how many times I need to flush and fill? Didn't know if I should be going on how the stuff looks when it drains, or if I should just do one or two swaps and see how it drives?

Thanks for all the great info around here!

#1) While I'm all for using whatever petroleum product works, the advice I heard regarding the use of Honda ATF was darn near unanimous.
And this is coming from a guy who has used gallons of Valvoline Maxlife in other units.
Given the minor increase in cost, I gladly used Honda ATF in my brother's '07 Odyssey and neighbor's '10 Accord.

#2) We all know that chemical analyses are the only way to know the condition any fluid.
However, we also know that leaning toward the "too frequent refreshment" end of the spectrum guarantees you'll have clean fluid.
Expensive testing to reach the absolute maximum life from a fluid isn't necessary. In short, overdoing it is part of maintenance.

NOTE: I had my oil tested as I was using my manufacturer's recommended 7.5K OCI. That OCI left me with a small but consistent reserve of 'good chemicals'. Since my driving isn't grueling -some could call it easy- and I'm 20 years on the same model engine, I'm confident I've selected a solid path.

#3) With ATF, most folk here just go with a level of visual cleanliness they're comfortable with.

#4) Like Drew7a, I use LubeGuard (red bottle) too.

PM sent re 14mm drain washers.

Last edited:
#1) While I'm all for using whatever petroleum product works, the advice I heard regarding the use Honda ATF was darn near unanimous.
And this is coming from a guy who has used gallons of Valvoline Maxlife in other units.
Given the minor increase in cost, I gladly used Honda ATF in my brother's '07 Odyssey and neighbor's '10 Accord....
I went back and forth several times. Might as well just go with Honda. I haven't priced it out but I'm hoping it isn't too much more since I'll need a case or so to do 3x fill.
And I'll make sure to add some Lubeguard.
Thanks!

You only need 3-1/2 quarts so even at $15/bottle* plus buying a long funnel (in case you don't already have one), you're out less than $75. People here like to use the phrase "it's cheap insurance" to justify so many things so why use or recommend Valvoline or some other non-Honda fluid ?

If your transmission is operating normally, I'd just do a single drain-and-fill. Then repeat it in 15-20-30k miles.

*Haven't checked the price in quite a while but it was around $10/bottle last time. $15 is just an WAG from me.

Right now list price (undiscounted) for DW-1 is $10.12/qt. Most decent Honda dealers will sell for that if you just ask for no markup. And you might get a discount.

Many users at the OdyClub forum have good experience with Valvoline. My family has a 2012 Pilot (5sp) converted to VML at 75k miles. It's at 155k miles now, no issues. We've also had two Odysseys, one a 2001 4sp with over 200k miles, and currently have a 2017 Pilot, and 2017 Ridgeline that have all had Honda fluid and never had a transmission issue.

I agree with Hall, unless you are trying to address a specific issue, just do a 3.5 qt drain and fill now, and then for the next 2-3 oil changes while you're there.

Seems you made up your mind, that said, after initial fill MaxLife MVFS ATF all I've used in multiple Hondas including 01 Civic and 3.0L V6. That now with couple hundred thousand miles with that fluid, with simple single d&fs every 25-30k miles.

As for supposed "unanimous" on using DW1, must be from a dedicated Honda site(s). No doubt would be 'the princess" advice. "In my observation,' certainly not this site advice. I suppose if you want to use LG red, your call. Never found the need for it in my Hondas.

Imo, DW1 nothing special and my local dealer wants just over list for it ~$10.50/qt vs $26/gal or $6.88/qt for ML FSMV. My .02

Personally, I'd do D/F with MaxLife, wait till next oil change to do another D/F and from then on do D/F every 40-50k miles.
I do oil changes every 8-10k on my wifes CRV, and when I started maintaining it I just did an ATF change along with the oil change for 4 changes and now I do it every 3rd or 4th change.. I used Maxlife and have had no issues.

Is there any particular reason for not doing the following?

1) drain & refill
2) then disconnect the transmission return line (attach clear tubing), and use how many ever quarts (usually 4-5 quarts more than the transmission capacity) until you get a cherry red color coming out. NOTE: I would use an old jug to measure and take out 2 quarts (start the car and stop when the old jug reads 2 quarts) at a time and add 2 fresh quarts through the fill plug/tube until new cherry red transmission fluid can be seen through the clear tube attached to the transmission return line.

I don't see any point in leaving mostly old transmission fluid in the transmission. A complete transmission fluid exchange costs less and you can go longer intervals without having to service the transmission fluid.

The myth that a neglected transmission, if you exchange the fluid you will ruin it, I have NEVER EVER experienced it, I have experienced using incorrect fluid causing damage to Honda transmissions (NTB used non-compatible ATF in my 2000 Civic and I mostly rectified the transmission shifting issues by switching over to a compatible ATF).

I would pull the plug and clean it on the 1st change and then use my MityVac on subsequent services. Probably during 5K oil changes until I completed 3. Then 1 every 25K miles. Easy peasey. Love Hondas for their sensible service procedures. Toyota and their stand pipe services is kinda silly and overly complicated.

Honda of American (and Japan) consider a single drain-and-fill to be acceptable for maintenance.
In Japan Honda recommends 40k km D/F intervals, been there a few times, their driving is way different and ATF gets beaten more at their 40k km than here in NA at 40k miles.

I’m one of two, if I’m not mistaken, people on this board who have had transmission issues related to maxlife. In my case, since the Honda in question for us was used, I don’t know if the previous owner had done something or had fluid in it that set it up to have a bad experience with maxlife, but I’ve done many, many ATF changes and tried many things and that was the one that bit me. However, it was a darling fluid in general for this board for many years, to include Honda use. Me, I’ve used am in nearly ALL of my D/Fs, and the only place where amsoil hasn’t been great is when following their recommendations to use it in a ULV-spec’ed unit. For me, Honda, amsoil.

I have a 2010 Odyssey. I used Redline D4. I would do 2 drain and fills, then drive for a while then do another in a year or so. I think D4 is a better fit for this trans than the LV fluids. These cars came from the factory with Honda Z1. My Ody has 200k now and shifts well.

I only use the Honda fluid designated for the particular vehicle for my transmission drains and refills. Our current Honda is a 2015 Civic with a CVT and it is due for another change.

There is no such thing as a maintenance free automatic transmission from any manufacturer.

Working on my wife's 2010 Honda Odyssey with ~175K. I've just started doing stuff on my CR-V and have done the oil, ATF, and rear diff fluids. Nothing exploded so I'm going to do her car now.

She is almost due for an oil change so I'm going to take care of that. She said she had been using whatever's cheapest at the quicky lube so I'll be using something fully synthetic.

I'm not sure when the ATF fluid might have been changed last. Probably be a whiiiile. From reading it sounds like I can drain and fill, drive through the gears, then repeat as needed. The fluid on the dipstick doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. I can still tell it's red so figured that was a good sign.

I was planning on using something other than Honda ATF. I've read a bunch of threads and people are on both sides of the debate. Will this work: Valvoline ATF
It lists the Honda fluid in the compatibility list. OK to mix with whatever is in there? Will I know how many times I need to flush and fill? Didn't know if I should be going on how the stuff looks when it drains, or if I should just do one or two swaps and see how it drives?

Thanks for all the great info around here!
I prefer maxlife in my ody

Back