In the market for a newer vehicle

Hi all, I haven’t been in the market for a while. I’m looking for recommendations on vehicles 5 years old or newer; approximately.

I’m looking for a 4 door sedan preferably.

I’m basically thinking of a Civic, Accord, or a Camry, etc. I’ve also heard good things about the Mirage.

I did have concerns over GDI and TGDI issues I’ve read about with Hondas when it was first being implemented, but don’t know any specific models to avoid off hand.

Are there known models with existing fuel dilution issues that would warrant buying a different model or brand?

As far as comfort, it’s a factor, but fuel economy is also important.

Thanks for any input!

I’d go with the Mazda3 as well; if Mazda still built Mazdaspeed versions I would have kept buying them.

I would say reliability and longevity are the most important factors.

Comfort and fuel economy matter after that.

It doesn’t have to be the most luxurious, but not the roughest ride either.

At the same time, if it can get at least 30 MPG in some form or fashion; such as the hybrid suggestions, all such are well received and will be looked into.

Thanks!

I run a car buying service called 48 Hours And A Used Car.

The two most popular vehicles I sell are...

1) Volkswagen Jetta with the 1.4 Liter Engine
2) Honda HR-V, which is more.or less a Honda Fit chassis with a bit more room and a higher seating position.

Most Hondas and Toyotas are ridiculously overpriced in the used car market. These vehicles are heavily marketed to subprime customers who are willing to pay all the money in the world to own one. If you factor in the interest rates, some pay more than new car buyers.

The Mirage has actually been the most reliable subcompact for the last several years according to my study, the Long-Term Quality Index. It's a proven powertrain but check the safety performance before you lean that way.

Good luck!

Last edited:
When I was looking at VW's on here with the 6MT people poohed on it, apparently VW and clutches don't get along. Not saying it's the end of the road, just that this road might need a clutch or two.

My Corolla is wicked boring but is indicating 42mpg at the moment. And it's not a hybrid--but it lives on the highway. Snooze-ville and plenty of road noise, but I'm 93% sure it's less noise than a Mirage while being 13% faster 0-60. [I might have made those numbers up.] Don't get wrong, I was really tempted to get a Mirage a few years ago, a 3 pot and a 5MT sounded cool, but they are slow, and I do nothing but highway driving, the droning might get to me, which is why I didn't go that route.

Have you done any shopping yet? Prices are starting to come down, but if the last time you did any shopping was pre-pandemic, you ought to be sitting down.

I had a 2019 Jetta SE that I bought in 2020 as a left over for 18,800. Wife drove it daily 100mile round trips to work for a year and then she went work from home. It got crazy mpg 40+ every tank with mostly highway mileage.
Didn’t need it anymore and carvana came and picked it up for over 23k. Covid turned the vehicle market upside down.
The aisin automatic transmission is pretty good in the Jetta.

Accord or Camry hybrid, the Camry non-hybrid, Corolla hatchback, Fit, Spark, Mirage.

Do you have a price limit? :unsure:
If possible something under $25k. Might be able to pay it off up front so no financing needed. That might be a get out the door price if all cash, paid in full. Depends on the dealer and the model in question I suppose; unless buying private owner.

If possible something under $25k. Might be able to pay it off up front so no financing needed. That might be a get out the door price if all cash, paid in full. Depends on the dealer and the model in question I suppose; unless buying private owner.

The Honda Clarity PHEV would be a good choice for you :)

Hi all, I haven’t been in the market for a while. I’m looking for recommendations on vehicles 5 years old or newer; approximately.

I’m looking for a 4 door sedan preferably.

I’m basically thinking of a Civic, Accord, or a Camry, etc. I’ve also heard good things about the Mirage.

I did have concerns over GDI and TGDI issues I’ve read about with Hondas when it was first being implemented, but don’t know any specific models to avoid off hand.

Are there known models with existing fuel dilution issues that would warrant buying a different model or brand?

As far as comfort, it’s a factor, but fuel economy is also important.

Thanks for any input!

Mazda's Skyactiv engines are DI, but they have been very reliable with no fuel dilution issues.

If you want the Civic, try to get the 2.0L naturally aspirated engine, that's port fuel injected, not direct injection.

Back