I need a long lasting fuel efficient vehicle (not a hybrid, electric, or PHEV)

You may not have first hand experience or know, but when they came out with this body style and powertrain I test drove one and tried to negotiate one down before buying my Mazda 6. I couldn’t stand the way the transmission was programmed to up shift so fast. I think it was lugging around the dealer lot in 3rd at like 10mph. Nothing was wrong, it was just the way it was programmed. I read a lot of noise about it on the internet and everyone suspected they’d update software, but when I bought my Mazda I quit reading up on it.
I'm aware of the complaints when the 8 speed first came out. Lots of complaints about shifting behavior, very few had issues but the behavior was unpleasant. Toyota rectified that years ago. I find the transmission programming to be just about perfect. I want my transmissions to behave in a responsive manner yet upshift as soon as possible while staying in the power band. This does that. No complaints from me. In fact, one of my pet peeves is when transmissions hold gears longer than necessary. Give me all the power I want when I want it, and then get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible when I don't.

I'm aware of the complaints when the 8 speed first came out. Lots of complaints about shifting behavior, very few had issues but the behavior was unpleasant. Toyota rectified that years ago. I find the transmission programming to be just about perfect. I want my transmissions to behave in a responsive manner yet upshift as soon as possible while staying in the power band. This does that. No complaints from me. In fact, one of my pet peeves is when transmissions hold gears longer than necessary. Give me all the power I want when I want it, and then get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible when I don't.
Figured it wasn’t an actual problem, just the way they chose to program it. I wanted to like it for Toyota reliability, but I disliked the interior of the higher end ones, only really liked the LE interior (for HVAC controls etc) but they wouldn’t budge a bit on price because they were so new at the time. Mazda was a way better bang for the buck then (in 2018).

I’ll second the Prius as a surprisingly long lived vehicle.

we had a 6mt 2018 civic with the 1.5t. 40mpg on the highway without trying. I’ve posted plenty about our experience with oil, in the face of all the concerns about dilution. Was a wonderful vehicle and would gladly have one again (son’s, and he traded it for something bigger).

with the OP’s requirements, I’d be a sucker for a used diesel Jetta.

my 2018 f150 2.7 ecoboost currently registers 21.2 mpg average (I’m an easy driver with an easy commute). You should be targeting 35+ if the goal is an efficient cruiser.

im fairly certain the late model 4 cyl accords will return superb highway mileage; our 2015 Crv averages 27.4, and it’s not tiny or low to the ground.

My comment was based on the previous generation HRV-since the OP didn't rule out used vehicles. The previous generation HRV was quite frankly terrible-another stinker by Honda. The newest one may be OK. As things go on here I don't think the OP will layout what Honda wants-plus mark up on a new one.

What's wrong with the old HRV? :unsure:

It has the same R18 engine the Civic used to have, a good CVT (or manual transmission), and reliable as any other Honda.

The only bad thing about the HRV it's based on is when compared to the Fit. It's bigger and gets worse gas mileage while not having any more space inside and costing more money. But it's still not a bad car.

What's wrong with the old HRV? :unsure:

It has the same R18 engine the Civic used to have, a good CVT (or manual transmission), and reliable as any other Honda.

The only bad thing about the HRV it's based on is when compared to the Fit. It's bigger and gets worse gas mileage while not having any more space inside and costing more money. But it's still not a bad car.
No it was a bad car. Read the reviews. Honda has made some stinkers. The HRV, The Fit, The Cross Tour. The power train is only one factor in what makes a vehicle.

Ford Fusion. The non hybrid is pretty basic mechanical wise and parts are easy to come by. Roomy and comfy highway cruiser.

Although Ford did nix their entire car lineup, I'd imagine 3rd party parts will go on until rust kills it.

Some of these reviews are comical. Edmunds rates Taos and Trailblazer high, Corolla Cross and new HRV low. OK. Sure.

I don't have any use for a vehicle that is really neat, for 100,000 miles, then nickels and dimes you to death. I need half a million.

buster, I would add some Mazda products. New CX-30, although OP said no turbo. CX-5 and your CX-3 have always been winners to me.

Some of these reviews are comical. Edmunds rates Taos and Trailblazer high, Corolla Cross and new HRV low. OK. Sure.

I don't have any use for a vehicle that is really neat, for 100,000 miles, then nickels and dimes you to death. I need half a million.

buster, I would add some Mazda products. New CX-30, although OP said no turbo. CX-5 and your CX-3 have always been winners to me.
Good call forgot about the Mazda 2.0L.

Honda HRV or CrossTrek will fit your requirements. Don’t get bent on GDI as it is completely variable to car maker and engine if an issue or not. Minority have an issue and it is more on older used…

The sedans mentioned are fine if you never plan on leaving pavement otherwise expect to tear up underbelly .

No it was a bad car. Read the reviews. Honda has made some stinkers. The HRV, The Fit, The Cross Tour. The power train is only one factor in what makes a vehicle.

What's wrong with it? What problems does the old HRV have? :unsure:

The HRV is fuel-efficient and lasts a long time :)

What's wrong with it? What problems does the old HRV have? :unsure:

The HRV is fuel-efficient and lasts a long time :)

If you solely base a purchasing decision on a power train-then yes. However-I'm not going to rehash the numerous reviews on this vehicle that points out the negatives that to me overrides the powertrain. Google is your friend.

I'm in the same boat looking at my next car purchase. I'm driving a 2020 Hyundai Elantra with a 2.0L port-injected engine on their CVT. I was really concerned about the CVT but it has been flawless to this point (60K miles). My only complaints on this car to this point are the key fob (poor design) and some of the automated lane-keeping software sucks. I get false alerts that my hands are not on the wheel and it alarms so I ended up shutting it off entirely.

I run 20K/year for work with a mixture of highway/city driving and I average in the high 30s, and can easily get over 40mpg on just highway driving. When driving 2-lane near 60mph I can hit 45-50mpg if I'm playing the fuel economy game. If you were just doing HWY driving the ROI on hybrids doesn't make much sense but they get much better mpg's for taxi work.

It is a personal preference thing for the looks but I think the Elantra's are ugly and the price has gone up to the point where they are not that much cheaper than the Honda/Toyota offerings so I'm targeting a Civic LX for my next vehicle that I'll buy in late 2024. The Civic has a similar space/size, and more conservative styling. I like the simple driver controls/layout.

I looked at the Corolla but it is too small for my needs. The newer Civics feel more like an Accord of yesteryear as these things tend to grow an inch every refresh.

The base engine is 2.0L port-injected and has plenty of power for my needs.

Back