Proper ATF 2003 Odyssey

Here are the facts of the situation:

... and THAT's how that works.
Exactly. It’s nothing “special” and can be subbed for other comparable fluids without negative consequences. Thank you for proving that. Did my job for me. :cool::sneaky:😁

Even their special formula didn't help with those transmissions
Irrelevant. A flawed mechanical design (poor QC, etc) won't be saved by a fluid. This applies to engines, transmissions, pumps, etc, etc no matter the manufacturer.

Honda probably formulated their ATF differently because their automatic transmissions are of a different design.
But I thought regular Dexron-type ATFs would be just fine ? Doesn't matter what design the transmission is ?

Zinc and magnesium. I do think that is for the synchronizers, Regular Dexron isn't going to kill the transmission by all means, you can run maxlife, but the only thing that will change is the shifting profile even if it does, it might not be noticeable. or if the transmission has less wear and it does.
Those syncronizers engage alot harsher even with a 100ppm difference for some reasson, but for some it doesn't , especially if they are a little worn.
There are no syncros in these transmissions. There are, however, very specific shift timings that must be met in order to shift smooth as there are ocassions when one clutch is applying and another is releasing on the same shaft. If the timing is off one way, it will bind, too slow and it will flare, and the fluid has to have a bit of slip in it to smooth it out.

Irrelevant. A flawed mechanical design (poor QC, etc) won't be saved by a fluid. This applies to engines, transmissions, pumps, etc, etc no matter the manufacturer.

But I thought regular Dexron-type ATFs would be just fine ? Doesn't matter what design the transmission is ?

Correct. Dexron will be just fine for the 2003 Odyssey :)

Truly curious, what ATF do you use in your Hondas or Hondas you owned in the past ?

I have changed the ATF on a few Hondas.

On a 98 Civic, I used Walmart brand Dexron III multi.

On a 2008 Civic, I used Castrol Full Synthetic ATF.

On a 2013 Accord (CVT), I used Autozone brand STP CVT fluid (made by Amalie)

No transmission-related problems on any. I would have no problems using Maxlife on a Honda automatic (non-CVT). The Castrol happened to be on sale when it was time to change it on the 08 Civic, and of course, quarts are easier to pour than the big gallon jug.

I have changed the ATF on a few Hondas.

On a 98 Civic, I used Walmart brand Dexron III multi.

On a 2008 Civic, I used Castrol Full Synthetic ATF.

On a 2013 Accord (CVT), I used Autozone brand STP CVT fluid (made by Amalie)

No transmission-related problems on any. I would have no problems using Maxlife on a Honda automatic (non-CVT). The Castrol happened to be on sale when it was time to change it on the 08 Civic, and of course, quarts are easier to pour than the big gallon jug.
You do recognize that multi-vehicle fluids are not the same as “plain Dexron,” right?

Then why did you recommend Dexron for a 2003 Odyssey?

Regular Dexron and the universal multis are closer to each other than either are to Honda's OEM Z1/DW1 fluids that use wildly different chemistry than Dexron and the multis based off it.

I meant regular Dexron to distinguish from Z1 and DW1, that Dexron and the multis based off it are OK to use in a Honda. That's what it sounded like he was asking about.

Exactly. It’s nothing “special” and can be subbed for other comparable fluids without negative consequences. Thank you for proving that. Did my job for me. :cool::sneaky:😁
I prefer to actually read the article, and the recommendations about using DW-1 in step-shift transmissions, or vice versa.

"The chemical signature for this ATF is essentially the same as Honda's Z-1 fluid and is indicative of fluids used in Automated Manual transmissions. To the author's knowledge, no Step-Shift ATF chemical signature compares. Notable is the level of the Zinc compounds needed for the internals of Automated Manual transmissions. Owners' of Step-Shift automatic transmissions should avoid using this product in any Step-Shift automatic transmission."

"Valvoline MaxLifeâ„¢ (Part # beginning with 773): Boron - 272 Silicon - 2 Sodium - 8 Calcium - 230 Magnesium - 3 Phosphorus - 579 Zinc - 3 Viscosity@100C - 5.91 cSt Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is indicative of the later Dexron and Dex/Merc series of ATF's based on the original Dexron through the Dexron III(H)) and Dexron VI series of ATF's. It is closely comparative to the GM Dexron VI formulations as well as to their own Dexron VI offering, and can be classified as a low Viscosity ATF. What is notable is a boost in the Ant-Wear Phosphorus compound of about 200 ppm. The manufacturer claims coverage, or "Suitable for Use in" (no equivalency claims) for Honda/Acura's Z-1 and DW-1. I do not see how this could be the case when compared to the DW-1 analysis above."

I prefer to follow the advice of both the manufacturer and the guy with the PhD reading the chemical analysis.

You may do as you please, but claims of the article proving anything, especially your point, are not accepted.

I prefer to actually read the article, and the recommendations about using DW-1 in step-shift transmissions, or vice versa.

"The chemical signature for this ATF is essentially the same as Honda's Z-1 fluid and is indicative of fluids used in Automated Manual transmissions. To the author's knowledge, no Step-Shift ATF chemical signature compares. Notable is the level of the Zinc compounds needed for the internals of Automated Manual transmissions. Owners' of Step-Shift automatic transmissions should avoid using this product in any Step-Shift automatic transmission."

"Valvoline MaxLifeâ„¢ (Part # beginning with 773): Boron - 272 Silicon - 2 Sodium - 8 Calcium - 230 Magnesium - 3 Phosphorus - 579 Zinc - 3 Viscosity@100C - 5.91 cSt Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is indicative of the later Dexron and Dex/Merc series of ATF's based on the original Dexron through the Dexron III(H)) and Dexron VI series of ATF's. It is closely comparative to the GM Dexron VI formulations as well as to their own Dexron VI offering, and can be classified as a low Viscosity ATF. What is notable is a boost in the Ant-Wear Phosphorus compound of about 200 ppm. The manufacturer claims coverage, or "Suitable for Use in" (no equivalency claims) for Honda/Acura's Z-1 and DW-1. I do not see how this could be the case when compared to the DW-1 analysis above."

I prefer to follow the advice of both the manufacturer and the guy with the PhD reading the chemical analysis.

You may do as you please, but claims of the article proving anything, especially your point, are not accepted.
If your assertion, and his, are correct, there would be thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Honda owners losing transmissions left and right due to not using DW-1 in DW-1 “required”transmissions.

Since that’s not happening, one would use logic, common sense, and the law of averages and conclude that not using DW-1 but comparable fluids is not as big of an issue as you’re making it out to be.
I prefer statistics and numbers to your feelings. Sorry not sorry.

LoL tyman you don't have to worry about my "feelings". However perhaps should do some self-examination when dismissing facts, experience and chemical analysis as "feelings".

Lol. Yes, all that data and experience of hundreds of thousands of DW-1 owners that have swapped out fluids without problems. **** those facts! I hate when those pesky facts get in the way. Dangit.

LoL tyman you don't have to worry about my "feelings". However perhaps should do some self-examination when dismissing facts, experience and chemical analysis as "feelings".
When did any facts get dismissed? I did not see anyone say the chemical analyses were the same and the statement to not use is an opinion, educated or not.

Back