5 years and 93K with my Honda Accord Hybrid

Time does fly and I've now had this car for close to half its useful life.
I'll discuss fuel economy first, since it is the primary reason for buying a hybrid. The car has used 1895.9 gallons from new to its last fill-up at 93,532 miles, so has gotten 49.3 mpg actual to date. Summer fuel economy, with warm weather and lower RVP fuel will easily get into the 55 mpg range while during the winter I can expect 44-45 mpg typically. A really cold spell can drop that down to 42 mpg or so. Pushing through fresh snow also reduces fuel economy noticeably. I've had a total of three tanks below 40 mpg with a worst ever of 37.1 mpg. I've also had two tanks of over 60 mpg, which JHZR opined the car was capable of in a PM exchange we had after I'd first bought it. Highway trips bring lower fuel economy than does local driving, the opposite of what you'd see with a gas only car. Under favorable conditions, the car spends maybe 20% of its run time in EV mode and that is greatly reduced in interstate driving. Gasoline price spikes, like what we saw in the spring of 2022 are of little concern since I'm not buying that much fuel. The car has delivered what Honda had on the sticker for fuel economy and then some.
As a car it is quiet with a firm, well controlled ride. Handling is good with much less understeer than our Gen 8 had. The EPS is okay, although it offers limited road feel and is not in the same league as what Subaru put on our Forester. Interior room is ample for four adults, although the car is narrower than the Gen 8 and so not really adequate for four plus a child car seat in the center rear. The door pockets are tiny while those of the Gen 8 would easily accommodate a quart bottle of oil. Same story with the trunk. The Gen 8 would easily fit two large roller bags side by side where with the Gen 10 you have to have one angled with part of it over the other.
I'll say that the seats are comfortable since I never really notice them and would if they weren't. These are not the big chairs you got in the Gen 8 but they are readily adjustable for reach, height, rake and seat cushion angle, so it's pretty easy to find a comfortable driving position. The seating position is lower than with previous Accords and those with back or knee trouble might find entry and egress difficult. Outward visibility is not as good as on every previous Accord we've had. The cowl line is high, as is the belt line and the greenhouse is truncated. The fast angle of the rear yields a bit of the mail slot effect. In compensation, the door mirrors are large and well placed and do give a good view of either side.
HVAC is good for both AC and heat and does a fine job defrosting or demisting the window. There are ducts to supply the heated or cooled air to the rear seat passengers.
You can barely hear the gas engine under most conditions and acceleration at maximum effort is brisk. This does involve the gas engine doing little more than acting as the power unit of a genset, so it is quite audible under hard acceleration. The HAH will leave a lot of cars for dead from a standing start, and is surprisingly quick from 70 mph to 100 mph, but that isn't really what it's for and I rarely use maximum available power.
Overall an easy car to get comfortable in and drive without any major compromises.
I have had two mechanical issues, one resolved very simply and the other warrantied by Honda. I learned that the 12 V battery can die with no warning and no indication that it's the problem, other than the fact that the car was bricked and gave a cascade of dire warnings for all sorts of things. I had the car flatbeded to the dealer, where they quickly determined that the 12 V battery was the fault and replaced it. The AC also stopped working, the cause being a leaky condenser, a known problem that Honda will cover repair costs for as they did.
I've been very pleased with the car overall. I love the fob and the fact that it need never leave your pocket. The downside of no button pushing is that it's always on and so battery life is only a couple of years. The spare fob will also be dead by then, so two batteries and ten minutes or so every couple of years. I paid what today would be a laughably low price for this car, $23.4 or .5 on the last Friday of that September. Right time and right place to buy, I guess. Interest in hybrids wasn't all that great in the early fall of 2018 and the selling dealer had had the car in inventory since May of that year.
Would I do it again? Yes, but that's also true of most of the cars we've owned over the years with only a few exceptions I can think of.

Last edited:
Great to hear it worked great for you. Did you have any issues with bottom hitting ground in ditches or parking ramps ever? My first sedan died just because of hitting ground, tranny, exhause,etc a

Great to hear it worked great for you. Did you have any issues with bottom hitting ground in ditches or parking ramps ever? My first sedan died just because of hitting ground, tranny, exhause,etc a
Never a problem with any parking ramp and I've never tried driving it through a ditch.
Couple of things I forgot to mention.
Oil changes are easy to do cleanly. The OEM Michelin Energy tires went 72K and would have easily made over 80K. I replaced them with the same late in the summer of '22 since winter was on its way and DT had one of their periodic deals going. I've found these tires to be good under all conditions as Michelin AS tires usually are, contrary to some reviews I've seen. The brakes should last about forever since I use regen for most stops. It's possible to drive the 25 or so miles to work and not even polish the flash rust off the rotors after a rainy night.
All in all a charming car that offers a level of interest to me that a 1.5t Accord wouldn't.

IMG_2415.jpg

Putting this here to help inform the fuel efficiency conversation. Once you start getting above about 30-40 mpg, relatively large swings in the apparent mpg number don’t actually mean much change in actual fuel used.

You ain't kidding about time passing so quickly. I remember when you got this vehicle. Glad it has serviced your transportation needs with aplomb.

View attachment 185962

Putting this here to help inform the fuel efficiency conversation. Once you start getting above about 30-40 mpg, relatively large swings in the apparent mpg number don’t actually mean much change in actual fuel used.
You make a valid observation, but if you look at fuel cost per mile, you still save significant money even between 40 mpg and 50 mpg, 1.5 cents per mile at $3.00 a gallon, or $15.00 each thousand miles. Obviously the significance of this will vary with miles of use as well as fuel prices. The higher fuel prices are, the more cost savings from higher fuel economy.

You make a valid observation, but if you look at fuel cost per mile, you still save significant money even between 40 mpg and 50 mpg, 1.5 cents per mile at $3.00 a gallon, or $15.00 each thousand miles. Obviously the significance of this will vary with miles of use as well as fuel prices. The higher fuel prices are, the more cost savings from higher fuel economy.
Yep, in that case the 10 MPGs is a 25% increase. Equal savings can be achieved in 4 MPGs by going from 16 MPG to 20 MPG.

Yep, in that case the 10 MPGs is a 25% increase. Equal savings can be achieved in 4 MPGs by going from 16 MPG to 20 MPG.
Well sure, but while I've had such thirsty vehicles I probably won't again. You are right in that the greatest savings come at the far left of the graph you posted.

What trim level do you have? Agree on the Michelin Energy tires. Those came on the '12 Camry and replaced them for General RT43 tires. Now that it's tire time again will look for the Michelin Energy tires again. Hard to beat those tires.

Great to hear a success story instead of doom and gloom. We are looking at a 2024 Toyota Rav 4 hybrid. I have never owned a hybrid but will have one soon. I really like the Honda hybrids too. Thanks for the great report.
Guys, question......is there a standard recognized test for used hybrid vehicle batteries to make sure that they still have near advertised KW hour capacity? I would hate to purchase a used hybrid vehicle only to find out that the hybrid battery has lost it's capacity.

What trim level do you have? Agree on the Michelin Energy tires. Those came on the '12 Camry and replaced them for General RT43 tires. Now that it's tire time again will look for the Michelin Energy tires again. Hard to beat those tires.
It's a base Accord, which means you give up heated seats, a moonroof and a touch screen.
I can live without those things and the car is generally very well equipped.
There is no longer a base hybrid. As a consequence an Accord hybrid now runs around 31K.
The base car is a 1.5t.

My Accord Hybrid is 10 years old. Just had an episode with the 12 volt battery. It was cold and the battery must have been marginal. Drove 15 miles to pick up a friend for a day trip and couldn't restart the car. Got warnings about brake system malfunction, ABS malfunction, etc.. It was nuts. Finally got it shut off and after a few minutes, the 12 volt battery rebounded enough to start the car. Drove immediately to Advance Auto and had them put in a new battery, which, hopefully, cured the problem. The original 12 volt battery charges off the drive battery, so it didn't read dead after a 5 mile run to Advance, but it was still low. A battery wasn't cheap, but probably less than half what the local "stealership" would have charged and I would have had a lengthy stay while they diagnosed. The guy at Advance knew about bricking the radio and used another battery to keep some voltage in the computers while he put in a new battery. Kudos to Advance.

My Accord Hybrid is 10 years old. Just had an episode with the 12 volt battery. It was cold and the battery must have been marginal. Drove 15 miles to pick up a friend for a day trip and couldn't restart the car. Got warnings about brake system malfunction, ABS malfunction, etc.. It was nuts. Finally got it shut off and after a few minutes, the 12 volt battery rebounded enough to start the car. Drove immediately to Advance Auto and had them put in a new battery, which, hopefully, cured the problem. The original 12 volt battery charges off the drive battery, so it didn't read dead after a 5 mile run to Advance, but it was still low. A battery wasn't cheap, but probably less than half what the local "stealership" would have charged and I would have had a lengthy stay while they diagnosed. The guy at Advance knew about bricking the radio and used another battery to keep some voltage in the computers while he put in a new battery. Kudos to Advance.
The 12v battery charge control is an issue I have too. It has never left me stranded but I notice it’s odd. The car won’t provide charging level voltage to the 12v battery unless the AC or headlights are on. It will just sustain the 12v bus at 12.6v, which isn’t even “float” voltage for a 12v battery. It will also drop over time when turned off and locked, for whatever reason. I routinely see 11.9-12v on one of it sits a few weeks. More or less doesn’t matter because all that needs to be operated are the power door locks and the rfid on the key chip to get the actual battery and engine going off of the HV system. But it does affect life of the 12v battery. If it was ever loaded, I’m sure it would not support load after a year or so since it doesn’t actually take load, it doesn’t really matter.

And it’s not just the HAH. My parents went on some multi-month vacations, and each time, their Prius 12v was dead, car inoperable, but their Subaru started right up. And they aren’t the type to maintenance charge a battery…

Aren’t Honda hybrid capable of going to 300k miles. Your battery cost is your factor just like timing belt and water pump are the factors for V6 owners but that battery cost should get cheaper unlike the belt job.

Aren’t Honda hybrid capable of going to 300k miles. Your battery cost is your factor just like timing belt and water pump are the factors for V6 owners but that battery cost should get cheaper unlike the belt job.
I'll find out about both over the coming years.
I'm now a little past 98K.

I rented one of these prior body style Accord Hybrids in San Diego in March 2023 and got only 44 mpg, but I wasn't exactly trying to conserve, either. Surprisingly good handling. Much more engaging than the Camry Hybrid, which I had rented months earlier.

The main problem with this generation of Accord is, the legroom is just not quite enough for a 6'7" guy. I painfully smashed my knee against the dash one time getting in. The Camry is better in this regard and would be my choice of the two, even though I enjoyed driving the Accord much more. I just don't think I could live with it as an every day driver.

Back