I need a long lasting fuel efficient vehicle (not a hybrid, electric, or PHEV)

I'm in the market for a new or newer fuel efficient vehicle. not interested in a hybrid, electric, or PHEV vehicle.

I'd prefer something that isnt GDI or something that wont dilute the motor oil..

I havent been involved int the new car market for some time.

Im kindof interested in a new or newer crosstrek, i dont know what the consensus is on here with those vehicles.

I've had one subaru that was junk at 99k miles, because the turbocharger grenaded and i was told by a subaru mechanic that the bearings and other turbocharger metal were circulating in the motor oil and the engine was toast (he really said this). Had something to do with the sludge screen.

With that said i kindof want a subaru, not sure if i should avoid the turbocharged ones.. only because they're slightly lifted enough to take them on some forest roads in Colorado and Wyoming to go camping in.

I've read that the consensus on new gas engines in passenger cars (with the exception being the heavy duty gas engines such as the Ford 6.2, 7.3 and now 6.8, and chevy 6.6 gas v8's) is that they're junk, they dilute the motor oil, they have low tensions rings etc.)

I didnt know if that was true for all of them. I've read that anything ecoboost is something to run away from.

you would be looking at a 2018 or earlier subaru depending on model they went to direct injection in different years.
some had issue with A/C, wheel bearings going due to out of spec backing plates, early death of control arm bushings and some other minor issues.

The real deal on a subaru is buying a new one.. used ones are close in price to a new one.
buy a new 2023/2024 and you have full warranty etc.

Forester is barely more so might want to shop both.

Just about all Subaru's today are DI, so you will have to hunt for an older one to avoid it. There have been some recent UOAs that show clear fuel dilution but none exploding thanks to SP oil. I think Crosstreks are excellent vehicles, but a bit on the small side.

The Crosstrek with manual transmission is a pretty good choice. It may not meet your needs, but is a Subaru, long lived and reliable.

The CVT in the Crosstrek is not a long life unit.

The CVT in the Crosstrek is not a long life unit.

Is that internet noise or what? I thought the chain style subaru CVT was clearly superior than the belt pusher style? As recently as a few years ago anyway.. I havent recently researched the newer jatco CVTs.

5% failure by 100k miles is enough to make everyone think they have a dud with internet echo chamber.

Is there some source on that info I'm interested as I have one. I also frequent several forester forums and they dont seem to fail excessively... at least on there.

Is that internet noise or what? I thought the chain style subaru CVT was clearly superior than the belt pusher style?

This is me, in a Crosstrek rental. Got it at 2000 miles, failed by 2400 miles. The Avis guy said they see a lot of this. Transmission failed with cruise control on, going up a long grade. Engine RPM was a factor.

I'm in the market for a new or newer fuel efficient vehicle. not interested in a hybrid, electric, or PHEV vehicle.

I'd prefer something that isnt GDI or something that wont dilute the motor oil..

Im kindof interested in a new or newer crosstrek, i dont know what the consensus is on here with those vehicles.

I've had one subaru that was junk at 99k miles, because the turbocharger grenaded and i was told by a subaru mechanic that the bearings and other turbocharger metal were circulating in the motor oil and the engine was toast (he really said this). Had something to do with the sludge screen.

With that said i kindof want a subaru, not sure if i should avoid the turbocharged ones.. only because they're slightly lifted enough to take them on some forest roads in Colorado and Wyoming to go camping in.

I've read that the consensus on new gas engines in passenger cars (with the exception being the heavy duty gas engines such as the Ford 6.2, 7.3 and now 6.8, and chevy 6.6 gas v8's) is that they're junk, they dilute the motor oil, they have low tensions rings etc.)

I didnt know if that was true for all of them. I've read that anything ecoboost is something to run away from.
This is a nonsensical statement. Do you REALLY KNOW how many of these motors are on the road? Two thirds of pickups are sold with

an eco-boost motor. Contrast that with the amount sold in the last ten years.
Yea-you are going to read complaints-just based on the number sold.
Try some logic

I'd prefer something that isnt GDI or something that wont dilute the motor oil.....

What does "fuel efficienct" mean to you? Is that 25mpg? 35mpg? Everything is relative in perspective. Good mileage for a truck would be bad mileage for a mid-size sedan.

The topic of reliable engines/vehicles with simplicity (no turbos, not DI, no CVT, etc) has been covered in many threads of late. Perhaps review some of those?

What does "fuel efficienct" mean to you? Is that 25mpg? 35mpg? Everything is relative in perspective. Good mileage for a truck would be bad mileage for a mid-size sedan.

The topic of reliable engines/vehicles with simplicity (no turbos, not DI, no CVT, etc) has been covered in many threads of late. Perhaps review some of those?

Fuel efficient means to me north of 20 mpg on the highway if not more

I recently purchased a 2023 Camry. It uses Toyotas "Dynamic Force" 2.5 engine that utilizes both port and direct injection, eliminating the concern of direct injection carbon build up. 40+ MPG on the interstate is easily achieved, mixed city driving you can hit over 30. That's fantastic IMO for a vehicle this size, power is acceptable as well at 203 HP. It also has the Aisin 8 speed transmission, no CVT. This is about as long a lasting new vehicle that you can purchase now.

Hondas are diluters.
Toyota Corolla or VW Jetta.
All of the new cars are going to have GDI or a combination GDI/Port injection.

Last edited:
Model year, 2023 dodge charger or Chrysler 300 with the Penta star V6. One of the last I CE powered vehicles available with an engine that is neither turbo charged nor DI. Each of these is available with the ZF8 speed automatic, which is highly regarded. Reliability over the last several years of the production of these vehicles has actually risen believe it or not. Highway mileage for this engine and transmission combination can easily reach 30 mpg or slightly higher even.

Honda Civic. Naturally aspirated, will knock down over 40mpg at highway speeds. My now-wife had a 2007 when we met and I was amazed at how well that thing did on gas.

This is a nonsensical statement. Do you REALLY KNOW how many of these motors are on the road? Two thirds of pickups are sold with

an eco-boost motor. Contrast that with the amount sold in the last ten years.
Yea-you are going to read complaints-just based on the number sold.
Try some logic

Do the ecoboosts still use a plastic oil pan?

2017 VW Jetta SEL was a surprise for me. Pulled down 50 mpg on a ride from Rochester to Boston last year. Had some luck downhills and a bit of drafting, but always getting 40+ regardless on the long rides. Plus comfy and punchy when you need it.

Back