I need a long lasting fuel efficient vehicle (not a hybrid, electric, or PHEV)

Finding a vehicle with skid plates should be a higher priority than worrying about what material the oil pan is made of.

Well yes, skid plates help with that but I can also avoid the ford junk too

My answer is Corolla Cross or HRV.
I like the look of the Corolla Cross.
The 2023/24 HRV has a worse EPA rating than the CRV. Both DI iirc. CRV is turbo. We have a 2017 HRV. Surprisingly poor mileage for the size.
IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg

Last edited:
I know a lot of newer engines have plastic stuff on them.. If I get high sided on some forest road in Colorado I’d rather have a steel pan than a composite one if I hit something. Hell, even a flying rock on the highway could crack it.
I had a VW with a cast oil pan. Guess what they were known for? shattering if hit with anything. They would not deform like a standard stamped metal pan. So watch out for that.

Also I’ve been watching a lot of engine teardowns and it seems oil pans are getting more shallow while they add a lower bedplate. Those bedplates are pretty robust, but are still cast aluminum. Not sure how that enters in here, but want to make sure that you are aware of both.

My parents have a 2019 kia forte. 2.0l engine, CVT (chain driven). It's been flawless to date, but not driven much. I hopped in one day 2 or 3 years ago and took a pic of the mileage meter, 5.0 l/100 km converts to 47 mpg (all rural/small town driving). Even if its optimistic, 40+ is quite good.

When it comes to engine/transmission, don't know anything about it to be honest. It's now at 20,000+ km but still way to early to talk about longevity.

kia.jpg

I had a hand me down Corolla from my daughter, was an oil burner. I replaced it with a Mazda 3, I currently have 215k on the clock and still strong. I would take that Mazda over the Toyota any day. Much nicer and fun to drive too. I'm even a hardcore Toyota guy.

I had a hand me down Corolla from my daughter, was an oil burner. I replaced it with a Mazda 3, I currently have 215k on the clock and still strong. I would take that Mazda over the Toyota any day. Much nicer and fun to drive too. I'm even a hardcore Toyota guy.

Mazdas are nice until the rust :sneaky:

I would expect Honda's moving to a "minimalist" look to not excite reviewers.

I will need convincing on the new and greatly improved HRV not being just what the doctor ordered for OP.

Please elaborate.

My comment was based on the previous generation HRV-since the OP didn't rule out used vehicles. The previous generation HRV was quite frankly terrible-another stinker by Honda. The newest one may be OK. As things go on here I don't think the OP will layout what Honda wants-plus mark up on a new one.

I recently purchased a 2023 Camry. It uses Toyotas "Dynamic Force" 2.5 engine that utilizes both port and direct injection, eliminating the concern of direct injection carbon build up. 40+ MPG on the interstate is easily achieved, mixed city driving you can hit over 30. That's fantastic IMO for a vehicle this size, power is acceptable as well at 203 HP. It also has the Aisin 8 speed transmission, no CVT. This is about as long a lasting new vehicle that you can purchase now.
You may not have first hand experience or know, but when they came out with this body style and powertrain I test drove one and tried to negotiate one down before buying my Mazda 6. I couldn’t stand the way the transmission was programmed to up shift so fast. I think it was lugging around the dealer lot in 3rd at like 10mph. Nothing was wrong, it was just the way it was programmed. I read a lot of noise about it on the internet and everyone suspected they’d update software, but when I bought my Mazda I quit reading up on it.

I like the look of the Corolla Cross.
The 2023/24 HRV has a worse EPA rating than the CRV. Both DI iirc. CRV is turbo. We have a 2017 HRV. Surprisingly poor mileage for the size.
View attachment 175449View attachment 175450
The new HR-V has a port-injected K20 under the hood. Essentially the same engine that's fitted to the Civic LX and Sport.

The Crosstrek with manual transmission is a pretty good choice. It may not meet your needs, but is a Subaru, long lived and reliable.

The CVT in the Crosstrek is not a long life unit.
I work with a guy that has a 2014 manual. He has 130k on it now and loves it.

My 2012 Impreza (non-lifted crosstrek) had 80,000ish when I sold it. That CVT got a lot of WOT time. The wife's 2012 Outback has 85,000ish miles, and my wife is a lead-foot. Both CVT's work fine.

My CX-5's 6 speed auto works MUCH better, the best auto I've ever driven. My wife is thinking about buying a CX-5, now.

Back