Interesting observation of BMW X5 hybrid

A few days ago I happened to rent a 2023 BMW X5 hybrid for a week. Had reserved a truck but the wife insisted we rent something more civilized. Luckily they had this beemer (with I think 3,200 miles on it) so we got it.

The car has many doodads. The inside is a complete break from the IC vehicles that we have. Even though I claim to be a luddite, I quite liked the amount of information available to me. Very impressive. But they have listened to their customers and have actual buttons for the climate control, and the radio :)

The car was quite powerful and fast. For the first couple of days I didn't know how it worked but then I found in the car settings menu the diagrams of how the drivetrain functioned and things became clearer. You can drive up to 40 mph on electric if you squeeze the gas pedal very gingerly or you can have both IC and electric if gunning it. I mean, the thing was fast and the IC versus electric versus hybrid were invisible if you didn't know what to look for.

Didn't calculate the MPG-s because couldn't figure out how the odometer worked.

One downside was that you have to close the door yourself. We drove a couple of times with the door open, complaining about the road noise and wondering why the dome light would come on periodically regardless of how many times you tuned it off. And wondering what the red flashing accent light on the door handle means...

Overall, a very competent machine. The wife complained about feeling the road in it versus our GL550 but that's when we were driving with the door ajar.

Loved the car.

Are you talking the passenger doors or the gate? I assume you were expecting the "auto close" feature that some MB's and Audi's have?

And yes, my wife is in love with the X5 xDrive45e (though you probably had a 50e, being 2023).

Yes, the auto close for the passenger doors. The car felt high class and auto close would have been appropriate. But then, maybe it's for X7 level (not sure if they have X7)

Yes, the auto close for the passenger doors. The car felt high class and auto close would have been appropriate. But then, maybe it's for X7 level (not sure if they have X7)
BMW has it, for a long time, even on 3 series, but it is an additional feature except 7 series and X7. GL550 would be X7 category.

I think X5 hybrid is currently the hottest take in the luxury segment. There is nothing matching that powertrain and mpg.

was the auto stop/start button removed from this X5 like it is on the LCI G30?

was the auto stop/start button removed from this X5 like it is on the LCI G30?
It's hybrid, the IC engine is off when coasting or stopped and there is no button to override it as far as I could tell. It's an invisible process to the driver, unless you watch the speedometer (it is blue when electric and orange when the IC is on) or the drivetrain graphics, you don't know when the IC is on.

There were a bunch of buttons that I didn't press without reading the manual - didn't want to change the settings on somebody else's car.

Last edited:
BMW has it, for a long time, even on 3 series, but it is an additional feature except 7 series and X7. GL550 would be X7 category.

I think X5 hybrid is currently the hottest take in the luxury segment. There is nothing matching that powertrain and mpg.
Same deal with Mercedes. Mine has that feature, but you don't find too many that do.

It's hybrid, the IC engine is off when coasting or stopped and there is no button to override it as far as I could tell. It's an invisible process to the driver, unless you watch the speedometer (it is blue when electric and orange when the IC is on) or the drivetrain graphics, you don't know when the IC is on.

There were a bunch of buttons that I didn't press without reading the manual - didn't want to change the settings on somebody else's car.
Yes, and like you, I found the execution flawless, and it has tons of power.

The mpg to power ratio that BMW gets it's crazy. Was it their X1 or 330i that got some 40+mpg doing 75mph?

The X3 and X5 are very nice. When I worked at BMW I drove almost every iPerformance variant and the X5 was one of my favorites. Jeep essentially uses the same powertrain configuration in their 4xe models.
I know that the new M5 will be a PHEV, but I wish BMW would build a hybrid 2 or 3 Series using the I6 motor. I'd be extremely tempted by a M240e or M340e.

Last edited:
The X3 and X5 are very nice. When I worked at BMW I drove almost every iPerformance variant and the X5 was one of my favorites. Jeep essentially uses the same powertrain configuration in their 4xe models.
I know that the new M5 will be a PHEV, but I wish BMW would build a hybrid 2 or 3 Series using the I6 motor. I'd be extremely tempted by a M240e or M340e.

Iirc BMW is filtering this hybrid setup to all models.

It did. To avoid lane correction, it's important to use the blinkers. Otherwise the car may think you are unintentionally veering off course.
My wife's X3 will vibrate like crazy if you try to veer from your lane without signaling. It's a good safety feature, which I wish my 535 had.

Back